It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For women; possible items for bartering

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy
reply to post by cnichols

Still working on the best smelling candle I can make.

Try using some of your favorite perfume.

I make great sand candles, and they're really quite cheap and easy.

Fill a cardboard box about 3/4 th of the way full with CLEAN sand (prevents sand fleas), take an empty plastic bowl (cereal, butter, etc.), push the bowl down in sand to create a hollow area, and fill it with melted parafin wax. Next, tie the wick you made from repeatedly dipping normal string in the melted wax until it has several coats of wax (do this before pouring wax into sand depression), to a stick that will lie across the top of the box (with the wick extending well down into the bottom of the depression). Allow the wax to cool and harden, cut the wick to desired length, and then dig it out of the sand.

You will have a nice LONG LASTING candle. I've had the wick last for several years. The candle will also last for several years, provided that it is not spilled while it is still melted after a use.

I have also been known to use my finger to create legs for the candles, and if spaced correctly, will be quite stable.

Another feature I've been known to add is glitter to the sand and mixing it in well before pouring the wax. This will make a beautiful candle.

I've also sometimes added pieces of broken crayons to the wax while melting it, and you can make just about any color you would wish for. You can also make swirled colors with this method.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by ShadowEyes]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowEyes

I can't wait to try this method! Sounds a lot easier than using jars and such, plus much more interesting and beautiful.

I'll let you know how it goes for me. I have saved old and partially burned candles for a few years now just for his purpose. I saved all of my favorites, and now they will come in handy for this project.

Thanks!
FMF

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Actually, makeup might not be so far fetched as you think.

If society ends up going back to basics, huts and farming and hunting. So it coupling rituals.

And if you want to get that young guy who can take down a deer with his bare hands, your gonna wanna look your best.

All through history both men and women have adorned themselves to be attractive. Makeup is used to enhance features, or hide discrepencies.

The reason red lips are seen as sexy is because the red"inflamed" lips resembles another area that when aroused, is red and plump. It is a play on symbolic sexuality.

Large bright eyes are seen as healthy. Full eyelashes are reminescent of youth.

After a period of time, makeup can be viewed as only owned by the wealthy.

Psychologically, a woman who feels she looks better also feels better. It is a rumor that is not confirmed yet that lipstick sales go up during hard economic times, a slight attempt at making oneself feel better during the situation.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I haven't peeked over here in awhile since my last post, but saw yours and think you have some very valid points.

Even if there are women who choose not to use traditional "cosmetics" there are ways that most women use to feel and look good about themselves. Chapstik, powder, aromatherapy fragrances, candles, whatever. They have all been there since the beginning of time and I think will still be there when times are very tough.

thanks!
FMF

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I think too many people picture the whole US going Mad Max. I guess that could happen, but it's unlikely to stay that way. Most likely we will have food and water in the long term, but the long term shortages are going to be anything imported. Almost all of our cosmetics are imported and a lot of women are going to want to feel pretty. I don't think all that many women wear lipstick everyday though. I don't. It's nice to have but a stick of eyeliner or tube of mascara is going to look a lot more attractive to me personally. But honestly, I'm more concerned with running out of deodorant or shampoo.

In short, I don't think lipsticks are going to be the hottest barter item. Stock up on things you would use eventually anyway and that way if everything turns out fine, then you won't have wasted anything. I've been stocking up on shampoo and soap and perfume oils. I'm not trading though.

I don't think taking care of one's appearance will make it more likely to get raped. I don't think men who would do that are going to take lipstick into consideration. But I have heard that in hard economic times women who look like models can find work promoting products or events for businesses who are still paying.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I can say that if TSHTF then the last thing on my mind will be makeup.

Food, water, shelter.

Those three together are priority.

For any woman seriously considering TEOTWAWKI then I suggest you get to grips with alternative sanitary products such as the mooncup.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
It occurs to me that I have been remiss in my promise to Agent T and the other guys. I said I'd post herbs for the guys and I did but not on this thread. Oops. Here they are in case anyone is still following this thread.

HERBS FOR MEN

Benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH):
Pumpkin
Bee pollen
Buchu
Couch grass
Chaste tree
Nettle
Pygeum
Horse chestnut
Saw palmetto

Increase athletic performance &/or stamina:
Androstenediol
Angelica (cream applied 1 hour "prior" prevents premature ejaculation)
Inosine
Schisandra
Siberian ginseng
Carnitine

Erectile dysfunction:
DHEA
Arginine
Bee pollen
Chaste tree
Sassafras
Saw palmetto
Yohimbe

Aphrodisiac:
Clary
Nutmeg
Pau D'arco
Damiana
Pybeum
Jambel
Sassafras
Tonka bean
Yohimbe

Treats prostate cancer:
Beta carotene
Nettle

Sperm and Testosterone:
Androstenediol-increases testosterone
Coffee-heavy consumption decreases number of motile sperm.
Gossypol-spermicide
Saw palmetto-increases sperm count
Astragalus-increases sperm motility

Hemorrhoids:
Bilberry
Avens
Beth root
Horse chestnut

Please familiarize yourself with any substance you put in or on your body. Know the correct doses, contraindications, side effects, etc.

