It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I carry a gun or two!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Well, that depends. I've been an avid gun enthusiast since I was a kid. I think it is a huge misconception to say that American's are obsessed with guns. Most people in America don't carry guns around with them.

You guys have huge knife crimes out there, but i'm willing to bet that most Brits don't carry knives everywhere they go either. The fact is this:

It is an inalienable right, meaning a natural god given right, to be able to defend yourself. In America we believe that means to defend from the government as much as from criminals. Because Americans know a least some of their own history, they know governments can get out of hand. And from time to time need a good ass kicking to keep them in check.

You need guns to do that against the US Government. The founding of our country is based on the idea that people govern themselves(Hence my reference to you being a subject, I don't mean that offensively in any way). But Brits don't govern themselves, you are unfortunately governed.

Though I'm fairly certain, after watching the G-20 protests, that if you REALLY wanted to kick the crap out of your #ty government you could with relative ease.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by aorAki
I don't carry a gun.

I'm not paranoid.

I'm lucky that I live in New Zealand because it means I don't have to deal with nutters who feel it is their right to carry a gun (and yes I read the whole OP).

I live in a more peaceful part of the world too. I am glad that the goodies and the baddies don't have guns.

Regards

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
You guys have huge knife crimes out there, but i'm willing to bet that most Brits don't carry knives everywhere they go either....

I think the knife crime in the UK is somewhat less significant than you imagine, so the word "huge" would be misplaced.

There is a great deal of contoversy over the big increase to c. 250 knife related deaths in 07/08 in the UK and the usual arguements over statistics and whether the figure is a "one off", but this figure pales into comparison with the 10,000+ gun murders in the USA. Indeed, the US has higher murder rate per capita than most other developed nations (c 5.5 / 100,000 in the USA versus c 1.2 / 100,000 in the UK).

On the basis of the number of US citizens murdered by knives, I would suggest that the problem is not just UK specific.

US cime stats on the FBI website

Regards

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I sincerely want to thank my British cousins.

Thanks to Britain, we have validated, in our Constitution, our right to carry arms.

Left to our own devices, who would even think of such a thing?

I conceal carry everywhere, except bars, schools, and government buildings, as the law stipulates.

No one has any idea, and there's no reason to suspect I carry. I've talked my way out of more trouble over the years than the law allows.

But I'll be damned if I'll be a victim waiting my turn to get slaughtered by some asshole who's gone off the deep end.

I like the .45 1911, and since I've used one in combat, I know it will get the job done. It's a confidence thing with me. I don't fully trust the 9mm, as many who've used one in combat weren't that impressed.

BUT! Either a well-placed 9mm, or a quick multiple of 9mm's will usually assist the target in assuming ambient temperature.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
However, when does carrying one around during your day to day go from being an act of preparedness to being an elicit invitation for trouble to find you?

In your home, I think having a gun is a great idea. In your car as well.

But you said "I'm not a cowboy," then what are you? I mean, lets say someone pulls a gun on you. In your self defense, you, the better marksmen, win the gunfight. The guy dies. Now it is your word against the evidence. Who says you don't spend life in jail?

Your comments are just downright strange. You sound like one of those people that think guns are "magical".

First of all people that carry all the time don't even think about it after a little while. It becomes natural, and you only think about it when going into a bar (where they are banned) or if a situation seems risky. Maybe because you don't own one it seems like a "really big power trip" but the power trip goes away pretty darn quick in real life.

Secondly, that bit about a "gunfight" is silly. If you are getting carjacked or about to get mugged and you see it coming, you just shoot them if you have enough time. Not a gunfight, just a simple matter of plugging them full of holes.

You need to get your head straight about what guns really are, and what they really do. It ain't magic, it is pretty darn simple and brutal.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Double post ...well actually wrong thread.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Secondly, that bit about a "gunfight" is silly. If you are getting carjacked or about to get mugged and you see it coming, you just shoot them if you have enough time. Not a gunfight, just a simple matter of plugging them full of holes.

You need to get your head straight about what guns really are, and what they really do. It ain't magic, it is pretty darn simple and brutal.

