It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should senators and congress have a two term limit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I THINK YES!

www.examiner.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jmanshiphop

The only term limits should be made by the voters, like me. If I like a Senator or Congressman, why should they only be allowed to serve two terms? Some of the smaller states would lose much of their power and get crushed by the larger states with that type of thinking. North Dakota comes to mind, with the powerful Byron Dorgan.

If one does not like the job of their legislators or leaders, then vote them out of office. I, for one, do not like term limits as it tells me who I cannot vote for.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

I think it should be up to the individual states to decide whether or not to have term limits.

You raise the point that if a state doesn't like their senators/congresspeople, they should vote them out. I agree, however, many of these career politicians keep getting elected due to gerrymandering and questionable redistricting.

So like I said, I think it should be up to each state. Or perhaps even each congressional district.

Each state is allowed to choose what type of government they have as a state therefore, I believe each state should be allowed to decide how their state government and people interact with the federal government.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Hell yes, I think there should be term limits on ALL national politicians. Career politicians are one of the most counter-productive and potentially corruptive influences in this Nation.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Seniority is one of the great scams that has really mislead people into clinging to traitors. The states should not be dependent on the fed. That states should discourage their citizens from sending false tribute to DC in the form of taxation. It is unconstitutional, not in any so called tax code, etc.. The states have failed the citizens and the states have allowed themselves to be victimized by the fed. If the fed didn't have the money fabricated by the Federal Reserve and the illusion projected that they where really spending tax money. We wouldn't be caught up as easily in thinking the states need the fed. Caps should be placed on value added taxes by the fed or stopped entirely and the fed, the federal reserve should be shut down and the fed should beg the states for money like a PBS station does. The fed is the minor component not the major one. The founding fathers understood the value of bottom of lawful system and a bottom up government. The power is with the people, then the state then the fed. Every effort is being done to convince people they are the helpless slave of the state and the state of the fed. This is wrong.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by nasdack24k

Do you think the smaller states want to give up a long serving politician just for the whims of the term limits people? Remember, small states get ignored a lot, unless they have someone powerful in Congress. North Dakota has a very powerful Senator in Byron Dorgan. Do you think they want to give him up and all the perks he brings the state?

States cannot decide term limits or other criteria for federal office. Only the federal government and Constitution can do that, so if a state wants term limits, the Constitution has to be modified to allow the states to modify federal terms in their states.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
they should have something

top topics

join