It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You're too young...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
The title doesn't accurately reflect exactly what this thread is about, so let me tell you.

From a very young age, I've been a huge fan of rock from the 50's up until today. From Buddy Holly to the Beatles, The Who to Nirvana.. I am a fan of it all and everything in between. Since as long as I can remember, when someone older than I hears that I like this genre of music, I'm told that I am too young to know that kind of music.

Oh how it grinds my gears.

Because I was born in the mid 80's, I'm condemned to grow up with the boy bands of the 90's? No thank you.

Music is timeless. Why can't people understand this?

A kid called into the local radio station last week and asked for a Led Zeppelin song. As he requested it, I gripped the wheel and thought "hell yes!" Then the disc jockey responds with how the kid was too young to know that kind of music and questioned him for having even heard of it. Absolutely ruined it!

Am I nuts? Or does this annoy anyone else when they are told that they are too young to "know" that type of music.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

OH I KNOW!

If there is something that bothers me the most - it's when people associate my age with other aspects of my life; especially music (I myself, am a 60's early 70's fan). As if I'm expected to know what's going on in the life of the current music artists (if you can even call half of them that), just because I'm in my 20's.

I refuse to get stuck listening to the Brittany Spears, Spice Girls, and Sugar Ray's that gets passed off as being "music" on the local radio station. Some of the new stuff is tolerable, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some new music on my iPod. But give me Hendrix or Dylan over the Jonas Brothers, any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Once in a while, i'll find someone who looks past the age mark, and says "Oh really? What's your favorite Pink Floyd song? I myself like.....etc".

....but not very often.

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Not with just music, but a lot of things, sometimes some older people think younger people know nothing, it can feel quiet offensive really haha.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

I really don't know why teenage girls are crazy about the Jonas Brothers!? Have I been living in a cave? haha

[edit on 10-3-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

LOL I don't know either! I actually don't even really know who they are, other then they're on posters at the music store (gah). I don't even know if I've heard any of their stuff? I'm more of rock music fan - but I do enjoy my Coldplay once in a while

I'm with you, that this sort of attitude also transcends into other aspects of life: "You can't possibly know about marriage problems" - "You can't understand what's going on in the world today, you haven't been around long enough".

Age is just a number. It does not define you or me, what we know, or what we are all about.

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Sadly...a star is all I can show in real life

You've earned great respect out of me

I was born in 1979...for the most part a child of the 80's but people are so shocked to hear that I know the Zodiacs, Temptations...and later CBGB bands like Richard Hell and the Voidoids and the Guess Who...

Alot of people want to know what they are a child of...the 80's? 70's? 90's?

Let me answer it for you...you belong where your musical heart and soul put you.

Don't let your age and other people dictate your rock...you dictate it...well done

speaking of...I highly recommend looking through youtube and listening to some Voidoid songs...they blow my mind

Blank Generation is amazing to me

-Kyo

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I've always loved oldies music, 50's-80's. When I was in my twenties, all I listened to was oldies and most people, including my husband, think I'm crazy. He can't stand old music, and all he listens to is what is current.
My teenage kids are listening to oldies, because I have the sterio on all day long blaring the oldies.

And I LOVE motown music!!! I've got quite a collection of music from Gary Lewis and the Playboys to Aretha Franklin to the Beatles and everything in between!

If you haven't heard Cab Calloway, you're in for a treat. The Blues Brothers made this popular again in the 80's, but it was original 1940's.
Have a listen.

Minnie the Moocher

[edit on 10-3-2009 by virraszto]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This bugs me sometimes as well. Usually people who have this attitude are right for the most part, people who are born in 80's do listen to music from 90's and 00's. Majority of people work that way. That's where they got their attitude from, and this same "formula" goes around with just about any subject.

We couldn't possibly have a thrill about apollo missions, right? They are right, we can't. But we can live those moments through history books and still enjoy what has been done. Hopefully we get our own thrill at some day, if people are ever sent to Mars. That'll show them!-)

Music is a little different though, even when there are concerts we are forever unable to attend to.

I don't hear this very often though, but every once in a while it pops up and it annoys me every single time.

