It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SitX .....Many here can Talk a tough fight....but what about reality?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
For months now I have read thread upon thread of unrealistic responses to what people would do in a SitX. Most of the advice is good. solid advice made by well informed, trustworthy people. To these people I will be forever grateful for the education they have given me. What I am talking about now is the people that highjack these threads with nonsense equal to ( and pardon my crudeness ) juvenile D***-waving contests! I'm talking about the ones that plan on blowing away anyone coming through their door to take their guns or steal their food or any number of things that threaten them. The ones that think the army will send a whole squad of men after them with bullets blazing. The ones that will swear that they will go down in a blaze of glory before anyone makes off with a box of their Mac-N-Cheese. I see too much fantasy and not enough reality in their posts.

It is going to take a cool head to get through any SitX . These Blaze-of-Glory fantasies will get you nothing but dead! Spreading these delusions will get other people killed.

We need to keep it real!

That's my rant and I'm sticking to it! LOL

Let the flaming begin.....................

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I imagine this is related to my thread.
If it is, thats cool.....I am not afraid to admit. I am scared. And the bad thing is I don't know what I am scared of. I have been asking alot of questions. cause I want a few opnions. I might be going about it the wrong way. I am not in any kinda of way trying to get anyone hurt, or scare anyone.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Shystargazer

either they are being sarcastic and just trying to disrupt the thread

or they have completely lost touch with reality and think that they have unlimited lives and can hit reset once they get a game over

*i am a gamer, not an avid one though, just like to dabble, and i have a firm grasp of reality ... i believe some who tend to over indulge and damage one's mental capacity for distinguishing between reality and what's a game ... just a thought ...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by realboogyman

NONONO.......I was not referring to your thread! I have read dozens of threads and didn't mean to single out anyone. I was talking about responses in general. I am scared too! That is why I turned to ATS in the first place. I have learned so much here. Some of that advice got me through the Ice storm a few weeks ago when I had no electricity for a week. I used all of the rational information to keep myself warm, healthy and fed. I did not sit here with my gun in my lap waiting for someone to break into my house and do me harm.

You can drive yourself crazy thinking about the worst things that could happen to you. What we need to do is learn what to do and think with a clear head. Fear will be the worst enemy that you will have to fight.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
OK because I posted www.abovetopsecret.com...

today. Because I see all this and I wonder how me could make it through something.
The last thing I won't to do is spread fear. There is enough of that everywhere.
I ask questions trying to learn (I have always been like this)
I read alot trying to understand what to do in such and such situation, what to expect how to act. I know for me the fear is going to be the hardest part. But I will admit if things get bad, I will not let my family get hurt. And I will do what it takes to keep them safe.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

By all means keep your family safe!! Use every means possible!

Watch the situation as it develops. I doubt that any danger will be immediate. Adjust your lifestyle accordingly. Avoid anything that would put you or your family in danger. Be careful about who you think you can trust.

I envy your family. They have you to protect them. I am a 58 year old widow with no one to protect me. I am learning to do it myself.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I think that I have a realistic picture of the reality of it all. I think I expressed it nicely in this post when I say 85% chance if left alone and a 35%-40% chance if interfered with over all. Of course those odds can be lowered as well depending on the who and how determined the "they" are.

I mean the "they" could be roving bands that exploit some food sources or militia/military types that are just out right on a mission of seek and destroy/capture.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shystargazer
...nonsense equal to ( and pardon my crudeness ) juvenile D***-waving contests! I'm talking about the ones that plan on blowing away anyone coming through their door to take their guns or steal their food or any number of things that threaten them. The ones that think the army will send a whole squad of men after them with bullets blazing. The ones that will swear that they will go down in a blaze of glory before anyone makes off with a box of their Mac-N-Cheese. I see too much fantasy and not enough reality in their posts.

Here is a quote for you: "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Do you know who said that? Do you know when he said that? Do you know WHY he said that?

Does "Give me liberty, or give me death!" also sound like a "juvenile D***-waving contest" to you?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Ahabstar
I have come up with numbers very close to yours. I figure where I live if my wife and I did everything right about a 50% chance of making it 5 years and about zero for 10 years. If you look at the number of people North America supported in the way back time I figure 90% will be gone in 3 to 7 years.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Well I've always given information upon request/ nature of thread (I don't want to sound like I'm an expert here, let's just say I know more thatn the common person) but with it I also add that it's highly doubtful that a squad of "THEM" (DA DA DAA) would raid your house.
First of all it would be an unnecessary risk and second why even bother to raid some random guys house. Secondly I believe that 99.9% of the military would deny to execute such an order (or at least my buddies).
Most people talk allot about being "high speed" but then pee their pants the second their buddies head gets blown off clean of he's neck. Which is the expected reaction by the way...
People who fantasize about gunfights will probably never be in one and people who have been in gunfights pray to god that they never have to be in one again.

