It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dobbins [Air Reserve Base] Security Threat Closes Hwy. 41

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Dobbins Security Threat Closes Hwy. 41

www.myfoxatlanta.com

COBB COUNTY, Ga. (MyFOX ATLANTA) - A highway was shut down Wednesday at Dobbins Air Reserve Base due to a suspicious package inside a car parked at the entrance of the base.

Dobbins Air Force Base security was called in to deal with the unknown device inside a vehicle parked off Highway 41.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-3-2009 by jhill76]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Traffic was a mess today because of this, they are still blocking the road off and the robot is still out there as of this post.

Live Video
www.myfoxatlanta.com...

I will post more as it comes, this is still breaking.

www.myfoxatlanta.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
From another source:

Cobb Parkway remained closed Wednesday evening as a robot kept a suspicious vehicle under surveillance at the Main Gate to Dobbins Air Reserve Base in Marietta.

A vehicle found with a suspicious package prompted authorities to shut down Cobb (U.S. 41) in front of the base, snarling the afternoon rush hour in Cobb County. The road was still closed as of 7:30 p.m.

Marietta police created a perimeter on Cobb, not allowing any traffic within 5,000 feet of the base. A wheeled, military robot was dispatched to roll up to the car and look inside.

Police spokesman Mark Bishop said commuters can’t get on Cobb from Delk Road, as both entrances to Dobbins are closed

AJC

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
suspicious package inside a car parked at the entrance of the base.

Ok well a suspicious package in a car parked anywhere, is a security threat.
It could contain products from herbal life.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Surveillance at the Base Entrance should have recorded the Events leading up to the Vehicle Abandonment. All NON DOD Vehicles/Personnel have to consent to searches before making their way on Post, so I have no idea if this vehicle was simply left there, or if Base Security found the Package during their sweep.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Just imagine the horror a small box could bring in it.

Bomb
Biological
Rabies infected Ferrets
Missing Suitcase Nuke
George Bush!!!!!

I couldnt resist the jokes... sorry. I really am serious.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I'm only about 5 miles from the base. But, I am near the back entrance
not the one where the car is. They have blocked both entrances.
I have the news on now to see if I can find out if they found
anything or not.
It is odd that someone would abandon a car at the entrance for
no reason other than a nefarious one.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen
Surveillance at the Base Entrance should have recorded the Events leading up to the Vehicle Abandonment. All NON DOD Vehicles/Personnel have to consent to searches before making their way on Post, so I have no idea if this vehicle was simply left there, or if Base Security found the Package during their sweep.

Not true. Non-DOD personnel just have to get a waiver to be on base. They have to consent if the FPCON is high enough, but normally at Dobbins, anyone can get in with a valid DL, Registration, and proof of insurance. I guess it might partly be due to the fact it's an Air Reserve Base, not a standard AFB.

My guess, however, is that it was abandoned and one of the guards came up and checked it out. I hope this doesn't affect the FPCON of the base, I have a drill coming up soon.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
the local news just reported that they did find a suspicious device in the car and
blew it up just a few minutes ago.

Also, the reporter said that this started when a man drove up to the gate, told the guard that there was something dangerous in the car and that he felt ill.
They took him into custody, closed the gates and proceeded from there.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaydie
the local news just reported that they did find a suspicious device in the car and

Also, the reporter said that this started when a man drove up to the gate, told the guard that there was something dangerous in the car and that he felt ill.

So they blew up a suspicious device that may have been bio/chem and spread the nasties all over the place?

God help us!!

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
this is spooky, considering the bird flu that was just lost that was mixed with the normal flu.

have to keep a eye on this

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

is there anymore info coming in on what it might have been? why was the guy ill?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I cannot believe they blew it up after the guy said he was not feeling well. I hope HAZMAT is out there checking it out verifying nothing was released.

-Kdial1

[edit on 11-3-2009 by kdial1]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Try searching for any coverage on this, i have been trying a bit and no ones covering it, i'm trying local too.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
from what I could tell, the device was blown up inside a building.
At least I think that is what they said because I remember the reporter
said that all had taken place in the building in the distance.
So, I'm sure they were in an area that they could manage the device.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I'm finding nothing,

not even a report on rsoe

would think this would be news.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Highground

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

Not true. Non-DOD personnel just have to get a waiver to be on base. They have to consent if the FPCON is high enough, but normally at Dobbins, anyone can get in with a valid DL, Registration, and proof of insurance. I guess it might partly be due to the fact it's an Air Reserve Base, not a standard AFB.

My guess, however, is that it was abandoned and one of the guards came up and checked it out. I hope this doesn't affect the FPCON of the base, I have a drill coming up soon.

Yep, a DL and registration will get you a 24 hour pass. All vehicles are subject to random screenings though.

Why would the FPCON affect your drill?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
This is the only update I could get from local news.

MARIETTA, Ga. -- Police exploded a suspicious package inside a car near the front gate of Dobbins Air Reserve Base Wednesday night after several hours of waiting while a bomb disposal robot examined the car and the package.

Police said the car was left just outside the front gate at Dobbins at around 4:45 p.m. Several tense hours followed, while the bomb disposal robot trundled up to the car and pulled the car's door open, as well as triggering the car's trunk lid. Traffic along Cobb Parkway (US 41) was blocked in front of Dobbins, causing backups in the latter portion of the evening rush hour.

After 9 p.m., police blew up a portion of the car that contained the suspicious device. The detonation made a loud noise in the area, but according to investigators, the noise was from the explosive they planted, and since it was not louder, they do not believe there was an explosive in the vehicle.

Marietta Police Officer Mark Bishop said they have a suspect in custody, and are working with the Air Force in conjunction with the investigation.

11 Alive

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Something is wrong other wise they would have released traffic back on the nearby street... This needs to be investigated with the transparency we need to be reasured or prepared. We must have sonme forum members from the base that will know...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Seriously. I haven't been on Cobb Pkwy. as of yet. I do know that further down the street from the base about 6 cop cars stopped a box truck and had the driver with gun drawn, don't know if it was related though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join