It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stocks Surge; DJIA Has Biggest Gain Since November

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Santa claus? I think more in the line with Santa bail out from the tax payer.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Crakeur has the most interesting reply yet. His thoughts bear reading again if you skimmed past it, and if you're familiar with some of the Madoff discusions in other places on ATS you should check them out too.

We've been due for a rally for a while now. We'll see if it's real and sustainable soon enough I imagine. I'd prefer to see a short-medium term rally followed by a retest, but not breach of the low, at least on a technical bottom/support basis. Still too much hidden/unvaluable stuff in the system for me to give up the overall bearish view I have of the markets currently. I don't personally think we'll see any real sustainable recovery until we have a few more people in jail under indictment.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Don't feel burn up my friend, just take into consideration what is going on in this nation right now, this rally is not for the benefit of the American people.

We are just the piper puppet.

GDP down, unemployment at highest, productivity low, millions of foreclose, yes this rally has nothing to benefit main street America.
]

Really, Americans don't benefit? Who do you think owns stocks and has retirement accounts?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

And when unemployment reaches a new low come back to me and then talk to me about it.

Meanwhile is nothing in the Markets right now providing any help to American tax payer at all.

For the contrary American tax payer while still losing their jobs has been forced to bail out Wal-street.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I am going to wait till early next week and see what happen before getting back into the market,

I am glad i got out back when oil started to drop before everything went to ****.

Something just told me to.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

There is no plea deal. That either was a rumor or was thrown out.

Assistant US Attorney Marc Litt said there was no plea deal and that Madoff could be exposed to the maximum penalty under sentencing guidelines: 150 years.

Chin said he would not sentence Madoff on Thursday, and he would limit investors who want to speak at the hearing to those challenging whether the plea should be accepted or whether Madoff should be allowed to remain on bail pending sentencing.

"There is no plea bargain here. Those victims who objected to a plea bargain no longer have a reason to object," Chin said.
He is going to spend the rest of his life in prison. Not really sure what kind of plea deal you all think he made, but dying in prison sure doesnt sound like a good deal to me. If he actually had any info, he would get a much better deal then that.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tide88

Not a chance he is going to prison. With $7 or so billion, he'll figure out a way to avoid it, or leave the country. Not many people his age get sent to prison, anyway- at least not for white-collar crimes.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
Crakeur has the most interesting reply yet. His thoughts bear reading again if you skimmed past it, and if you're familiar with some of the Madoff discusions in other places on ATS you should check them out too.

We've been due for a rally for a while now. We'll see if it's real and sustainable soon enough I imagine. I'd prefer to see a short-medium term rally followed by a retest, but not breach of the low, at least on a technical bottom/support basis. Still too much hidden/unvaluable stuff in the system for me to give up the overall bearish view I have of the markets currently. I don't personally think we'll see any real sustainable recovery until we have a few more people in jail under indictment.

We had huge volume today which is key and Asian markets are up 3-4% as I last checked.. Im thinking we see 8000 before 6500 IMHO

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by guinnessford
kinda like what we were saying in another thread. once it hits extremely low points all the people that have cash in mason jars come out of the woodwork and buy stuff thats dirt cheap.

Yes, but the same exact occurrence took place in 1931, then the Market Re-Crashed with a vengeance, and all of the Wealthy Investors lost EVERYTHING.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by jefwane

one up day does not a rally make.

there are way too many lingering factors and there are so many wild cards unresolved. We'll bounce up and down for a while is what I'm thinking. same dopes who claimed bullish today will be bearish in on thursday.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Who understands the market?

Was this an attempt to make the shorts cover?

Anyone care to explain how this rally affected

the millions of shorts?

[edit on 10-3-2009 by TH3ON3]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

That's all we can do is take a wait and see approach. I'm a tad skeptical. I'm sorry but with the recent chaos it's hard not to be a bit Gun shy

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by jefwane

one up day does not a rally make.

there are way too many lingering factors and there are so many wild cards unresolved. We'll bounce up and down for a while is what I'm thinking. same dopes who claimed bullish today will be bearish in on thursday.

Watch it drop and loose all that was gained and then some.
I remember reading that we have been in a recession since 07 but that nobody noticed and now this.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
We're all saved!!

14,000 dow...HERE WE COME!!

I'm waiting for the big bear rally that many people seem to think will happen before it all collapses.

We'll see.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
this is pure market manipulation at its best and the average person hasn't figured it out yet.

this was a one day hiccup sorry to say. tomorrow the markets will be down again (small hit 50 points or less.) Thursday the markets will be down even more (big hit around 200 points.) Friday is still up in the air. but more than likely will be another down day.

Its to early for a rally to get the markets going again the corrupt handlers haven't gotten all the money yet.

reply to post by Crakeur

your assuming he'll be alive on Thursday to receive his plea deal.

But i thought there wasn't going to be a deal? I could have sworn i heard he wasn't getting a deal on the news earlier.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

It is just another short term gain in the long term downward spiral of a severe bear market.

The news of reinstating the uptick rule is a big reason for today's rally. That will tapper off soon enough though, and should the uptick rule end up NOT getting reinstated, expect an even bigger downturn.

They said the uptick rule should be back in place within the month. That gives some time for some recovery/small set backs. In the long term though, the current situation has not changed much, make no mistake about that.

The doom and gloom of yesterday still rings as true as a threat today, and will tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevegmu
reply to post by tide88

Not a chance he is going to prison. With $7 or so billion, he'll figure out a way to avoid it, or leave the country. Not many people his age get sent to prison, anyway- at least not for white-collar crimes.

That is an incorrect statement. A friend of mines father was on e of the first people who did this about 15 years ago. Stole over a hundred million. He went to prison and currently still resides there. Madoff is going away forever.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
We're all saved!!

14,000 dow...HERE WE COME!!

I'm waiting for the big bear rally that many people seem to think will happen before it all collapses.

We'll see.

I dont think it all is going to collapse like you do, however this in no way is the turn around. It is a small bear rally and the market will once again fall. The question is was 6500 the bottom. It very well might have been, then again, maybe not.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAgentNineteen

Originally posted by guinnessford
kinda like what we were saying in another thread. once it hits extremely low points all the people that have cash in mason jars come out of the woodwork and buy stuff thats dirt cheap.

Yes, but the same exact occurrence took place in 1931, then the Market Re-Crashed with a vengeance, and all of the Wealthy Investors lost EVERYTHING.
Awesome! ill be looking forward to seeing em all in the bread lines!
Anyone else with me on that one?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
i was looking at the dow from 1920 to 1940.. i counted SEVERAL of these little upticks (or dead cat bounces if you will) on the way to the bottom.

check it out. it never just goes straight up or straight down.
dont get too excited yet.
stockcharts.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join