Given the nature of my work right now in Colombia South America I know I could handle myself in a fight, I would just rather not (never)...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sir_chancealot

Here is a quote for you: "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Do you know who said that? Do you know when he said that? Do you know WHY he said that?

Does "Give me liberty, or give me death!" also sound like a "juvenile D***-waving contest" to you?

Relax bro, the 2nd amendment is only good if it's there to protect the 1st amendment, besides there is a difference between a great man who was a colonel in the revolution and some guy who just plays video games all day and then claim he's the next Rambo or something.

EDIT By the way the man who said this didn't support the constitution at all saying it gave the state too much power...

[edit on 12-3-2009 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by waterdoctor

Here in Oxford, if the university is in session, the population is roughly 25,000. There is a pre-built shelter of an old metal tank like a fuel tank about three miles from where I am sitting. It is not my land, so I have nothing cached there. But I know exactly where it is. The location is not easy to reach on foot and given its age, no one might know it is there.

There is a nearby large creek wit plenty of fish. The woods have plenty of flora and fauna. Enough to support 100 people indefinitely. Should do for a temporary holdout until a better structure can be built deeper in the woods (about 2 miles from the tank) and farther from causal wanderers.

Failing that, I know other areas that should be rather secluded within 20-25 miles. My confidence is based on all the old Indian settlements and village remnants that can be found in these areas. Some look to have held populations close to 150-200 or even more if housing was tightly packed.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Shystargazer

You are so right. I may be one of the 'tough talkers' myself. I like to think that growing my own food from heritage seeds, owning a few guns, having a water stockpile, emergency kits and extra medications, things like this, are getting myself and family ready for a sit-x. Last week we left the house to go pay a couple of bills. We were returning home about a half hour later and were detoured to street after street, unable to get anywhere near our home. As helicopters flew overhead ( an unusual sight) police were on every corner for miles directing us away from the area of our home, questions were answered with ' this is an evacuation, move along' and no answer to what was happening. Finally a warning from the civil defense system (on the radio) advised us that a chemical spill had occured, hydrocloric acid, 8000 gallons of it, spilled not 2 blocks from my home. All of the sudden I was helpless. It struck me that unless things happened in a way that placed us in our home, and we could basically stay there, we are screwed. We didn't even have a quarter of a tank of gas in the truck and all our money was at home. I couldn't even save my poor little poodles who were still in the house if they had needed saving. We are certainly rethinking a plan now.

edit to add: BTW, somehow 8000 gallons of spilled hydrochloric acid was 'ok' after a short hour or so. I still don't understand that, how the hell do you spill that much acid in a residential area and clean it up in one hour????

[edit on 13-3-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Carry a weapon with you at all times and make a BOB that stays in your vehicle just in case. And take your dogs with you when you go places.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

We are getting our license this week to allow us to carry a concealed weapon at all times ( new laws in Ga allows that) and also a camper top for the dogs so we can carry them all at one time, right now we only take 2 of 4 with us when we go places and allow them to ride.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Thats one thing i love about Idaho. I can carry a firearm with me or on me any where i want. Except gov't buildings of course. Very lax gun laws for hunters.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I gave you your first star in this thread as its somthing I have been thinking of for awhile. It reminds me of a conversation I was having with my little brother and his friends the other day. 2 of them were bragging about getting in fist fights and I just stopped them and said you know how I know you havent been in a fight? Because even if you win your gonna be hurt and from the way your talking you can tell you have never felt your fist hit a person square in the jaw. They all got silent. Sadly the people on these boards that do as you say will probably not get silent.

I have never purchased a gun before but have shot many and own 1 pump action .22 . This weekend I will be buying my first hand gun and then I will be buying a shotgun. I plan on doing everything in my power to stay alive and I'm very much a fighter. Sadly I know I'm not prepared yet and who knows if I ever really will be. My wife is finally on board about having a stock of food and water and ammo/guns.

The thing I think about when I read the posts you mention is how those people will probably not make it very long. reality is tough and more then likely we will be seeing something in the next few years that many in the world thought would never happen. We can't worry about everyone so lucky for us we have smart people on these boards who can give us advice. I have already purchased a survival book that somebody mentioned on here and it made for a great start in my process.

I guess my post was more of a rant but its late and I'm waiting for the dow to get ready to drop.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Yeah, we have one city here (Kennesaw) where it is illegal to live there unless you DO own a gun. There are no parolees or probationers there unless they live in the home with a licensed gun owner, therefore not many criminals live in the area. Low crime rate is proof that something is working there.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I carry a concealed weapon, And I try and stay alert to everyone and everything around me. therre is a weapon on me or within my reach around the clock. Because I don't know who I can trust or what some people are up to.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   

That is a good idea.
And trust is something that needs to be earned.
I trust very few also.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by Anuubis]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join