You're right about the brutal part. Plugging them full of holes? Murder.
You might get away on self-defence, but without medical attention fast those arteries in the leg are going to bleed a lot. And by a lot, I mean to death.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by bamaoutlaw

Your grandpa is dead on the money with what he thinks...I feel the very same way.

In my line of work it is essential for me to carry ... and i do it religiously

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
reply to post by projectvxn

It's sometimes difficult for those of us in countries where most never see a gun except on TV to understand American's "obsession" with guns - and I guess it's the same the other around around.

Log me in with the Kiwi and the Brit. I'm totally happy living in a society where hand guns are extremely limited. The less of them out there, the happier I am. I just wish they'd tighten up the laws down south so they'd stay on the other side of the border.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
How bout an alternative view.

I don't carry a gun, because when people see guns the get scared and panic.

I don't carry a gun, because I do not put myself in bad predicaments where I would never need to use one.

I don't carry a gun, because I have a home security system to protect my house.

I don't carry a gun, because thousands of people each year accidentally shoot themselves or somebody else.

I don't carry a gun, because if I did I am much more likely to get shot.

I don't carry a gun, because my brain is a more powerful weapon.

I don't carry a gun because I am not a cowboy. I dry clean my shirts, wear expensive shoes, and separate my recyclables.

I don't carry a gun, because if I need to do some whoopin, I do it old school and settle the score like a man, with my fists.

I don't carry a gun, because I don't want to be stereotyped as a criminal or a postal worker.

Look, I don't hate guns. I'm all for the 2nd amendment. If someone wants to go out in the woods and start busting off some caps, I am all for that. Its fun. But to live in a society with everyone carrying a gun, is not a society that I want to be in. If there wasn't so many guns out there, then there would be no reason to carry one to protect yourself.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I can kind of see both sides of the story, BUT I have never seen a hand gun in my life and can't comprehend a society flooded with them. Know why there are so little gun deaths in Newfoundland, cause there are no guns.

Now, if i lived somewhere where its easier to get a gun then tylenol 30's, i'd probally be nervous too and carry one, but I dont know, i'm not in that situation. I do feel the u.s is a little "gun happy" tho. And it always seems, that they will give up any freedom and liberty except the right to carry a gun.

Id much rather live in a city where I can stumble home from the bar at 3am and not worry about being shot. You are a product of your enviorment, and if that includes guns, # happens. Betcha in ancient Japan sword deaths were common, lol, just sayin.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged

Id much rather live in a city where I can stumble home from the bar at 3am and not worry about being shot. You are a product of your environment, and if that includes guns, # happens.

...and a star (an' a shot o' screech, me son) for the Newfoundlander as well...what is is about islands and common sense on this issue?

Just to bolster that discussion. Toronto has about 2.5 million population. Something like 80 murders in 2007. 54 gun related.

Stack that up against any comparable American city and you hit a statistic that goes way beyond simple good manners.

[edit on 7-5-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Thanks for the screech lol, ever in "town" we'll have to get you screeched in hahah, But yeah, its like I said, there are no gun murders here, cause there are no guns, its simple, mind bogglingly simple really.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by testrat
How bout an alternative view.

I don't carry a gun, because when people see guns the get scared and panic.

I don't carry a gun, because I do not put myself in bad predicaments where I would never need to use one.

I don't carry a gun, because I have a home security system to protect my house.

I don't carry a gun, because thousands of people each year accidentally shoot themselves or somebody else.

I don't carry a gun, because if I did I am much more likely to get shot.

I don't carry a gun because I am not a cowboy. I dry clean my shirts, wear expensive shoes, and separate my recyclables.

I don't carry a gun, because if I need to do some whoopin, I do it old school and settle the score like a man, with my fists.

I don't carry a gun, because I don't want to be stereotyped as a criminal or a postal worker.

Look, I don't hate guns. I'm all for the 2nd amendment. If someone wants to go out in the woods and start busting off some caps, I am all for that. Its fun. But to live in a society with everyone carrying a gun, is not a society that I want to be in. If there wasn't so many guns out there, then there would be no reason to carry one to protect yourself.

interesting... but mostly innacurate at best...

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

My dad openly carried a sidearm every day of his life. He always taught me the following about carrying a gun:

1.) You can think your way out of any situation.
2.) You never draw your weapon unless you are actually going to use it.
3.) If you have to resort to drawing your weapon then you have already lost.
4.) Therefore, you only carry a weapon as a last-ditch effort for when you brain fails you. It's better to be a stoopid loser than dead.

