It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What IS the meaning of death?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think you guys will appreciate this one.
Is death all it's cracked up to be? I mean, is it really going to be as frightening as religions say?
I obviously hear different answers/beliefs from the people I know personally. Some barely get into it, some get very uncomfortable (my mom), some get visibly agitated (my best friend), and some you don't even dare mention it to. People who believe what I believe are few and far between (at places like ATS), and the rest go straight to the bible or some religion, which is not in my realm of thinking anymore.
It sounds to me like religions use death as a tool to either entice people (to kill or conform) or to instill fear.
Besides, why are there so many religions anyway, with basically the same stipulations??? If there was one "correct" religion, then wouldn't we know without a shadow of a doubt?? There would be no arguing, no killing, no war, the language barriers would probably not exist. I can go on...
But the religion rant may be another topic, may not be. It just looks suspect in (not just) this case.

Anyway, I myself think death is the most natural thing for any biological creature, along with birth of course. Every living thing is born, lives, and dies.
So I ascertain that death is just the beginning of the end. Once you graduate from this life, you start another life. What happens inbetween is probably that part where you reflect (on your just finished life). Whether it's the spirit's choice or not (as to when and to what new body to occupy), the soul (re)incarnates.
Since we are born as babies with extrememly limited intelligence, memories of past lives probably get reset (or disengaged? I don't know), causing us not to remember; at least not remembering until we can tap into that realm (astral plane, dreams - whatever).
So that's my take on it. I know it may hurt (depending on how we die), but I mean come on. Unless there will be incredible suffering (which is so unfortunately the case for so many people), I would say don't be scared.
And even in the case of suffering, it's all an experience to put down in your own book of life. I believe it's all here for us to learn from.
I would like to hear what you guys have to say about this.
Peace.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I've always said, i'm not afraid of death, i'm afraid of dying. When the time comes for me to pass, I think im gonna be a little excited to see if anything happens. I just dont want the pain to go along with it, lol If there is a after life, I hope its not the one told of in the bible, who the hell likes milk and honey anyway??

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Nobody can possibly tell you the meaning of death because the only people who could possibly know are dead.

I don't believe we should question it, when its your time to go then you shall know what will become of you or whether its just an eternal sleep you'll never wake from. Until that time don't worry there is no need too.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hi, impaired & all.

You're quite right on it, in all your post.

To summarize my ideas on your ideas, here it goes:
In the universe, we go up in densities, when ready.
1st density = rock, water, fire, minerals. . .etc. .
2nd density = plants, animals.
3rd density = we the humans, with oiur ** free will **
4th density = Where we MAY go, if we do not have to
lean more, again, in the 3rd density.

And as you say:
=We forget previous lives. . . That's the veil.
=We suffer...it may hurt...in the case of suffering, it's all an experience...
That is called ** the catalysts of our 3rd density life. **

That all comes out of "The Ra material".
Those 5 books, and the "What the BLEEP?!..."
changed my life and ideas totaly ! !

EDIT some mixed letters. . .

Soooooo, is this quite similar ? B-)

Blue skies.

[edit on 2009/3/11 by C-JEAN]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Well, I have studied a variety of topics in the past 18 years of my life and I have come to a conclusion. I view death as a transition from one form of consciousness to another. I don't believe that it is a blinking out into oblivion.

I really do not see it as something to be feared, but looked forward to. However, with that being said, I have to say that even if death is the annihilation of consciousness, so what. If that is the cae, we're not going to be aware of it.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
One thing is for sure, it's something we will all experience. I will attest that I don't know. Anyone who says they know for sure what happens sends my skeptical flag flying high.

There are circles, cycles of life present in everything on this planet. For example the seasons. The process of being a child, a mother, and elder. For it stop there doesn't make much sense to me. It's too linear, too much like a line and not a circle. This suggest to me either reincarnation or evolving to a higher plane of existence.

I pondered these ideas even as a child. At seven years of age I remember sitting on my bed, so obcessed with these questions of the hereafter I considered ending my life just to see what was next. lol sick lil kid but a deep thinker.

I would advise everyone should they come across anyone who says they know for sure, tread carefully and keep your critical thinking cap (and tin foil) hat firmly attached. Don't leave home without it.

What the Bleep Do We Know was an awesome movie!

2nd Edit as it didn't accept my first: Shamless self promotion but relevant to this thread; for some insight into the journey of whatever does happen visit:
Witness to the Dying Process
[edit on 3/11/2009 by Whisper67]

[edit on 3/11/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
C-JEAN:
Yes. I don't know anything about the Ra Materials, but the density talk I have heard about before. I hear Pleiadians are in the 6th or something. The highest density is back with creation again.
The higher the density, the more lives you have lived. The goal? To LIVE all these lives and get experience.

SomebodyElse:
That's just the thing. I'm not worrying. But with that being said, I guess you would have to believe what I believe to understand how it is something we should know about, and not to fear it as well because fearing it holds us down. Not talking about it or not wanting to know about it is the deadbolt on the door.

StereoVoyaged:
I feel the same way. I don't want the pain attached, but just knowing that there is some kind of spiritual gain is worth more than any material object or money.
Don't get me wrong, I hate pain!!! I've suffered alot, both my fault and NOT my fault, but if i never went through ANYTHING like what I went though, I wouldn't BE here right now talking about something so deep.
I wouldn't have a huge book filled with experiences. I would probably have a crappy short story!

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Death is the thing i fear the very least. I do think it would be great to know what comes after it, however it won't ever be known because once its happened there's no coming back in the same form at least to inform others what happened to you.

