It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police race to stop Real IRA bomb plot

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

I love how the brits desparately want to believe this rubbish.

And for a race who supposedly have english as their first language they seem to have difficulty with understanding my saying, as I have done several times that I don't support this current outbreak of violence.

However I am a republican and a supporter of a united Ireland and I will continue regardless of the blind mindset of the British people who come on here and the obvious pro loyalists (who never disarmed) to point out where the peace treaty has been dishonoured by those parties who signed to it.

I will also never cease as a loyal Irishman in stating the fact that a united Ireland will come about and is the only true solution to an Irish problem.

So all you unionists continue with your battering of me and derailing the thread rather then talking about the reasons for the return of the violence and how it can be stopped rather then espousing the same old rubbish and failed policies that caused 30 years of war previously.

It is worth pointing out that the peace process was brought about in the first place by discussions between John Hume and Gerry Adams which then broaden to encompass the wider parties.

An Irish solution to an Irish problem which is why as an Irishman I can state the issues which if addressed can bring a swift end to this violence.

By the way I really like how if I as a supporter of a united Ireland espouse my wish for same am denounced as a terrorist while those who espouse the union are somehow not!!! laughable.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by count66

My family is from the north, Donaghadee to be exact. Although I'm from the orange side of things and am related to James Craig the first prime minister of Ireland and grand master of the orange lodge, I too would like to see a united Ireland. But a united Ireland where everyone concerned can live peacefully. Unfortunately it will never happen, at least not in our lifetime, because you people cannot let go of centuries of hate. That's what the peace process was about, healing the rifts and putting Ireland first, and who is trying to destroy it? The Republicans! McGuiness was right when he said that these people are traitors to Ireland.
As far as I'm concerned both sides of this argument are as bad as each other. Or at least they were until recently. . .
If Ireland was united before everyone concerned agreed to it all you would do is have the tit-for-tat killings continue and what would be the point of that?
This problem is no longer about religious divides. It's no longer about past attrocities carried out by both sides, or the marchers rubbing catholic noses in it by celebrating the Battle Of The Boyne. Its more personal than that. People on both sides hated each other purely because they had family who had been killed by the opposite number. It's all about revenge.
And like I said earlier, and I know and understand why you don't like hearing it, but until the hatred is removed the healing process cannot begin, and it's only after that sore has healed that people can start the process of uniting.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by count66

amazing - i mention things from the 1980`s and 1990`s - you dig in far gone history when 99% of this forum was `ny even born from the early 70`s.

i can also do that - the slaughter at bogside.

oh wait im sure you don`t want to know that Taoiseach Jack Lynch worked along side the RUC and the british army to provide medical care for the protestants , and that he also provided intelligence to help protect the catholics in the week after bogside with the events in belfast.

you can paint history as you will - but PEACE broke out; its the dogs in the RIRA that want to kill catholic policeman and catholic pizza drivers.

and thats what gets you isn`t it - the RIRA will kill catholics and protestants alike , those are not the actions of freedom fighters - just animals who can`t accept that PEACE has broken out and have nothing left other than killing.

do you see army patrols anymore? NO of course not.

how big is the garrison? do you even have a clue?

oh and of course you know that Garda undercover officers are working with the PSNI to get these animals don`t you?

so bleat away , no one , north or south wants a repeat of the `troubles` , no one wants a united ireland as it would be pushed to being a backwater island of nothing ness - if only the idiots in the fake sinn fein would understand that right now ireland has a voice , has developement and everyone gets along.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

I accept what your saying re: the violence on both sides and the assistance offered by the south - I never said anything to contradicted you -
I was just pointing out the errors where people said that the British Army never committed atrocities either - if you check my posts you will see this.

This is a fact most British people who come on here just won't accept. Unless that too is understood then the reason that the British army should be removed becomes evident as they are not trusted by 46% of the population of NI. This was also why it was mentioned as one of the main aims of the treaty.

This does not mean immediate dissolution of the union or anything like that - it just means stop placing provocation in the way - why is it necessary if you want peace - it just isn't and thats a simple fact - Sinn Fein are sick of pointing this out for the past ten years and whether you like them or not they brought the provos with them and there would have been no peace without that - they even got the provos to decommission - something the unionists have not been able to achieve with their terror organisations.

NI was a dirty war on all sides - British Army included - a fact most people in Britain seem to want to gloss over.

As to my posts going back into past detail - well I'm only 32 so I think most people on here would have been born and lived through the things I have described. Plus unless you understand the history of NI (I'm not saying you don't - you seem to have a decent grasp) then you can't talk about what needs to be done as the roots of the conflict are historical -

Also, on the Island of Ireland the vast majority want a united Ireland - fact.

The fact that NI is part of the union does not alter our economic status one way or the other and perhaps even hinders it - hence the advent of the north south bodies.

Stop for the millionth time people - painting me as a RIRA sympathiser - this is utterly false.

This is an anonymous board so I can flat out say what I like - I can hide my IP address - re route through public proxy servers - set up a new name and come on here doing just that if I was but I haven't because I'm not.

