It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Tracks Reader's Interests to Make Advertising Personal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Google Tracks Reader

technology.timesonline.co.uk

Google said it has developed a system that can track users who visit sites that show Google advertising. By following users through the sites, Google is able to display advertising that is relevant to each individual user.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/3/2009 by Cauch1]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So just when we thought it was the government tracking us everywhere and all the time it turns out to be Google doing the work for them. Great, we can feel even more secure now we know that private firms are building up files on us as well as the government. It is things like this that make you wonder just who you can trust these days.

Now I have always been a strong supporter of Google over all other search engines and I use plenty of their own software and programming, and this shocks me. The very fact that they are tracking us even for their own reasons is bad enough. However the real big problem is that they then have a stockpile of information on us for governments to confiscate and use when they want. I don't know about you guys out there but I feel more insecure and nervous about what is going on around us than ever.

technology.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/3/2009 by Cauch1]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Google can be used to do all this for companies/goverment. And is doing it already for all we know. So no. Not so shocked about this. And in theory they can do it anonymously by not linking the IP with the data of the person. Can do and will say they are not doing it. Even if they do it without linking, a governing entity can get the data available and link it themselves.

Nothing anonymous about Internet if you do not prepare it that way, hasn't been for a long time. A nice topic about it: www.abovetopsecret.com...

What gives you any reason that anyone in power will not use any possibility to stay in power?

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Harman]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harman
What gives you any reason that anyone in power will not use any possibility to stay in power?

Not sure what you are getting at here. Of course I know that someone in power will try to stay there. However I was not aware that even companies like Google were building up files on us even without us signing into their websites or registering. And what do you mean it could be "doing it already for all we know" they are doing it. Ah well never mind I found it quite surprising that they were keeping official records on us. Evidently it would seem you have picked up on something I haven't.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I friggin' knew it! About a year ago when I broke up with my girlfriend, I started getting these ads that asked if I needed a girlfriend. I put it down to just some higher being kicking me while I was down. Turns out I was right... and that 'higher being' was Google.

On one hand I could see how this would be great for marketing. On the other, how dangerous of a weapon this could become.

Say you've included your biggest fear in an 'About Me' section of a social networking website. Say that fear was spiders. One day you're surfing ATS, browsing some controversial thread and then BAM! Big, fat, hairy spider coming directly out of the right side of your computer screen. I think you'd be inclined to abandon that thread and move on to something else.

Could this be another way to filter the internet?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Just picture the advertisements for pedophiles.

Every ad is a wide-eyed Chris Hanson, staring you down.

In all seriousness, this doesn't surprise me. Google started off small but they're now an enormous business and probably have the "elite mentality".

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
OMG! DUH! I've known this, since Google came out. Truth is; cookies, scripts, and IP tracking have been part of this business model since forever. I recommend Mozilla Firefox, AdBlock, NoScript Plus, and AdAware.

Getting CCleaner and HiJackThis (trendmicro)

O-315

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This is good news. This plan by google would stomp out usage of ad-blockers, because people would only be getting the ads that they are really interested in. I would rather get ads for electronics and computers than time shares and hand lotion. I do want ads that interest me, thumbs up for the effort from google.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by organism315

I have a bit of a problem there though. Because of my very old computer dodgy internet and wifi and assorted other problems I use the most reliable and minimum resource using browser. Problem is that it is Google Chrome. Plus there is all that other Google software and search bars that get inside other browsers and operating systems. I was one of the ones that supported Google to get bigger and better but it seems that by doing that I have helped create a monster. I feel kind of like Dr. Frankenstein. Ah well back to the start now Yahoo gets its chance to grow and track us and keep files on us.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
For a few people this would seem like preaching to the choir, but it's surprising how many actual users on this site are so ignorant of even things like Google.

new topics

top topics

join