It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pfc. LaVena Johnson: Why You Need to Know Her Story

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Pfc. LaVena Johnson: Why You Need to Know Her Story

www.blackvoices.com

Those facts were initially concealed from the family by an official declaration that Johnson's death was a suicide. From Jezebel via What About our Daughters in July 2008:

Private LaVena Johnson's nose was broken, teeth were loose, one eye was concave and there were abrasions over her body. The supposed M-16 hole to the head was far too small for the revolver-sized exit wound and was on the wrong side of her skull for a right-handed woman to have pulled the trigger. Her genital area showed evidence of acid, perhaps used to destroy DNA evidence. She had white military gloves glued to her burned hands. Source

Since then, the Army has continued to insist that the LaVena committed suicide by pointing her rifle with her nondominant hand at the side of her head and set herself on fire, all after she beat herself up and poured acid on her genitals... Oh, and there was a trail of blood leading away from the tent where her body was found. Source
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Very interesting that the ARMY is not looking in to a possible murder case of one of their own. It goes to show that we still have a long way to go for equality in America. I personally believe they are glad she was murdered and may have purposefully not investigated it. They are sending out a message that women and especially black women can never do a man's job and should they forget that, then they will pay the price...

www.blackvoices.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
This is the kind of psychopath that gets away with murder with the consent from up high. He will probably come back here and become a cop, too. Or these kinds of people will be the ones firing on American citizens.

This makes me sick to my stomach. I hope that the family of this poor woman gets justice. I feel that rape in the military is probably more widespread than people let on, and here you have a strong black woman who probably tried to fight the twisted bully who threw himself on her so he killed here and tried to get rid of the evidence. GOD!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Your are right daeoeste. I suspect however that the family will not get justice. This case is over a year old and still the ARMY refuses to even relook at the case. Either they are stupid and do not want to admit they are by saying they were wrong with the original conclusion or they played a part in this poor woman's murder. Either way I do not trust them and I think this case deserves to be relooked at.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I believe they cover it up because if it was investigated, it would show corruption very high up in the chain of command. This also sends a subtle message to victims of rape and potential victims; "We will cover these kinds of things up, so shut your mouth and do not trouble the waters."

MBF

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
They will cover it up!!! My experience with the government is that they will cover anything up that even looks bad for them. Sometimes they don't know how to handle a problem so they divert attention to somebody besides them. I hope the family gets justice.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Got anything that doesn't report things from blogs that they read? Trust me her chain of command was probably mostly African American. So stop playing the race card and show me some actual evidence. Not a story that gets its material from blogs.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
In response to jd140's question i found that article posted under top news on aol news and have since found another case of a latino woman murdered on base that has not been givin the scrutiny this case deserves. This is actually from Chicago Reader and the link is:
www.chicagoreader.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   
You would think that with all this "evidence" they would have taken this to the national level and not local. Maybe sue the Army?

While it is a sad thing they are going through, I'm more inclined to say this is denial. Not to stereotype, but Hispanics are usually a deeply religous people, mainly Catholic, they feel that suicide is an unforgivable sin. So I do see why they don't want to believe it.

In my 8 plus years in the military I have found that the African American and Latino group are the majority. So that puts race out of the equation. I just recently ETS'd from active duty and reupped for the reserves for personnel reasons. My unit (in GA) was 99% black, I was the only white person there.

The military isn't going to protect a soldier who broke the law, we are under a to fine of a magnifying glass. There are to many mouths to keep quite. Trust me when I say this. The soldiers like to talk. More rumors circulate throughout an unit then I have seen in any job I have ever seen.

The military world is extremely small, there is simply no way something such as what you posted can keep quite for 5 years. It is impossible.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Got anything that doesn't report things from blogs that they read? Trust me her chain of command was probably mostly African American. So stop playing the race card and show me some actual evidence. Not a story that gets its material from blogs.

Whoaaa, bub. You pulled that card. You look mighty suspicious with your sickening fervor to defend the military's actions concerning this case as well. And even if the race of the members in her chain of command had anything to do with this, (which it most certainly does not) this is an obvious cover-up. Just out of curiosity, I would like to know how you seem to have such an intimate knowledge of her chain of command? Are you in the military? If so, you have just proven to be a part of the problem and illustrated the attitude that the military has toward protecting their own criminals. These people are sick and should be locked up all the way to the top.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by assylian

That is a tragic case. Although I believe the majority of our soldiers are 'the good guys,' I do believe there exists certain soldiers who would do such a thing. As with every group, you have the good ones and the bad ones so it only stands to reason the U.S. military has their black sheep disgraces as well. Adding to the law of averages, you have people programmed to fight, who are isolated and away from home, live in an extremely tense environment, raging testosterone, and many soldiers who chose the military as it was the only way out of their very harsh upbringing and lifestyle.

Run some Google searches for military rape. It is indeed a very sad phenomenon that should not be swept under the rug. It also should be perfectly acceptable to bring such incidences to the attention of the public without being met with accusations that you are Anti-American or that you don't support the troops.

I wholeheartedly do but not in the case of those who do such things. They should be discharged and tried as criminals in the courts.

If the allegations to this woman's death are true, I hope the family finds justice.

reply to post by jd140

Here is a video I found on the case from an actual news station. They mention the broken nose, dislocated shoulder/elbow, that she and the tent she was in was set on fire, that there was no gun shot residue that would have existed had she been the shooter, etc. No mention of the acid on the genitalia, though. So if that was an embellishment (I do not know) then this video would seem reliable to leave that out:

www.kmov.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

Check out the last part of the second post. He brought race into it. I said that it is doubtful race had a part in it.

Please don't call me bub, it is condesending and I don' appreciate it.

Yes I am in the military, as my post stated and I spoke of my own expierances when it comes to race in the military. To say that I am part of the problem shows me that you talk out of your butt alot and it is something you need to look at getting fixed. I do not condone criminals being protected no matter who they are.

Unlike you I try and see both sides of the arguement, not just what I see or hear. If what is being reported is true then someone should have to answer for their crimes. I don't assume guilt just because someone is saying someone is guilty.

If you have an Anti Military agenda then I expect you won't take what I have said into account and will pass judgement on all Military.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Thank you for the news link. I watched it and agree that if someone did what the parents are claiming then someone must answer. I'm still on the fence about it though, for reasons from my post before last (one you are replying to).

We aren't programmed to kill, thats just not true. I haven't met one person who relishes in killing. We know that we might have to, but we don't like the thought of having to do it. Besides, when we do kill someone they are usually shooting at us. Not fun at all.

If we are programmed to do anything it is to resist the instinct to run or cower in fear when the bullets start flying.

Of course there are bad apples in the Military, but what this guy is implying is that the whole unit are criminals who are keeping this quite. I don't buy that part. That is why I said there is more to the story then what is being told.

As far as the rapes, yep they happen. Both male and females commit this vile act and the few that happened in my units were dealt with swiftly and severly. One almost didn't make it to trial. I don't contribute it to hostile enviroments though. I contribute it to them being sick and twisted who thought they saw a clear oppurtunity.

new topics

top topics

join