It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama signs 'imperfect' spending bill in private

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leto
According to the updated article this bill was supposed to be finished in fall of 2008, that'd be too late to be part of Bush's budget plan.
news.yahoo.com...

We're talking about the FY2010 budget (beginning 10/1/2009). If it was the 2009 budget the federal government would have been under a continuing resolution in which no new programs could be started and existing programs would have had to maintain the previous year (2008) spending level.

According to the updated article the reason it didn't get completed last fall was because of the elections.

Yeah, the congress knew that Bush would veto it so they waited to see if there would be a democrat president who would sign it.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Oh... by the way, this budget's title is "A New Era Of Responsibility". HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... Seriously, it is titled that!

www.whitehouse.gov...

[edit on 11/3/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Here is one article I thought was pretty good

www.salon.com...

First it was that chaotic pig rut of a stimulus package, which let House Democrats throw a thousand crazy kitchen sinks into what should have been a focused blueprint for economic recovery. Then it was the stunt of unnerving Wall Street by sending out a shrill duo of slick geeks (Timothy Geithner and Peter Orszag) as the administration's weirdly adolescent spokesmen on economics. Who could ever have confidence in that sorry pair?

And then there was the fiasco of the ham-handed White House reception for British Prime Minister Gordon Brown, which was evidently lacking the most basic elements of ceremony and protocol. Don't they read the "Iliad" anymore in the Ivy League? Check that out for the all-important ritual of gift giving, which has cemented alliances around the world for 5,000 years.

President Obama -- in whom I still have great hope and confidence -- has been ill-served by his advisors and staff. Yes, they have all been blindsided and overwhelmed by the crushing demands of the presidency. But I continue to believe in citizen presidents, who must learn by doing, even in a perilous age of terrorism. Though every novice administration makes blunders and bloopers, its modus operandi should not be a conspiratorial reflex cynicism.

I don't know how there can be any doubt in any minds, that Obama is inexperienced as all get out,

and is depending on creeps like Reid and Pelosi, and his low life staff to run the show.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'm just waiting for him to stop getting it on with his teleprompter and actually speak his OWN words. Everytime you see a far shot from him, you'll see the teleprompter.

You can always tell when he's on it...he always speaks better...and he always looks left to right...left to right...which is really...read and turn...read and turn.

We can thank David Axelrod for the words in his riveting speeches. Obama can give a good speech...but he has the intelligence and personality of a dog turd.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Oh... by the way, this budget's title is "A New Era Of Responsibility".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0ea3d9b99c95.jpg[/atsimg]

Did not know that !
)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
He also used signing statements... Something he and his party cried about when Bush used them. Included in that was a rejection by Obama of a provision to protect government whistleblowers from punishment. Obama's rationale being that it was vital the administration retain the power to prevent Congress from being leaked information detrimental to national security... CONGRESS!

* run computer protocol -find change-

Scanning

Scanning

SCANNING

Error! Change not found. Program aborted.

Honestly, has anyone found the change outside of making grandoise claims about how different thing are and will be only to follow-up with virtually the same policies he promised to change?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
I'm just waiting for him to stop getting it on with his teleprompter and actually speak his OWN words. Everytime you see a far shot from him, you'll see the teleprompter.

You can always tell when he's on it...he always speaks better...and he always looks left to right...left to right...which is really...read and turn...read and turn.

We can thank David Axelrod for the words in his riveting speeches. Obama can give a good speech...but he has the intelligence and personality of a dog turd.

He's very good on the teleprompter but what you critics of the teleprompter don't mention is the fact that he's good without it too. There was no telepromter in the debates, and most critics say he won all of those debates.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

The double standard is ridiculous and down right dishonest.

I wonder if the media is ever going to stick it to Obama. Of course it isn't Obama's fault that the cabinet that HE picked can't do the job they were picked for.

I was always under the impression that the president was the boss of the Executive branch. I predict a lot of media outlets being victims of this economic crisis because they can't seem to get over their love affair with Obama.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Leto

There was no telepromter in the debates, and most critics say he won all of those debates.

yeah, and the debate were nothing but campaign rhetoric...from both McCain and Obama.

At the time, many ATSers probably could have explained each question for them as we had heard the same crap over and over again for months.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Anyone feeling "Buyers Remorse" yet?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
He's very good on the teleprompter but what you critics of the teleprompter don't mention is the fact that he's good without it too. There was no telepromter in the debates, and most critics say he won all of those debates.
Wanna see how good he is without a teleprompter? Have a look at these clips of him without one...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I wonder if the media is ever going to stick it to Obama. Of course it isn't Obama's fault that the cabinet that HE picked can't do the job they were picked for.

Do you think he picked them, I have my doubts.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

To be honest, it all smells of political payback. It almost seems when it comes to the treasury and the Fed it seems like being secretary of the treasury is a "promotion" in a sense. If that makes any sense.

Like I believe there is a rouge group of powerful people that are trying to take over the world, you don't have to look to far back into history to figure out that there is always somebody trying to take over the world.

But as far as the NWO being this massive conspiracy with most of the politicians being in on it I don't think it goes that far. I think it is a small group of people that use blackmail, deception, and manipulation to achieve their goals.

