It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows Genuine Advantage faking it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I have two PC's in my network, both versions of windows are seperate and are genuine installations that came with them in original purchase. They both came pre installed with XP SP2. One of the PC's that I have, has windows updates disabled as I had heard of people suffering system problems if allowing an upgrade to SP3.

The other PC has windows updates turned on fully (SP3 now) and today it has popped up with a message telling me it is not a genuine copy of windows. I am confused because it has previously passed this already when installing windows media player 11??

Obviously this seems to be an updated version of windows genuine validation software. I am keen to find out if anyone has any potential answers here or if they have experienced the same thing with Genuine copies?

Smells fishy considering the fact that Windows 7 is on the horizon and they have now pulled Windows XP from the shelves.

I absolutely hate Vista and have no time of the day for it and prefer XP but it seems they want you to upgrade no matter what these days.

The PC in question is a pentium 4 that was purchased quite some time ago therefore this problem would have popped up way before now if it was indeed fake.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
If it is really a "genuine" copy of XP, then Microsoft tech support should be able to fix the problem for you. I have read about people having the same issue and it ends up being a bit of a headache. Usually they end up commenting that it would simply be easier to download a WGA crack than it is to deal with microsoft.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
No listen.
Install Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool.
To get the updates.
But in the updates themselves.
De select Windows Genuine Advantage NOTIFICATIONS!!
Don't install that update.
I hide it in the updates, and it keeps pestering me to un hide it.
Doh!I wonder why

You have to remove it in the updates now in ctrl panel.
And if you cant do that, you have to use google and find the files to remove, because I cant remember them.
Its a nag for giving bill gates more money he doesn't deserve.
I have the crack, that allows me to get updates.
But it will still try and install this notification.
It even gives it on genuine copy's.
If you have even non genuine word or something, it will put the nag..
Its a scam like all of Microsoft.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by CaptainCaveMan]

[edit on 11-3-2009 by CaptainCaveMan]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I have called them up and they have told me if I send in my proof of purchase they will send a complimentary copy of XP. Problem is I do not have the receipt as it has been that long since I bought it.
I gave them my serial number and they said they could send out a boot disc as an alternative option for some cash.

I do not have a boot disc but even if I did, reinstalling it is going to result in the same thing.

Sounds like ill have to crack it despite it being legal or install the windows version from my other PC and forget the updates.

Basically its being viewed as a copy.

Gotta love it.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Just a thought here...

Ask them to prove its not a legit copy, considering it passed the WGA test for Media player. They can't have it both ways.

WGA is binding to a specific installation. If they have accepted you previously, they can't deny you this time, and I would wager that legally, they don't have a leg to stand on, and should sort the issue out for you.

[edit on 11/3/09 by neformore]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

As far as I am aware nothing that is on the pc is a copy.

Just seems like a scam for more cash or a forced update to Vista or Windows 7.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I did mention that, how else could I have internet explorer 7 and media player 11 from previous updates.

The guy on the phone told me that these are my options without a proper answer to my questions.

He also said I should have made a boot up disc and I argued the fact that it would surely only recreate the same problem after updates?

I got the response "would I like to purchase now or call back later?"

He also said to contact the retailer who may be able to help but my warranty is expired.

I hung up before I swallowed my phone in anger.

I called this number on the website support.microsoft.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

First off Vista is great never had even one problem with it in 2 years now. My other two downstairs run pre-installed XP and both updated without probllems to SP3 and were checked and found validated. I would call microsoft and have your numbers/models/and such ready and they can give you a new # if it messed up...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
You can fix it, I fixed my sisters, she has an OEM genuine with pre installed version, and because she has a pirated copy of Word, it told her to put this update with the nag screen on her whole OS!
Once there file is on your pc, it can see everything.
They cant tell from just the validation tool.
Removing this notification is not copyright infringement, in fact its infringement for them putting it there without telling you what its going to do.
1. Lauch Windows Task Manager.
2. End wgatray.exe process in Task Manager.
3. Restart Windows XP in Safe Mode.
4. Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32.
5. Delete WgaTray.exe from c:\Windows\System32\dllcache.
6. Lauch RegEdit.
7. Browse to the following location:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Notify
8. Delete the folder ‘WgaLogon’ and all its contents
9. Reboot Windows XP.
Note: With this method, you may be prompted to install WGA Notifications again which can still be unselected.

www.mydigitallife.info...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

Ill give it a try.

Thanks for the info.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
That's happened to me a couple times. Yes, I am running a "real" install. No, no one else has tried to use my disks. Instead of running in circles with Microstinks, I just do a System Restore. Works like a charm

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
i can tell you how to make it genuine with out a wga crack or anything.
if ya want.
its easy .

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
WGA is a PITA and many have problems with it.
The main problem is that you have few options if you want to keep your Windoze updated.
"Patching" your WGA is a violation of your contract for using windows, and only works until the next WGA update sneaks into your system, as sometimes it is just called a "critical update".
Are you positive all your Microsoft programs are legit? Didn't buy a cheap copy of Office or Flight Sim or some other off ebay or garage sale? Didn't sell off your install copy? System built by a reputable dealer who uses legit software and only one copy of Windoze per machine, or has a valid multi install oem key?

I would argue that if you have completely legal copies of all your M$ software and can't get satisfaction from M$ support, hacking your own would be proper. Micro$oft, however, doesn't see it that way though.
There are uncounted ways around WGA, but a discussion of them, or any instructions would be a violation of numerous TOS's, and even possibly be opening anyone or any site to "terrorism" charges under the new laws regarding "cyber terrorism".
Silly, but true.
Anyone who can type can use google to find anything.

On another note, as a beta tester for "Se7en" I can say it looks like M$ has fixed Vi$ta, as IMHO, it is just Vi$ta that works. I am currently running the 64 bit Ultimate version, and it is very fast, not as resource hungry as vista or xp, runs both 32 and 64 bit versions of software concurrently without slow downs or crashes, and really doesn't have many incompatibilities with drivers, as it is basically just Vista.
In beta, it does have some issues, but I have found less problems with it than I found with my Vi$ta SP1 "finished" OEM system builder install.
There is not as much difference between Vista and Seven as there was between ME and XP.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Im just wondering if anything such as this could effect this then.

I had a copy of flight simulator 98 that I felt like firing up for old times sake on it a few weeks ago. I had a trouble getting it to work as I only have the cd case and never got a serial number as it was included in an older pc package with packard bells preloaded software in my old and gone pentium 1.

I had to get a crack as I never got an original serial number despite it being a genuine copy though.

Could this have actually caused this!!??

Im kicking myself if it is.....Doh!

Never used to be like this.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Flight Sim 98 didn't use activation/key validation. It would have to be something post 2002 or so. Windows and Office XP were the start of product activation. Before that they had keys but they could just be passed around. Sometimes the WGA just gets false positives for non-genuine software. It's a known issue and I'm surprised MS support gave you that much trouble about it.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by an0maly33]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Yes, happend to one of my laptops and it was fixed by calling that number of the local Microsoft office in order to get it fixed.

Hope this helps.

new topics

top topics

join