It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caffeine Testing strips.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

How can you tell if coffee is really decaf?

A long-standing debate among the caffeine-wary is whether decaf served in restaurants is actually what it's billed to be – or is really a cup of the high-octane stuff. Among the skeptics? Read on. Do-it-yourself caffeine detectors called D+caf Test Strips will tell you if your beverage is – or isn't – the real thing. Just stick one of the tiny strips into a spoonful of coffee or tea (sans any milk or sugar, which eliminates drinks like lattes and sodas) and you'll have your answer in less than a minute, according to Discover Testing, which makes the strips. If the line above "D" (decaf) on the strip is darker, you're good to go; if it's darker above the "C" (caffeine), beware – your drink probably contains more caf than you'd like. All decaf tea and coffee contain a sprinkling of caffeine (less than a milligram per ounce), but these strips purport to alert drinkers if there are more than 20 mg in a 6 oz serving. For some perspective, a Starbucks "tall" (12 oz) decaf coffee contains about 20 mg of caffeine; its full-caf equivalent contains closer to 260 mg, according to the coffee purveyor's Web site. Discover Testing says that as many as a third of supposed decafs are phonies. So how much will it cost you to sip in confidence? A box of 20 test strips will set you back $9.95 or just under 50 cents a cup.

OK, Ive served tables during school at various places over the years and its all the same, everywhere. If we we are really slammed, you bet youd be getting what we have at that particular time.

I had to post this up, because anyone that has served before knows exactly what im talking about.

And im sure there are also some victims of the decaf imposter reading this. (this is for you)

So, all of my fellow servers...Watch out for the old couples with the weird looking coffee stir! I know i will next semester.

www.sciam.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Interesting, I wouldn't mind trying it out, but I'm on the other side of the reasoning... I'm not trying to avoid caffeine, I demand I get it!

I've had a few instances where a coffee I ordered was clearly the leftover decaf, as there was no observed effect from caffeine.
On those occasions, I would love to have something to prove to them they served me the wrong coffee.

I don't drink coffee for it's "outstanding taste", I drink it because I want to wake up!

Plus, a coffee and a cigarette don't work together if the coffee is decaf.
Nicotine and Caffeine, what a wonderful start to your morning.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by johnsky]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I wonder how sensitive these will be since the normal decaf cup contains between 6-10 mgs of caffiene

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electromotivation
I wonder how sensitive these will be since the normal decaf cup contains between 6-10 mgs of caffiene

Here ya go..

All decaf tea and coffee contain a sprinkling of caffeine (less than a milligram per ounce), but these strips purport to alert drinkers if there are more than 20 mg in a 6 oz serving. For some perspective, a Starbucks "tall" (12 oz) decaf coffee contains about 20 mg of caffeine; its full-caf equivalent contains closer to 260 mg, according to the coffee purveyor's Web site. Discover Testing says that as many as a third of supposed decafs are phonies.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Interesting, I wouldn't mind trying it out, but I'm on the other side of the reasoning... I'm not trying to avoid caffeine, I demand I get it!

LOL, same here. I don't care if it's coffee, coke, or dew.. I cannot function without caffeine.

So the product would be pointless for me, as I would never even consider de-caf in the first place.

Nicotine and Caffeine, what a wonderful start to your morning.

Yep, gotta second that, Marlboro all the way

(disclaimer; smoking is bad for you, it'll kill ya, blah blah cough cough)

Peace

[edit on 11/3/09 by Majorion]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hahaha...I really do appreciate this post as someone who used to work "in the biz".....So yes, I know exactly what you're talking about.

Think about it this way...if you didn't make the coffee personally you could always say that someone else must have brewed in the wrong pot.....

Interesting Note: Did you know that you can make your own decaf tea? Steep your tea bag for 5-10 seconds in hot water...and then re-brew it and its decaf! They actually tested the levels and its the same as decaf tea if not less!

top topics

join