It took me a while to understand the beauty of that Euclidean Logic.

I'm not personally opposed to guns in any way, as long as they are treated with respect and care, and have considered time and time again carrying a sidearm. However, I guess I learned Point #1 well enough that I've never needed it...and unlike many who are never in dangerous situations, I have been there more than my fair share of times...and still found that I didn't need anything more than my wit to get me out safely.

Those with Big Brains don't need Big Guns...but if ever you are in a situation with someone with a bigger brain than your own, it might not be too bad of an idea to have a backup plan by having a gun anyway.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by testrat

well I figure your greatest tool is your mind...but there is a problem and it is called the other guy having a gun shoved in your nose and is ready to ventialte your brain....no thanks I keep the guns as well as using my brains to defeat the enemy...

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by lilwolf

The only purpose of a handgun is to kill another human. You can't hunt with it, you can maybe take target practice with it. But the majority of handgun owners have it in case they ever need to shoot another person.

If you look at societies with strict gun laws, especially with handguns. You do not have people have people running around sticking guns in peoples noses.

The 2nd amendment is for the right to bear arms against foreign invaders. Last time I checked the US hasn't been invaded in awhile. Its pretty much a loophole that allows anyone to own a gun or go on a killing spree.

If people want to pretend and think they are John Wayne and shoot up bad guys, go for it. I'll run and hide, and be able to walk away from the incident.

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by testrat If you look at societies with strict gun laws, especially with handguns. You do not have people have people running around sticking guns in peoples noses.

I repeat: Toronto has about 2.5 million population. Something like 80 murders in 2007. 54 gun related.

Stack that up against any comparable American city and you hit a statistic that goes way beyond simple good manners.

Can we get a gun enthusiast to chime in?

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RivyolieYou're right about the brutal part. Plugging them full of holes? Murder.
You might get away on self-defence, but without medical attention fast those arteries in the leg are going to bleed a lot. And by a lot, I mean to death.

Obviously I am referring to self defense. I don't underestand your comments about them bleeding out; that is the whole point! The purpose is to take them down as fast as possible with head or chest shots, if they are moving around they are still a threat. So ideally they would NOT bleed out from a leg wound as that would take a while.

You ever hear about cops shooting some guy in the leg? Nope. When they shoot, they shoot to kill. Why do they do that? Because they are NOT stupid! Because they have a CLUE about what they are doing! As stated, it is not "magical".

[edit on 8-5-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

reply to post by lilwolf

The only purpose of a handgun is to kill another human. You can't hunt with it, you can maybe take target practice with it. But the majority of handgun owners have it in case they ever need to shoot another person.

If you look at societies with strict gun laws, especially with handguns. You do not have people have people running around sticking guns in peoples noses.

The 2nd amendment is for the right to bear arms against foreign invaders. Last time I checked the US hasn't been invaded in awhile. Its pretty much a loophole that allows anyone to own a gun or go on a killing spree.

If people want to pretend and think they are John Wayne and shoot up bad guys, go for it. I'll run and hide, and be able to walk away from the incident.

wrong all over the place sir... I and many people I know actually do indeed hunt with hi power handguns... I have shot bear, elk, deer and numerous other critters and each time it has been the challenge... but to say they are or have no other purpose than to kill... keep in your mind the gun can do nothing at all...it requires the human element...

having a hand gun for self defense is what is primarliy for (to some people) and I have used mine for that purpose precisely...

you got any valid stats other than gang bangers or the wnnabes that shove guns in people faces... funny thing I have been chasing bad guys for nearly 25 years and only once did I shove a handgun in some punks face... only one time so unless you got something that says the law abiding people do this thing you imagine to happen... you are seriously wrong...

Constitution say I can have guns and that is hardly a loophole.... but I suppose it is to some of the hard left leaners that are scared crapless of guns and such or the right own them.

And no one I know runs around pretending to be John Wayne or some silly crap like that...

hopefully you can keep walking away from the bad guys and you will still someone caps you...and if you live then you will want a gun for defense... or if you do not make it...then you can think about it on the other side for awhile...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join