It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Having roomates....in your 30's and 40's??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
cnn.comI have looked through the board and this is the best place to post my thread, imo. If I am incorrect, sorry. Ok, I got that out of the way. I read a story on cnn.com about people having to get roomates to survive todays economy. Well, I have often thought about this. My grandma told me years ago, an also told me through the years until her death in 1995, to NEVER sell her home after her death because she had lived through the great depression, and said she wanted a home where the entire family could come to live if need be. My mom lives in that house and will never sell it because of that. Just wondering if there are any ats'ers in their 30's or 40's having to look for roomates this day and time.

[edit on 3/12/2009 by PammyK]

[edit on 3/12/2009 by PammyK]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think you gotta do what you gotta do.
And things could be far worse then having to get a roommate.

But, I have had very little luck with roommates. So If your gonna do it, be careful and get references.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
You'll find that in Europe it's more common then in the States.

I was in a house share up till about 6 months ago. ( Just a UK term for roomates really) not out of neccesity but because it was cheap and I like spending my money on other stuff. Basically it was a big house and we rented a room in it, sharing the kitchen and living room with another couple. I'm 35 and my "roomates" were a couple in their late twenties.

My partner and I did finally move in our own apartment but I wouldn't be adverse to trying it again at some point if we had to. Good way to save money .

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I've seen local and national reports of homeowners renting out rooms just to help out paying the bills and making house payments. I've seen evidence too of signs in yards reading 'room for rent.'

Me and the husband are very antisocial and having to do something like this would really freak us out. We get uncomfortable when even close family spends the night. Our cat hates visitors too lol So, even though we have a decent size house wiith extra rooms and a family of 3, sudden choking of finances, I hope it doesn't come to that. Me & husband would have a difficult time adapting to a community lifestyle if the SHTF.

My parents always told me, if there's one bill you always pay and pay ontime it's your house payment. Shelter, food, then transportation and creature comforts.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I am not opposed to the idea completely. Many benefits to having a good roommate. Of course, living with a girlfriend in a serious relationship would be my choice situation.

But I am more than content to live alone with the cats than in a roommate situation. Too many years alone, I suppose. Too many concessions to make to be happy for long.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
My husband and I have had roommates all the time and we are both 35. WE don't use the upstairs of our house due to my arthritis and not being able to walk up/down stairs and it wasn't until just last year that our last roommate left. It's been a great year but have a roommate or rooommates sure would help the finances a lot. We have no problem with it and have had more years with roommates then without.

[edit on 3/12/2009 by Telafree]

top topics

join