Its something that's unknown and much to my and I'm sure many other peoples disappointment its one thing that cant be discovered.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Somebodyelse7]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
To expect meaning from a simple transition between pre-life and post-life is fruitless.

from the moment we arrive in 'life' we have only logic and emotion to fill the void before death. Those two alone don't seem to be enough to provide an answer. Only the most supreme form of illogical mindsets can breach that, and even then, only in theory - of course I refer to faith. Faith, it seems, is all one needs - without it the answer isn't even worth guessing at.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. That's how it goes in the interim between wherever we were before life, and wherever we will end up after it. One might even consider the possibility of life being about one's ability to cope - without the answers to all these questions.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Myself not being a very religious person, I have to admit that there is a great fear of nothingness after death. I know if that is the case I won't even know I'm dead, such is the case before I was born. I don't want to think that is how it ends but I can't help feeling that is where we are destined. From nothing, to life, and back to nothing. But as previously posted only time will tell.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
im quite exited about dying altho im in no hurry to die i wouldn't mind if i was killed

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I have noticed that only people who have not been right in their lives seem to be the only ones who fear death. By not right, I mean people who have wronged others in their lives, and have gotten away with it, especially people who are religious.

They wriggle and sweat when you bring up the subject, as if they will finally be held accountable for their wrongs.

I do believe that people who have no fear of death are those that have nothing to worry about.

There is no way around it in my opinion, so why worry?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
As a lesson, I think death might be to relinquish our primal fear of the unknown. I have had two recurring dreams of possible pass lives (a cat in the 1930s and an Indian from a long time ago) and both of those "lives" ended abruptly. So, if these were actual past lives, maybe I am here again to get over that primal fear after living a long and fruitful life. I think it is a question of acceptance and faith. At least, that is what I have gathered from my elders, who are closer to it then me.

An interesting aside is that new research suggests that it is possible death and shorter life spans in humans and other animals might be a mechanism of evolution. Why would an animal be actively trying to procreate and grow the species if they have a great amount or unlimited time?

Anyway, I think it is natural and somewhat hardwired into us and other animals to fear death for survival purposes.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The past lives thing has to be real. It'd better be.

I just don't believe that we live just one life and after we go to either two extremes of eternity. Not only isn't it fair, but it sounds unlikely (to me, at least).

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Death is an iiiiiiiilllllllluuuuuuuusssssion.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
It's real simple for me as immortality would mean I am trapped on this planet. Look around you, do you wish to be trapped here for eternity?

For myself, the answer is a resounding "No!"

Death is nothing but a transition for the immortal soul. I am rather fond of the term "meat suit" as opposed to body.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by argilla11]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
When the brain dies you die.Simple as that to me,much like if someone recieves a serious head trauma and loses all of their personality and starts as a clean slate, i think everything we are is contained in our little skulls and when the brain dies from lack of oxygen we die and so does our conscious.Really i dont see why people are afraid of such a thing..its like being afraid of going to sleep,its a natural cycle,without death there wouldn't be much meaning to life.And i hope im right as an afterlife doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.I'd just like to live a good life,which includes its good points and bad points and have it end in a good peaceful way.End of my story..no vibrating to different densities or zooming about in the clouds for me thanks.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Understanding death is somewhate complicated depending on what one is willing to accept with regards to the structure and mechanics of reality.

If you die...you were already Dead; you just didn't know it, or you knew it, but couldn't face it. This reality must be one where both the living and the dead live side by side and the world plays out where each of us is put where we belong.

The dead think they're alive, but the living can tell that they are in denial. If a living person argues with a dead person, the dead person will try and convince you that it is they who is alive and you that are dead; in short the dead are here to "trade places" with you. It's the only way they can stay here.

Why...the abode of the dead is Hell and it sucks. Compared to Hell this world is like a vacation for the dead and they start wars so that they can remain in this world, with the living.

The dead are a$$holes. They don't want to go back, but if they have to, they try and take others with them.

So death is a natural feature of the cosmos balancing itself.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somebodyelse7
Nobody can possibly tell you the meaning of death because the only people who could possibly know are dead.

It's just as well then, that there are plenty of people who have bothered to find ways of succesfully talking to people who have died, so that we can all benefit from that knowledge.

Some of the 'dead' people have written books by channeling with a partner who is alive. One notable example is Sir Oliver Lodge FRS, a scientist and inventor of the automotive spark plug.

Another one is Hugh Benson who was a Roman Catholic priest and son of the Archbishop of Canturbury. Fortunately his book is available free on the web if you'd like to read it. It gives a graphic account of life after death:

www.thenewearth.org...

Please Note: 10 minutes after posting this link, the web-site concerned was down, but it was working yesterday. I am hoping that it will be back on-line soon

[edit on 13/3/2009 by Tallsorts]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Uh, so TC you believe in reincarnation not bound by the earth, right?

Kind of like...

Maybe reincarnation does exist, but not the way we think it does. Its not from human to human, but from one species across the universe to another species, we're all just recently aliens who have gone up(or down?) the ladder to become a human being during this life.

Do you ever wonder why toddlers and young kids seem to amazed by it all? They want to explore, they want to do everything, they want to experience all the senses to their fullest, this could be because in other parts of the universe where they recently were, maybe they didn't have all the senses we had? Maybe these alien beings lacked sight, but when they become humans they're gifted with it(Of course, maybe they lose a sense from their past life, but they would never realize or know)

So we could all just be aliens reincarnated as humans, and when we die we become different beings throughout the universe.

?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join