It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five facts about Friday the 13th

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Did you know that Franklin D. Roosevelt wouldn't travel on Friday the 13th?

If Friday the 13th is unlucky, then 2009 is an unusually unlucky year. This week's Friday the 13th is one of three to endure this year.

The first came last month. The next is in November. Such a rare triple-threat occurs only once every 11 years.

The origin of the link between bad luck and Friday the 13th is murky. The whole thing might date to Biblical times (the 13th guest at the Last Supper betrayed Jesus). By the Middle Ages, both Friday and 13 were considered bearers of bad fortune. In modern times, the superstition permeates society.

Here are five of our favorite Friday-the-13th facts:

1. Fear of Friday the 13th — one of the most popular myths in science — is called paraskavedekatriaphobia as well as friggatriskaidekaphobia. Triskaidekaphobia is fear of the number 13.

2. Many hospitals have no room 13, while some tall buildings skip the 13th floor and some airline terminals omit Gate 13.

3. President Franklin D. Roosevelt would not travel on the 13th day of any month and would never host 13 guests at a meal. Napoleon and President Herbert Hoover were also triskaidekaphobic, with an abnormal fear of the number 13.

4. Mark Twain once was the 13th guest at a dinner party. A friend warned him not to go. "It was bad luck," Twain later told the friend. "They only had food for 12." Superstitious diners in Paris can hire a quatorzieme, or professional 14th guest.

5. The number 13 suffers from its position after 12, according to numerologists who consider the latter to be a complete number — 12 months in a year, 12 signs of the zodiac, 12 gods of Olympus, 12 labors of Hercules, 12 tribes of Israel, 12 apostles of Jesus, 12 days of Christmas and 12 eggs in a dozen.

Pythagorean legacy
Meanwhile the belief that numbers are connected to life and physical things — called numerology — has a long history.

"You can trace it all the way from the followers of Pythagoras, whose maxim to describe the universe was 'all is number,'" says Mario Livio, an astrophysicist and author of "The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved" (Simon & Schuster, 2005). Thinkers who studied under the famous Greek mathematician combined numbers in different ways to explain everything around them.
SOURCE

[edit on 12/3/2009 by GEORGETHEGREEK]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

I happen to like Friday the 13's. I don't suffer from the bad luck day. It's all in your mind, I view it as a good day.

Wasn't Friday the thirteenth the day in which the Knights Templar were massacred. I always thought that was the origins of the bad luck myth.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Nice...

I was in aviation (Apaches, Black Hawks) in the Army and there were NO hangars numbered 13...which may of been good, because we were #14 and had the lowest 'incident' blotter on base.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

On 11 October, two days before the arrest of many Templar Knights, it is recorded in French Masonic history that Templar ships left La Rochelle, heading to Scotland. On Friday the 13th, in October 1307, Jacques de Molay, the Grand Master of the Knights Templar, and 60 of his senior knights were arrested in Paris.

Source

If this is the case, I would think Friday the 13th would be celebrated big time...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
it was Friday the 13th 1 month ago.

Nothing happened to me...

Move along...

edit - added; to me

[edit on 12-3-2009 by Grey Magic]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Now how is this for bad luck?

"The building collapsed completely at 5:20 p.m., when a critical column on the 13th Floor buckled and triggered structural failure throughout."

Can you guess which number building is being referenced? Unlucky WTC Building 7. Looks like 13 got the best of 7 in this war of numbers. According to the source anyway...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

I didn't mean that something was to happen to you tommorow!

Just thought this would be an interesting thread as we have just entered Friday the 13th.....

Just be carefull in any case

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

thank you but I still have my nine lives

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Cuhail was born on Friday the Thirteenth in June, 1969. (6-13)
Cuhail was 6 Pounds, 13 oz.
Cuhail's real name, first and last (no middle) has 13 letters.
Cuhail was his Irish mother's 13th pregnancy. (and last! whew!)
When Cuhail was born, one of his older brothers was thirteen.
When Cuhail was 13, that same brother died. (USMC, SEMPER FI!)

Friday the Thirteenth means much to me.

It's cool.
Cuhail

PS. I hate third person!
But, it had to be done.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

Could of been me own brain dancing then. I remembered something about the Knights and Friday the 13.
Ignorance now denied.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
well in a small town in Southern Ontario, Can.Port Dover Every Friday 13 , motorcyle members and enthusist gather to "show and shine" their bikes, and do what bikers wil do.Theres a strong police presence that remains in the backdrop, as a no color rule is requested and followed. Usually getting 10 to 20 thousand bikers, depending of course when the friday occurs. Weather wise. For a small town of 4000 , its a boost to the local economy

[edit on 12-3-2009 by branty]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
My father used to tell me it was bad luck to break your leg or lose your pocketbook on Friday the 13th...

I wound up asking, "Why?" once...

LOL! Ok, in my defense, I was...eight, maybe?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Friday the 13th is only a bad if you're a Templer - see above post as it is the true origin of the folklore. It's amazing what you'll find out if you look into the origins of susperstions. One of my favs is why people say 'god bless you' after a sneeze. Too funny. Ever notice how we say things and do things and we don't even know why? Always been an interest of mine and I've discovered some really silly reasons to be sure.

I love this story: Once on a Friday 13th as a joke I played 666 on the daily three lotto - and won $1000. Muhahaha Bummer was if I'd invested $10 on the ticket I woulda won $100k! Guess what I'm doing tomorrow!

Friday 13th has always been lucky for me. Remember the law of attraction peeps, so much of the world is our perception not necessarily reality...whatever that is

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Wasn't it because of the spray when you sneezed people thought that your soul was escaping. Diddo about the date. it's only bad if you keep the I hate this day mentality.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU
reply to post by Whisper67

Wasn't it because of the spray when you sneezed people thought that your soul was escaping. Diddo about the date. it's only bad if you keep the I hate this day mentality.

Exactly
They believed you were open to possession. ::giggles::

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
My day started... not so good, not so bad...
I did not wake up today due to excaustion.....
So i consider it neutral. Nothing happened so far except for the fact that some of professional issues were not advanced. I 'll guess its normal. You cannot be perfect every single day.

How your resolution so far?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Funny. I tend to like the number 13. I prefer odd numbers over even anyways. But since 13 has such a taboo attached to it, I tend to be the opposite and embrance it

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Dupe!

[edit on 3/13/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Hehe

It's hard for me to be superstious on friday the 13 ... I was born on a friday the 13 ... which also a holy friday. I believe that combination occured 4 times during the 20th century.

www.assa.org.au...

That led me to believe that I was the antichrist

Good friday the 13 everyone !

[edit on 13-3-2009 by grandnic]

[edit on 13-3-2009 by grandnic]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
My husband and I had our very first date on a Friday the 13th. I must admit, I've got a soft spot for the date!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join