It is just sickening that the media has become the Governments cheerleader as long as their "guy" is in office.

Just like with this budget. They just make excuses. Everything is an excuse. The president makes excuses and the media runs with it and they even make their own excuses. It is downright scary if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
don't forget his inability to speak without a teleprompter!!

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Well, folks...while I have seen a few mostly correct points voiced here...as in, this is a crappy bill and there was a deadline....didn't see the ACTUAL deadline that is most important.

This thing was filled with (mostly Republican) earmarks that amounted to....well, it really wasn't 'filled'....they amounted to about 1% of the totaal.

BUT, this so-called 'omnibus' package did have a deadline....midnight tonight! Or else, the Gov't would have befun a shut-down, ala Ronald Reagan, when he refused to sign a funding bill that he didn't like.

Now, of course....that little datum is ignored by all the Obama hate that bubbles to the surface on these threads....

Side note: If Bush and his past policies are criticsized, it is said that it is "hating" on Bush. I see a heck of a lot more Obama hate....after less than two months!!!

Bush had eight years.....lots more time to amass an entire slew of gaffes.

BTW....someone on this thread chose to mention the 'signing statement'.

Bush use that 'privilege' over a thousand times....FAR more than any President did previously......

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Ok so the our entire government is incompetent. They have had since January to write the budget.

They manage to write a 1000+ page "stimulus" package in a week. They could have written a budget that fit the Presidents needs.

But then you have to look at the fact that Obama and Biden and several of his administration had earmarks added into this bill. Which is unconstitutional.

Then you are also missing the fact that they could have extended the deadline if they wanted too.

But no they didn't.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

They manage to write a 1000+ page "stimulus" package in a week. They could have written a budget that fit the Presidents needs.

Writing a bill is the easy part, the hard part is getting all the Republicans and Democrats to agree to it. Takes forever, especially when it appears that Republicans just want to say no to everything.

The President said he doesn't want to be bogged down by it, he wants to move on to other issues.

But then you have to look at the fact that Obama and Biden and several of his administration had earmarks added into this bill. Which is unconstitutional.

Which earmarks did Obama and Biden add into the bill?

Then you are also missing the fact that they could have extended the deadline if they wanted too.

But no they didn't.

As the President explained he wants to move on to other important issues. The so-called "earmarks" that the Republicans are making so much noise about only amounts to 1% of the bill, 1%, and half of it is from Republicans!

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

We're talking about the FY2010 budget (beginning 10/1/2009). If it was the 2009 budget the federal government would have been under a continuing resolution in which no new programs could be started and existing programs would have had to maintain the previous year (2008) spending level.

There appears to be some confusion here, Gretta Van Susteren just mentioned in her show that this bill takes effect tomorrow and lasts until September of this year, and that if it hadn't been signed by midnight tonight government would freeze.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Hastobe.....there IS a budget for the next Fiscal Year.....this 'omnibus' was a stop-gap, fill in the hole for a few months band-aid.

It was devised BEFORE the Inauguaration of President Obama....it is a product of the 'bloated' Politics as usual.

Sometimes, you just have to hold your nose, keep your powder dry until YOU are steering the wagon, and implement your ideals and policies later.

Again, per MSNBC....oh, that's not a bad word, BTW. They fact-check, you can too. Fmr President Bush issued about 1200 'signing statements' on Bills that he didn't like....more than ANY other President in the history of 'signing statements'....which, really just say "I'm signing this, but I don't like it....make the next one better!"

AS TO the headline of the OP.....this bill was signed 'in private' because it was not deemed worthy of a public display, and adulation, precisely BECAUSE it was loaded with so much (OK...1%) PORK!

Do the Obama haters, or downright unable to see nuance not get it?

EDIT....without reading Leto's posts, I managed to repeat some of what he posted....maybe because I happen to stay informed of actual news, not innuendo and half-truths. Civics 101....I fear that many, many Americans have little to no understanding. Saw an 'on-the-street' straw poll that noted that only about one-third of those asked knew how many branches of Government there are in the USA. Of course, 75% of them could name at least two 'American Idol' judges! Very sad, and troubling.

[edit on 3/11/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

The point is that it is not an excuse. All he had to do was say strip out the earmarks. But did he do that? No he didn't, because him and most of his cabinet put earmarks in that bill before the elections when it was written. Which is unconstitutional I might add.

And the stop-gap is what they signed to extend the deadline. This is the actual bill that allocates the revised budget for this year. They could have easily passed another stop-gap to finish out the rest of the year with last years budget.

This same bill should have been signed last year. Bush even refused to sign it. That is why they passed a stop-gap to extend the deadline into the 111th congress. They could have easily passed another stop gap that would have continued the budget from last year.

Who was in control of congress and the senate last year? Oh yea, the Democrats.

Yea, I'm so completely in the tank I have grown gills MSNBC? Mr. I have a tingle going up my leg Matthews? Mr. I lied about my college credentials Oliberman(sp?)?

Mr. I have to make the Obama presidency a success Matthews? I could go on, but what is the point.

The point is Obama has no leadership ability. He is incompetent and a fraud.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join