Somehow being a republican (let me point out as a member of the party that is in power in the south that that too is a republican party - its their motto) seems to make me a RIRA member - utter rubbish.

A republican is someone who supports the constitutional government of the south and North and aspires to a free and united Ireland. An aspiration held I would say by about 85 to 90% of the people of Ireland - Ireland is 32 counties and not just 6!!!

I unlike others here have engaged with people whether they agree with me or not and pointed out why I think violence has returned - the solutions are self evident to most people who know enough about the good Friday agreement and who have actually read the 100's of pages in the treaty.

It is not being adhered to - there are several former supporters of the treaty from the provos fleeing to the dissident groups as a result. All the policing and army units didn't stop the violence last time and won't this time - in fact it makes it worse - i.e. youths stoning police the other day in the North.

To stop the violence - address the breaches of the treaty - removal of the British army and disarming of the loyalists - the defector provos will then disengage support from the RIRA and they will become a nothing again just like they were.

Make no mistake I think that things are going to get a lot worse if these are not addressed.

Unfortunately people don't seem to want to do this and in fact this will give RIRA and CIRA all the ammo they need both figuratively and in reality.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by count66

To stop the violence - address the breaches of the treaty - removal of the British army and disarming of the loyalists - the defector provos will then disengage support from the RIRA and they will become a nothing again just like they were.

Make no mistake I think that things are going to get a lot worse if these are not addressed.

Unfortunately people don't seem to want to do this and in fact this will give RIRA and CIRA all the ammo they need both figuratively and in reality.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as I know the British army was in the act of leaving Ireland but didn't simply because the threat of more violence was still evident. Now they've been proven right.A lot of the towers were destroyed and the police force had the word ROYAL removed from its name. I do agree with you about the escalation of violence in Northern Ireland, I just don't believe it's anything to do with the Good Friday agreement. Before the agreement these people were important influential people in their communities. Now they are just Joe Bloggs, no different than anyone else and that annoys them. Its a blow to their ego's. They also used to use the para militaries as cover for there drug dealing. Now they have no such cover!
As for CIRA and the RIRA gaining more power and public support? That's nonsense. The good people of Northern Ireland, from both sides, came out onto the streets in support of peace. They don't want to go back to the killings and bombings. . . Do you?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

To be honest I agree with 99% of what you are saying.

Unfortunately to young people (particularly those unemployed) these guys can see glamourous and lightbearers of the old cause.

Thanks by the way to sticking to the issues I brought up rather then calling me a terrorist which I'm not.

All I was given was my opinion on what I think the root causes of the dissidents gaining support. Sir Hugh Orde reckons their membership is around 300 - approx strength of the active provos at the height of the troubles.

Thats enough people to cause damage.

The fact that the loyalists are waiting in the wings having not disarmed doesn't help either.

I understand what you are saying about the British army and the actions they took - I personally think the quicker they left the better as it wouldn't have given the CIRA and RIRA any propaganda tools towards dissaffected provos - by saying the treaty wasn't honoured.

Unfortunately I think the return of special regiments are going to make things worse - leave the policing to the PSNI and GARDA who work well together - in the rest of the UK when you have a threat of terrorism and bombings you don't have the army involved (e.g. London Tube and Bus bombings. - just the police - NI should be the same.

The British Army are an inflammatory force whether they mean to be or not.

I think a united Ireland will come about and I believe peacefully. I think through the north south bodies and other cooperation the unionist community will learn they have nothing to fear from a united Ireland - those times are long gone.

The town I'm from in Galway had many protestants whose roots would have been unionist - pre independence - I had many a chat with them about their thoughts on a united Ireland and all support it even though their grandfathers wouldn't have.

I believe this community in the south would be useful in engaging with the unionists in the north merely from the point of view of developing better relations and removing the element of fear that remain from the past.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by count66

Oh give it a rest. If you're so for peace, why are you backpedaling from early posts so inflammatory?

"Ireland will be free - you watch!!" - they are free, from the republican tyrants south of the border. They chose to remain part of the United Kingdom, and so they will remain until they decide not to be.

Your ridiculous patriotism is sickening.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by count66

The British Army are an inflammatory force whether they mean to be or not.

I think a united Ireland will come about and I believe peacefully. I think through the north south bodies and other cooperation the unionist community will learn they have nothing to fear from a united Ireland - those times are long gone.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The British army are there to defend British people. In the Falklands they sailed half way around the world to protect and defend Brits. If there was no danger they wouldn't be there. It's almost like a viscious circle that's very hard to break free from. They are there because they detect a potential threat-the fact that they are there creates that potential threat!
I would like to believe your right about Ireland uniting peacefully but I just don't see it happening any time soon. It's going to take a while for the hate and mistrust to vanish and be forgotten. In the meantime all we can hope for is that the peace continues to grow and take root.
As for you being a terrorist? Your earlier posts did sound like you were defending the CIRA and the RIRA but you've made your position clear. You are no more an IRA terrorist for having repubican leanings than I am a UVF terrorist for having unionist views.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

I haven't reversed any of my positions - I still espouse a united Ireland as most people on the Island of Ireland though.

Perhaps you should read my posts more carefully.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join