It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands in Indiana line up for food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Story Here

ELKHART -- Several hundred volunteers -- and an agency that specializes in handing out food -- worked together Tuesday to feed 5,200 families in and around Elkhart County.

Roughly 300 local volunteers worked with Feed the Children to distribute more than $2.1 million worth of food at Concord Mall as part of FTC's Americans Feeding Americans Emergency Caravan. Residents who have been facing tough times and have had to make tough decisions about where to spend what money they have picked up canned goods, baked goods, candy and even Avon products.

Larry Jones, the founder and president of Feed the Children was at the event, as were televangelist Joel Osteen, pastor at Lakewood Church in Houston and his wife, Victoria.

So why aren't we hearing about the food lines in America's heartland?
This is only the beginning of what is to come.
Stock up. Hoard. Prepare. At least enough for a few months.

Side note ... what the heck was that Joel Osteen doing there? He said it was to bring attention to what was happening but it sure didn't hit the MSM. That guy creeps me out. Sorry ... but his false pollyanna 'preaching' is odd to me. I don't buy it.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
So why aren't we hearing about the food lines in America's heartland?

We are.

Source

February 19, 2009
Demand at food banks across the country increased by 30 percent in 2008 from the previous year, according to a survey by Feeding America, which distributes more than two billion pounds of food every year. And instead of their usual drop in customers after the holidays, many pantries in upscale suburbs this year are seeing the opposite.

Source

October 5, 2008
And their wait has stretched much longer than the time it took the White House and Congress to cobble together a bailout. Those who feed the hungry have been watching the numbers grow for months – the lines for assistance stretching longer and pantry and warehouse inventories shrinking smaller. For those at the bottom of the economic heap, it’s long past the point of urgency.

It's happening everywhere, it's just that the MSM is so wrapped up in this presidency and every move that Obama is making, the real news is getting put on the back burner. This should be reported, not what color Michelle's dress is or what Barack's basketball score is...

You can't depend on the MSM for news. FOX and MSNBC are reporting all Obama all the time... Google Food Banks or Food lines.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I had to comment on your comment about Joel Osteen... He really creeps me out too. I sense that he is a serious Wolf in Sheeps clothing.

And about the food lines, amazing it isn't on the front page of every newspaper as an alert to all. Maybe that's why it isn't being covered, they don't want the rest of us to hoard. Well I already have, and will continue to!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Now I have no ideas as to the implications of this but: I saw this report in national msm BUT no reports locally here in Indy. Curious?

Perhaps they didn't want everyone bolting down south to get in line. ::shrug::

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I was listening to the Diane Rehms show on my way to work and she gave an interesting factoid;

"Churches are the number one receiver of donations, followed by Universities."

Christians are taught to give 10 percent in the collection plate to show their faith that God will take care of the rest. Ive been saying for a while churches are in a decent spot to help out the community, Mainly MEGA churches, no doubt like the one Joel Osteen runs.

I have a prediction of why you dont see much of this in the Mainstream. if you put an announcement in the paper that you will be giving out free food, you would have LOTS of people show up. is everyone in that line at the end of their rope and have no other alternatives to put food on the plate? no one can answer that except the person standing in line.

In college back in 2003, a campus church would occasionally have free pancake night. there were a little over 5000 students at the college, but pancake night usually drew a crowd of 3,500 people through the course of the night, because everyone knew about it. free food means a big crowd, anyway you slice it.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
We are.

Not really. The MSM that I've seen hasn't gotten to this at all. A newspaper article here or there ... but the guys on TV aren't covering it. Either they are so in love with Obama that they dont' want to (NBC) or they are too busy with other things ... But I think this is important. We have Americans in food lines and it's not being shown on the MSM TV.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
The only place I hear about food lines is here on ATS in threads like this one.

I work at our local food kitchen, and have seen a marked increase in people in need. And these people are definitely hungry; they're not there for a handout. Young mothers with 2 or 3 kids in tow, often one in a stroller.

We were so fortunate to have an anonymous donor recently match donations, up to $500K. We raised the $500K, and he/she ponied up the check. What a great help that was, since we also provide shelter for homeless families.

Our state is doing very well in terms of employment, compared to the nation. We have many needy from other states that come here for help. We don't discriminate at all.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Everyone is in confidence building mode right now and showing these lines on the MSM would kill all their effort in 2 seconds. You aren't seeing it on MSM TV because we are supposed to be turning things around and we aren't in as big of a mess as we all think we are. Didn't you get the memo or hear the Potus speech? (Yeah I know the idiots who tried to break in last night didn't hear it either.....
)

new topics

top topics

join