It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Congress urges China to end 'Tibet' repression

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gs001

hm I have experienced that differently as I visited Tibet two times in the past. I have not met one person that was loyal to or sympathized with the Chinese government, and I have talked to a lot people concerning that matter. What I appreciate a lot is their neutrality, which the Chinese government takes advantage of, very sad indeed.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by organism315

So I suppose you would prefer the country to be back under the Theocratic rule of the Monks?

“History belies the Shangri-La image of Tibetan lamas and their followers living together in mutual tolerance and nonviolent goodwill. Indeed, the situation was quite different. Old Tibet was much more like Europe during the religious wars of the Counterreformation.

For hundreds of years competing Tibetan Buddhist sects engaged in bitterly violent clashes and summary executions. In 1660, the 5th Dalai Lama was faced with a rebellion in Tsang province, the stronghold of the rival Kagyu sect with its high lama known as the Karmapa. The 5th Dalai Lama called for harsh retribution against the rebels, directing the Mongol army to obliterate the male and female lines, and the offspring too “like eggs smashed against rocks

Religions have had a close relationship not only with violence but with economic exploitation. Indeed, it is often the economic exploitation that necessitates the violence. Such was the case with the Tibetan theocracy. Until 1959, when the Dalai Lama last presided over Tibet, most of the arable land was still organized into manorial estates worked by serfs. These estates were owned by two social groups: the rich secular landlords and the rich theocratic lamas.

Young Tibetan boys were regularly taken from their peasant families and brought into the monasteries to be trained as monks. Once there, they were bonded for life. Tashì-Tsering, a monk, reports that it was common for peasant children to be sexually mistreated in the monasteries. He himself was a victim of repeated rape, beginning at age nine. 14 The monastic estates also conscripted children for lifelong servitude as domestics, dance performers, and soldiers.

Source

You get the picture. Say what you want about the harsh repression of Chinese rule, but chances are, its better to live under a dictatorial communistic rule; one where you have some measure of wealth distribution. Over a theocratic rule; where you are a serf working the land for the king in the palace above the fields.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Debate about the FACT again again again again again......tiresome.
I highly doubt if you really have been there
but I hope anyone who want to know the FACT pay a visit and see with your own eyes.
just like me

[edit on 12-3-2009 by gs001]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join