It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Security Council Accuses Iran of Violating United Nations Sanctions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Security Council Accuses Iran of Violating United Nations Sanctions

www.foxnews.com

UNITED NATIONS — A key Security Council committee reported Tuesday that Iran violated U.N. sanctions by trying to send weapons-related material to Syria on a cargo ship now docked in Cyprus.

Japan's U.N. Ambassador Yukio Takasu, chairman of the committee monitoring sanctions against Iran, provided few details, but his report marked the first official confirmation that the Cypriot-flagged M/V Monchegorsk was trying to circumvent the U.N. arms embargo on Iran. The ship docked on Jan. 29 and is still there, diplomats said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I sometimes wonder why Iran has to make things harder for them than it already is. It brings out the question: Are they really looking to antoginize every country in the world? If I where an Iranian policymaker I would try to lay low an avoid this type of incedents given the amount of scrutiny they are receiveing due to their nuclear ambitions.

This type of incidents don't help them at all.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
LMAO!

This makes no sense to me..

Why would Iran send weapons on a cargo ship to Syria when they could have done it by Transport truck or train ?

Somebody please explain that one to me..

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Well that's a bit rich considering all the UN resolutions that Israel is allowed to completely ignore. This is the problem with the UN, they allow favoured states to completely ignore resolutions time and time again yet scream when someone else does it.
To be honest, the UN is nothing more than a corrupt and politicised body set up to allow the worst offenders free range, whilst picking on the occasional bad guy (non Western) to hold up as an example of how effective it is.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I found that breaking news strange. Since it is an embargo against incomming material TO Iran. The news said about material going out from Iran to Syria. Is it a Syrian embargo ?

Weapon related material.... That's about anything and everything.

I know some weeks earlier this year, that a ship headind to Iran,was stuck in a mediteranean port, carrying some steel, that could be used for military purposes.

The ship was halted by request of Israeli intelligence on the ground of Iran embargo.

It appears that the steel was quite common, and maybe used for about everything for military to civilian building proposes. It appears that steel describe as military grade, is also the same use in constuction and other civil uses.

In fact, it would worth it, to check if it is not the same ship we are talking about.

I would like to see who is member of that key comitee in UN sec. council.

new topics

top topics

join