It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I carry a gun or two!!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by Wembley

The reason why we put so much effort into trying to persuade schoolkids in the UK not to carry knives for 'defence' is that carrying a knife makes you far more likely to be stabbed.

I strongly suspect the same goes for guns and shooting, but gun culture is so embedded in the US that I doubt this argument gets much of an airing.

LOL...well if you are 16 years old that is probably true. If you are 16 and carrying an illegal gun, and associating with people that will sell you an illegal gun, and hanging out in crowds where a gun is "needed" or a social symbol, gosh darn who would have thunk it...it may mean YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO GET SHOT!

In the U.S. a HUGE portion of the gunshot victims are just that, young black males (they make up something like 70% of the gunshot victims).

Seeing as how I am a single white female in her 40's I guarantee you that my choosing to carry a weapon is NOT going to increase my chances of getting shot by a thug. It does not put me in "social circles" where gunweilding thugs are common.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Shade
I will agree to disagree! If your protection is a gun, it shows how bad the world is getting and what lengths people go through for protection and self belief.

Well, count me in that group then because I choose to protect myself with a sidearm. My gun makes me feel secure about driving in the really bad parts of town if I happen to go there. I don't feel like I am going to be a victim and yes, if I happened to get in a situation I know how to defend myself. I have trained and trained with my gun and feel comfortable with it.

Thank God that it's my right to own my gun. If they take that right from me, then they just do. I'll find another way to defend myself I guess. But for me, right now, it's the best thing I can do.

My family deserves to have me around until God decides to take me, not some punk ass thug on the street looking to hijack my car for some drug money.

Also, I love my gun, absolutely adore it. It even has its own name. It is in a safe place when not in use and I'm always aware of the power it has.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Sometimes people in countries other than the USA don't understand the firearm problem here. I'm pro-firearms personally. The problem isn't with those who obtain their guns legally, but those who obtain them illegally. I live in a part of town where I seriously don't feel safe walking down some parts late at night. Between the drug dealers and gangs that are rampant, and groups of 7-8+ guys hanging out on the porches and stoops of their house drinking... you never know what could happen. Hell, kids used to get beat up or jumped for looking the wrong way in High School. Nobody should feel unsafe where they live.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by uplander
Thank God....
....My family deserves to have me around until God

So much for the Prince of Peace.
I hazard that Jesus wouldn't carry a gun and would turn the other cheek?

Originally posted by uplanderAlso, I love my gun, absolutely adore it. It even has its own name.

Beware of false idols.

For one, I'm glad I don't feel the need to have a gun. It escalates reactions in my opinion.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I am a newbie here this is my fourth post. still very nervous.
I cannot understand anyone wanting to have a gun, maybe it is being a Brit but a killing machine by the bed?
Surely this is what the NWO wants, everyone to be armed and fired up, kill a burgular never mind his baby needs to go to the hospital when the parents have no insurance.
The NWO wants us to be armed and against each other, it is playing into their game, your neighbour is your enemy.
Sorry if I have over steped the mark, also am dyslexic have problems with spelling and grammer

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzylizzy
I am a newbie here this is my fourth post. still very nervous.
Sorry if I have over steped the mark, also am dyslexic have problems with spelling and grammer

Welcome. Don't worry about overstepping anything...this is an opinion-based thread, and you opinion is as important as anyone else's. Canadian's share your difficulty in understanding American gun culture, though Common Law has a lot to say about how you can and cannot deal with a housebreaker...quite often at odds with the current rule of law.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
In my opinion, guns are for pussys that do not have balls or honour.

Carrying a gun is not going to stop your from being killed. If someone is going to shoot you, chances are they will shoot you before you have time to get your gun out.

You carry a gun because you are scarred? Are you a man? Don't run from fear.

Men don't use guns, they fight like animals in unarmmed combat.

All guns should be destroyed. They are for killing and killing only.
Bullets for recreational shooting can be replaced by a laser.

