It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jobless Rate Tops 10 Percent in 4 States (Go Michigan!! 11.6 percent!!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Jobless Rate Tops 10 Percent in 4 States (Go Michigan!!)

money.aol.com

WASHINGTON (March 11) - Four states — California, South Carolina, Michigan and Rhode Island — registered unemployment rates above 10 percent in January, and the national rate is expected to hit double digits by year-end.
Michigan's jobless rate jumped to 11.6 percent in January, the highest in the country. The second-highest jobless rate was South Carolina at 10.4 percent. Rhode Island was next at 10.3 percent, which marked an all-time high for the state in federal records dating to 1976.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-3-2009 by David9176]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I, a fellow Michigan resident, am proud of this great state, the great leader of unemployment (11.6 percent!) in the United States.

Come here if you need a job....it's all going great up here!

When are the rest of you going to catch up? Only 3 other states over 10 percent? California, Rhode Island, South Carolina...at least we have some competition now!

Join Michigan!!

money.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11-3-2009 by David9176]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

So messed up... soon there will be tent cities in every state, huge ones like in California.
Government, if you're listening, it's me, Raven. We need jobs please and thank you.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Government, if you're listening, it's me, Raven.

Oh..you had to go and say that...

It's taxpayers...not government.

No tent cities here btw...at least not by me. Luckily our state hasn't been run completely into the ground like California...we actually have a glimmer of hope here.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
As a fellow Michigander, I am fortunate that my husband still has a job. His hours were cut way back and we are getting about $1000 less per month, but still, I'm happy he's still employed.

It's real bad here. Everyone I know has been laid off or their job is hanging by a thread. I think people should take some money if they have it and invest in a used camper or travel trailer. If they get in a situation where they lose their house, that would come in very handy. That's what we have done.

No tent cities that I've seen here, but I have seen a big increase in homeless people standing on busy traffic corners with signs.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I've heard from someone that the average value of a home in downtown Detroit is around 7000. One story even mentioned a woman who bought a HUD home (foreclosure) for 1200. Wrote a personal check for it on the spot.

Are those kinds of horror stories common up there?

PS - hang in there brother

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Hey we are in 3rd place, watch out we are on your heels!! We have lost alot of businesses here. Today the Governor announces a plan to cut the corporate business tax, in an attempt to attract more businesses that would allow more opportunity for jobs. Dems say YOU CAN"T CUT TAXES!!!

LOL Gov says, I am raising Cigarette tax by $1 a pack... Dems want that but want to keep the Corporate business tax as well. They are not happy unless the tax dollars are flowing.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Home values have decreased. My husband asked me what I thought about buying a couple of cheap houses in Detroit and becoming a landlord. I asked him if he lost his marbles? You might get the house cheap, but to fix it up and then have someone trash it, no thanks!

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

My work is really slow too...luckily...still working. Don't know how long it will last...but we've had enough work trickling in to keep going.

I know a ton of people who have been laid off as well. It just stinks. Casualties of big business and big government.

Also...if you can...buy seeds....they are cheap..and you can store them away....you never know how bad it could get.

I did it. I don't have to worry about getting a camper though...have family to stay with if times get tough...

What happened to that btw? Families sticking together and helping one another out?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Oregon was 9.9% ;last month. I expect that to rise the next time it's counted so add another state to the list.

[edit on 3/11/2009 by Telafree]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I'd avoid Detroit at all costs. It was a wreck before all this and i'm sure it hasn't gotten better.

It's probably more like the Robocop movie's version of Detroit....except crappier.

Luckily i don't live by there...i'm kinda near the Grand Rapids area.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Telafree

Oregon wants membership in our elusive club? We'll see!

I keep hearing about layoffs every single day...i don't think next months will be any better either.

Supposedly, unemployment up in every state but one...Lousiana.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

I did it. I don't have to worry about getting a camper though...have family to stay with if times get tough...

What happened to that btw? Families sticking together and helping one another out?

We don't have family. My kids are still teenagers. If they were out on their own and lost their house, they already know they have a home here, if they need it. My kids will always be welcome home.

I have wondered if there are so many people losing their houses, why can't two families hook up together and share expenses? At least they'd have a home.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

I have wondered if there are so many people losing their houses, why can't two families hook up together and share expenses? At least they'd have a home.

That's actually a good idea. IF it gets bad enough...it may just happen. Family is always the most important in times like these...and really the only ones you can truly depend on.

Friends definitely don't hurt though!

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Unemployment is but one problem. There is also underemployment. Working and not making enough to survive. This isn't a statistic that the gov't wants known. I've been there in my home province.

I feel for you guys. Hang tough folks.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Unemployment is but one problem. There is also underemployment. Working and not making enough to survive.

Yeah that's happening here as well. These numbers are only people who are on full unemployment benefits.

This doesn't include people drawing partial unemployment and working part time, or people who are now ineligible to keep getting unemployment compensation.

Crazy times....so far though...people seem to be making it here. I don't see people sleeping on the streets or anything like that.

I'm just afraid if it starts to get worse....who knows what will happen.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I would like to point this out from the article.

Louisiana was the only state to record a monthly drop. Its unemployment rate fell to 5.1 percent in January from 5.5 percent in December.

And this is in the wake of two Hurricanes last year and a massive drop in the price of oil.

I think Jindal deserves some mad props.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Ahh Michigan- the murder mitten.
Anyone harboring post-economic-Armageddon fantasies would do well to visit Detroit. See how much fun folks up there are having. If the doomsayers have it right, it will be like that everywhere, except worse. Hardly a romantic scenario.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
These unemployment numbers are going to get alot worse I'm afraid. One possible solution for families is the idea of moving back in together. Unfortunately the extended family unit is a thing of the past in America. During our first depression, IMO families were better equipped to deal with hard times because of the commonality of the extended family unit versus the nuclear family of today. Parents are on their own with their children, if they arer lucky they both have jobs and the kids are in school. That's the ideal situation but not necessarily the norm anymore. Single parent families have got to be feeling this crisis more than others. Encouraging loved ones to combine resources should be taken into consideration for people really struggling. At least you have family that you can hopefully trust and share with.

new topics

top topics

join