It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.410 Riffled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I got an old 2 and 3/4 inch .410, cut off the chock and had the barrel rifled, It now shoots .45 Colt Peace Maker rounds. It's a hard hitting little single shot. I'm thinking of getting a 3 inch mag. .410 and doing the same but using a 45.70 cal. round, Any suggestion,s, Besides get a hobbie.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Probably not the best time to post this with the two massacres that have occurred over the last 24 hours IMHO.

IRM

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Taurus made a .45/410 Revolver...only ever saw one at a gun show so I cant say how well that worked out.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
Taurus made a .45/410 Revolver...only ever saw one at a gun show so I cant say how well that worked out.

The Taurus Judge.

It's a fantastic and fun little gun.

www.taurususa.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

That's ridiculous. There was a car wreck on the ice this morning so I guess I cant talk about cars now, right?

Please be sure to come back and let us all know when it's "okay" to continue a conversation about firearms.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

That's somewhat oversimplifying what I'm saying but go ahead, talk about your guns all you want. You don't need to twist concepts to justify it.

Just stating my opinion.

IRM

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Do you even look at what section your in?

It's called "Weaponry".

Moron...............

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Dude, I don't think a .410 is designed to handle the chamber pressures that those rounds generate.

The pressure would probably be at least DOUBLE with the metallic cartridge vs. the shotshell?

I know some combination weapons exist, like the Taurus Judge, and T/C makes a .45/.410 barrel, but the are designed from the get go to handle the higher pressure.

Maybe this isn't such a good idea?

Thisguyrighthere or Zindoone need to weigh in on this...

[edit on 11-3-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by j2000

Do you even look at what section your in?

It's called "Weaponry".

Moron...............

Yes I know where I am, but I have a right to an opinion. Yes?

No need for personal attacks and name calling. It's a T&C violation!

IRM

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

It's not a very sensible opinion. We shouldn't talk about weapons in a weaponry forum because there was a massacre somewhere?

There's ALWAYS a massacre somewhere. It's a violent world. That's just the way it is. Perhaps what you should complain about, is people talking about human beings - since humans are the ones going on massacres, and not a bunch of autonomous guns (yet.)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

You're absolutely right.

Chances are a gun manufactured to fire .410 and only .410 wasnt designed to handle a .45lc and will fail catastrophically eventually. It's a gamble I wouldnt make but it's also a possibility he could fire it all day and never suffer catastrophic failure.

You're pretty much safe as hell the other way around firing .410 from a firearm designed to fire .45lc though I cant help but think the shot will mess up your rifling.

Zindo probably has pressures and tolerances and all sorts of specific physical information to pull right off the top of his head to prove this is unsafe but I dont. I'm but a mere mortal who doesnt like firearms exploding in his face.

Never fire anything out of a gun that doeant match whats stamped on the side of the gun. Hmmm.... my AR's say "Multi" so I guess that means I can fire just about anything I can jam in there, huh?*

*I'm joking. Dont anybody go out and do that.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
okay I'll agree shooting a long colt in a smoothbore might not be a good idea but if you took something like a Snake Charmer 410 and had someone make you a rifled barrel I bet it'd be okay...

But going back to the original post I might be more then a little scared of The traditional .45-70 factory load 405 grain in such a light weapon...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

So did the military and police forces of the world take the day off because it might be 'insensitive' to walk around with guns on?

Besides, since when is 16 people a 'massacre'.

The world just gets more pussified every day.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
OoooooK!!!! I'm chiming in here!! DO NOT SHOOT MODERN .45 COLT ROUNDS IN ANY SHOTGUN THAT IS NOT SPECIFICALY DESIGNED TO HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF THE COLT ROUND!!! If the barrel is not marked for both rounds your going to end up with a shotgun that will literaly blow your face off or your hand that is holding the barrels! It is twice the pressure in the Colt round as has been mentioned. Even black powder loads would be unwise! A .45-70 round is multiplying that threat. Thats just plain DUMB!!

Also, if you've personaly cut those barrels and the stock and the gun does not meet the minimum length mandated by federal law, you have just graduated to a felony. Federal authorities are now cracking down very hard on legitamate gunsmiths for doing this within the law so your toast if your caught with that shotgun. Altering any firearm from factory specs will raise the eyebrows of any ATF agent that might need a promotion or to get his butt out of another mistake he might have made! Your just making it easier for our 'Benevolent ATF' to clamp down on all of us!
Zindo

Edit for grammer and spacing! DUH

[edit on 3/11/2009 by ZindoDoone]

[edit on 3/11/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I only cut a half inch off the end of the barrel. I got the idea in the Navy, We used .410 line gun's to shoot line's across to other ship's during unrep, They also shoot the primer from a 5 inch 54 anti aircraft round, dropped a AA batt. down the barrel and shot seagull's, a Marine gunnery sargent showed me that. I belive I'll forget the 45.70 idea, I like my face the way it is

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Also wanted to add that in many states, it is illegal to shorten a barrel less than factory length, EVEN IF it still meets federal min. for the barrel and overall.

nudder line

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
good idea.. old military rds can't be beat; if you think about ammo availability
your cal. is awesome.

1. make your own bullets..
2. make your own powder. (with out it fouling up actions and moving parts)
3. load your own shells with out much trouble. (as long as you have primers)
4. cowboy loads rock like wild bill.
5. you can have brush gun that can kill a moose. (food)

The .45 Colt is the basis for the much more powerful .454 Casull cartridge, with the .454 Casull having a slightly longer and stronger case. Any .454 Casull revolver will also chamber and fire .45 Colt, but the inverse is impossible due to the Casull's longer case.

The .45 Colt, when loaded to its potential, produces greater power with less recoil and chamber pressure than a .44 Magnum. All of this is achieved with a larger caliber bullet.[1]

The .460 S&W Magnum is an even longer version of the .454 Casull and the .45 Colt. Likewise, .460 Magnum revolvers can also chamber and fire the two lesser calibers, but again, the inverse is impossible.

The .45 ACP round produces inferior game killing ability, as it cannot use heavyweight bullets. It uses a much shorter overall cartridge length, with faster burning powders and higher chamber pressures, allowing it to be used in more compact autoloading pistols and submachine guns. Because of this, the .45 ACP is superior to the .45 Colt for military purposes. from wiki

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Chamber pressure .410 = 8,000psi
Chamber pressure 45 LC = 14,000psi
Chamber pressure 45-70 = 28,000psi

Bullets don't seem like a good idea. If you need a solid, shoot a .410 slug

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   
i'm a gun nut and know quite a bit- never made wildcat cartridges or modified a gun tho but i would NEVER put a cartridge in a gun that is not designed for it. a guns chamber is designed for that cartridges pressure.
if i was to do it i would tie it to a tree with astring on the trigger and stand far away. not to mention the fact you might destroy the gun and unless you have the money to burn in this economy go for it.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by bigfoot1212]

new topics

top topics

join