[edit on 20-5-2009 by NeuroStability]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeuroStability
You carry a gun because you are scarred? Are you a man? Don't run from fear.

Men don't use guns, they fight like animals in unarmmed combat.

??? I carry a gun so I won't NEED to feel scared. No I am not a man. And I don't plan to run from fear, the whole idea is to just kill it.

Yes, men do fight like animals, they can be quite brutal. They are animals that typically weigh 50 to 100 lbs more than I do and are more than 3 TIMES STRONGER. That is exactly the point!

[edit on 20-5-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Sounds like a cop out to me. Fear is apart of being human.

There is always going to be someone stronger than you. So everyone should carry a gun to counter-act the stronger person?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Sounds like a cop out to me. Fear is apart of being human.

There is always going to be someone stronger than you. So everyone should carry a gun to counter-act the stronger person?

Not everyone has to carry a gun. I don't care whether they do or not. I am concerned about my families safety and my personal safety. You worry about the rest of the world.

Oh btw...you should have told this skinny kid to "man up". This happened in Australia so he didn't have a choice or a chance. They met him on the train and they wanted his backpack, he tried to avoid talking to them but it didn't work out.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I am unable to see that video as it wants me to sign up. I also don't use Flash.

Can you show me it in MPEG2/4?

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I am unable to see that video as it wants me to sign up. I also don't use Flash.

Can you show me it in MPEG2/4?

Google "train station beating melbourne" the video is on a few sites, but it may all be linked off youtube.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
haha, funny you say that.. Last week I was looking up 'street fights melbourne' 'street fights flinders' on YouTube.

Is the video your talking about the one where the train driver kicks the sht out of that guy at Flinders on Platform 4?

Getting beaten up atleast once in life is essential.
I've been beaten up once in my life, and guess where?! Flinders street station! It was 15 vs 2. Them being the 15.

Thats life!... Gun? As if.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NeuroStability

No it is three large urban "youths" beating a skinny Aussie kid (23)senseless in a train station because they want his backpack. The guy is on the ground and repeatedly kicked in the head until unconscious, he was pleading with them to stop but they just kept going (they were apparently really having fun).

That isn't a "fight" that is a random attack on helpless victim, they could have easily killed him and they did not care. They enjoyed it because they had all the power and he had none.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Who cares if the guy was Aussie. Doesn't mean he can't fight. Down where I live; Fitzroy (800 metres from Flinders street station), I know plenty that will fight.

The guy wasn't helpless. He could have got up and fought, but instead he lay there and begged like a pussy.

He doesn't deserve a gun.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Did you watch the video? And if you did and you think that is a "fair fight so its all good" there is something wrong. It is not fair, it is not all good, it was darn near cold blooded murder.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I am sick of arguing with you over what I think about fighting. All I am saying is that guns are for pussys. The end.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

NeuroStability, the line you are taking here seems to me (with all due respect) to be slightly fatuous and irrelevant. I'm sure it's a disaster that everyone doesn't "man up" and use their fists like you - but isn't the real question here not who's more manly but how we get to the point where people don't feel that they need to bear arms?

Resorting to personal comments is both not in the spirit of these boards or indeed pertinent to the argument in question. Regardless of whether or not you think carrying guns is a good idea (my view is that it certainly isn't), the constructive way to help reach a gun-free society is to persecute those who generate the fear, not those who are fearful.

LW

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
The first step is to outlaw them in my opinion. If you look at Australia, we have a very low murder rate from guns.. Why? Because we have such tite gun laws, where as in the U.S.A., there is a very high murder rate from guns.. Why? Because everyones got one... In a philosophical sence.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I still thank that's to chase the egg not the chicken. While I believe strongly in the Eddie Izzard theory: "guns don't kill people, people do... but I think the gun helps...", I nevertheless understand that in order to help solve the consequences of fear, you need to get rid of the causes. The guns are symptoms of the fear, but they aren't necessarily the root cause.

LW

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join