The only ones I can see being essential in SHTF scenario would be the contraceptive or extra athletic performance ones but I'm not a guy so maybe the other ones are "must have" for a guy. Hopefully the information will be of some use at some point between now and sit x.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Unfortunately, if worse comes to absolute worst, many women may become barter items themselves. For those wise and strong enough to remain free, it will be that very knowledge and ability that will be their best assets. Looks and niceties will be a very distant second. Same goes for men of course, but then it kind of always has for us.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Exactly! In a Mad Max scenario, being pretty just means you're the first one raped. In an economic collapse where we just drop to the status of a third world country, keeping up appearances as best as possible may mean the difference between keeping a job or not. I suppose that would go for men as well as women.

Avoiding people altogether seems like the wiser course to me. When they are all tired of fighting each other and you don't have to worry so much about being killed for the shoes you're wearing, I might come back out and be willing to barter.

posted on May, 7 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by fullmoonfairy
I am new to starting a new topic but had an idea the other day while at the drugstore. I noticed that most drugstores have a discounted section in the "beauty" isles. Usually they are lipsticks on sale and items like that.

My thoughts were, what if one were to buy up a lot of those now while they are available and keep for a later date? All women, I don't care what you say, want to feel pretty even in times of distress. If one were to have those items "in stock" I thought they would be great things to have around in exchange for other items.

The only thing that might stand inthe way it the expiration date. But if they were unopened I would imagine that they would last for some time. Any thoughtS or other ideas? My aplogies if this has been already addressed!

L,
FMF

actuallyb it is not a bad idea... according to my ladies mum who resides in the UK uring the blitz and all that... the psychological aspects of the ladies was at a very low level until things like nylons and makeup was brought around.... It made for great shifts in morale and would indeed be a good item to have around.... but remember that some of it has a shelf life... what we did was take the items and vaccuum seal them and store them away...we checked on some liquid makeup that we vac sealed 7 years back and it was still good... so it is something to think about

posted on May, 11 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Hello everyone! I would like to share some personal testimony from my husband concerning some of these items. He has been taking pumpkin, yohimbe,and saw palmetto for some time with great results.

A few years ago he started to have some prostate pain and went to have the exam and tests. They were negative, thank God, so he started on saw palmetto after some research. Almost immediately the pain went away! He hasn't had one moment's problem ever since. I would highly recommend it to any men out there; do the research for yourself and decide what is best for you (I'm not a doctor! Just sharing). Great list whitewave!

I myself looked into using rose water and rose oil for. After maybe eight weeks now I have had beautiful results. It is a very gentle, natural way to soothe, soften, and tone the skin. I no longer use my normal Neutrogena toner, (although that might change come summer! ) and spray/dab the rose water on twice a day instead. I've also lightly dabbed the oil on a few old scars, and will wait to see how well that works too. As a bonus, they smell wonderful too! I have looked into purchasing other hydrosols I have been researching, and will report what find. I will say however, my experiment has taken longer than I hoped; worth the effort!

Have a peaceful day!
FMF

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Great to hear, fullmoonfairy. Glad your husband was ok.

Are you using the rose oil once a day and the rose water once a day or do you have some other regime? Keep us posted on the scars results.

I would think women would appreciate toiletries of any sort: toothpaste, hairbrushes, deodorant, etc. I think most women would object to hooking up with a man that looked and smelled like a Yeti, so maybe some toiletries for the men as well. (Mostly the same ones)

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I have so much nailpolish! I'll be fine, then.

But I agree, I think if TSHTF more people will want food and clothing than makeup.

posted on May, 20 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Thank you, Whitewave!
I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you! I use the rosewater in the morning and before I go to bed. I spray it on a cottonball and dab it all over. I have also been spraying on my chest and neck a few times....it is a little pricey, so I use the water sparingly!

As far as the oil goes, that may be something you would use sparingly as well. It is very expensive and I'm a little concerned that it would trigger an outbreak since it is oil. But I will give it a try for the next week or two...

Thanks so much for all of the information you provided...very good list to keep on hand!

Have a peaceful day and stay well!
FMF

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fullmoonfairy

mmm not so much into the expired lipstick, six years opened or unopened they get a lil funky. The middle eastern rouge that can be used for lips eyes cheeks and the eyelining powder that stuff would last a long time. That would be a goldmine Im telling you but not cheap to buy and only a really wealthy person would have such wierd priorities. I think we stick to seeds (houseplants for fresh air.. ) canned goods, dried goods, WATER is a BIG BIG THING, a water filtration unit or units... Air filters you name it. Good idea with the makeup but when sht hits the fan I dont care to waste my rescources.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join