Personally, I listen to almost all types of music. I don't care if it is from 50's, 70's or a dance song from 2008 as long as it sound good to me. Basically I have an extremely diverce collection of music, that doesn't concencrate on anything specific. I enjoy it that way. I do recognize however that music that was made before my time is quite often a lot better. For me, new music is almost always rubbish. Not always, though.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
i completely understand what you are talking about, especially chissler and carrot

the way the DJ and other older people act just shows their arrogance towards people who are younger than they.

music is universal, it doesn.t matter at what time it has been made.

when i grew up my brother, now a musician by himself, was (and is still fond) of bach, beethoven, mozart, later he also got fond of jazz musician like albert mangelsdorff (a german jazz trombonist).
he was 6 when he got in touch with bach, now he plays bach on the organ.

was he to young for that, nope, nobody would ever admited that.

so it is nonsense that somebody is to old or to young for a certain music.
music is a language, music communicates (at least that is what it should do)
and if this kind of language, this special language touches your soul, your heart than you are at the right age for it, and it is the right music for you.

my ex always claimed he was to young to get to know of the beatles.
that was not the truth, he just didn.t liked the beatles, but didn.t wanted to admit it.
he prefered genesis, not a bad band.

when i look at myself: i like different kind of music: jazz, pop, rock, country, classic, and these days i detected a certain affinity for electronic music
am i to old to young ?
i don.t know and i don.t care.

all i know is that some people are to arrogant to acknowledge that even younger people than they are might be able to have knowlegde, experiences or skills they never will have.

but don.t allow this kind of people to mess up your life and your taste in music.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   

This door swings both ways. My GF on the + side of 50 shall we say is a huge fan of most current hard core Rock. What I term " junkie music"
and when we go to a Rock Show, we get some interesting comments from the inked and pierced crowd that are young enough to be our grandchildren. We don't care. Life is to short to worry about trivialities.
ART is ageless.
ART saves lives.
Fear no ART.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Ah yes good point! It can go both ways.

Older people can also enjoy video games, and new TV shows too!

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yeah, I get the same thing. I happen to be a big fan of Bach, even though I was only abut 4 when he died.

If you're a Bach fan (and who isn't?) Virgil Fox is the man.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Anyone of any age can be a fan of Classic Rock. My boys love Pink Floyd and all of the music from that age. Their rap loving friends would start to listen to the stuff and acted like they discovered something new. It was so cool when they would do that, and their parents would be happy to share their records with their kids, if only to stop that other noise.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Musical maturity is a sign of mental maturity IMO.

One of the few things I thank my biological father for was his instilling in me the appreciation for classic rock. He always had America, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Beach Boys (YES the Beach Boys), Beatles, etc. playing in his house and in his car. It gave me that solid musical foundation which allowed me to appreciate music from all eras and genres. Unfortunately after 2000 (give or take) music has become very hard to appreciate as readily.

Props Chizz.

Peace

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Musical maturity is a sign of mental maturity IMO.

I listen to Beethoven and Tchaikovsky.

Alzheimer's should have set in a LONG time ago.
lol.

Oh, and to the op...

You're too young to listen to their music... you are bound by unspoken law to listen to today's garbage. Now get back in your crib and blare some boy band's whiny angst.

I rarely get the "you're too young" statement... I usually get "How the heck do you know the words to that?!"

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to good music Chissler. It is frustrating when someone tells you that "You young people do not know what good music is." Did they ever think that us young people may know what we are talking about? I too listen to the classic rock and classic country almost every day of the week. After all, most of the musice on my mp3 player are either classic rock or country with a little bit of bluegrass mixed in.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
It's just as bad as being told that I'm too old to be listening to Trance.
As far as music is concerned, you're never too old or too young to listen to anything you want, EXCEPT Rap, which should be banned!!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wookiee
It's just as bad as being told that I'm too old to be listening to Trance.
As far as music is concerned, you're never too old or too young to listen to anything you want, EXCEPT Rap, which should be banned!!

What about happy rap!?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I remember going to the movies to see Rocky IV, I was third in line with an older gentlemen and a young girl in front of me. After the older man got his ticket the girl asked for Rocky IV and the older gentlemen commented "I would think you've never even seen these movies young lady..."

Made me chuckle knowing there are even very young fans of Rocky.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Ok, I am 21 and like you I love rock and roll. I am particularly a Beatles fan. I have not experienced too much of people thinking that I should know nothing of "their' music.

I have experienced a few people not realizing that bands like, The Beatles, pink floyd, lynyrd skynyrd The rolling stones etc... are popular among people our age.

I first picked up my dads old rock albums when i was 13 and I have not put them down since...

I am usually able to surprise a few older people with the level of my music knowledge. They are surprised to find out that I usually know more than the people who were around when the music was brand new!

Botton line, It doesnt bother me all that much to have people question why I am into that music, because it gives me a chance to show that yes, a person my age can know and enjoy the music just as much as the older people who were around when it was new.

For the record, I hate todays music. It just does not and can not hold a candle to the likes of Buddly Holly,The Beatles or the Stones or The Eagles or Credence Clearwater revival and all the other great bands of the 50's 60's and 70's. Although there are a few bands around now days that I do like, such as The Black Keys. I used to like the White stripes but IMO there sound has changed from original to commercial.....So there old stuff is good.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join