It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Considers Request to Deploy Troops to the Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Obama Considers Request to Deploy Troops to the Border

www.foxnews.com

President Obama is considering whether to grant emergency requests for National Guard troops along the U.S.-Mexico border, as drug-related violence spirals out of control in the country's southern neighbor.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.mcclatchydc.com
www.dallasnews.com

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Finally.

I think this was way too long in coming, to be honest. I read this and saw that several requests had been put in by different states. It was my understanding that the governor of a state could use the national guard as he saw fit....

I personally support the idea of moving combat forces to the border regions. I'd like to see how well a cartel handles against the US military. What do you think?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
If he does it - and does it right - I'll give him a gold star for the day.
It's long overdue. So is the dang security wall.
Not a fence .. but a wall.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It would be one of the few things he's done that I could support. But looking at the base of support of the Democratic party, I don't think it'll happen. I think there are a lot of far-left liberals who won't go for it, plus he also has to worry about the reaction of the Hispanic population in the US, which votes overwhelmingly Democratic.

So if for no other reason than political expediency, he'll ultimately reject this, unfortunately.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Yeah. I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, Obama has been a liar on almost every issue he talked about on the campaign trail.

And while he's ``thinking`` about that, he's also thinking amnesty for all illegals. I'm pretty sure amnesty have a better chance of passing then having troops on the border.

If he puts troops on the border, it's gonna be used as an excuse to force us into a north american union, saying we need to help mexico, we can't have troops on the border like that forever, we need commerce to restart the economy... or some BS like that. Or american troops dying fighting drug cartels... that would be Obama's style.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well, it's been a few weeks. Did the troops get deployed?

All I saw was that he increased the number of troops to stop the SOUTHERN flow out .. not the northern flow in.
Kinda strange.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Well if we stop the flow in then that would cut off our drug supply. Apparently we are so addicted to drugs that we are responsible for this whole mess.

We cut off the way out because we are responsible for the flow of weapons that the cartels are using.

Everything that is happening in Mexico is our fault. We should all invite an illegal to stay in our house free of charge.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Well, it's been a few weeks. Did the troops get deployed?

All I saw was that he increased the number of troops to stop the SOUTHERN flow out .. not the northern flow in.
Kinda strange.

What?

Is obama now trying to stop taxpayers from escaping?

Or is he trying to stop "fugitives" from his mandatory government "service" program?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Turns out that he rejected that idea and instead sent 400 pistol packing federal agents to do the job that should be done by the US Army. All he did was give the cartels 400 more targets

WE NEED THE REGULAR ARMY ON THE BORDER NOW! Not the National Guard, not the Feds, not the Border Patrol but the regular active duty US Army.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ChrisF231

Not the National Guard, not the Feds, not the Border Patrol but the regular active duty US Army.

I'm sorry, your request has been denied. The US military is currently occupied in areas all over the world, including two war zones. Will increase to three once Darfur comes into play.

Seriously, the drug war is thinning out the gangs as they kill each other. If I was a betting man, I would say Washington wants to make Mexico an issue for a possible unification, limit guns, or get their piece of the pie. Ultimately all sides will come to terms for the best interest of the business.

new topics

top topics

join