It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Return of the IRA?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
So two attacks in as many days, by two factions, splinter groups.

Targeting soldiers, police and civilians. A vacuum of shock has erupted all across the Uk and Ireland as people of all beliefs and classes recoil at the sudden eruption of violence that has suddenly torn the peace process.

So I ask as an ignorant person.

Please fill me in on the details. Who are the groups (I imagine disaffected youths carrying their grandfathers old wartales)?

Why now? Is it because everything else is erupting on a global scale or has something occured?

Thanks in advance

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

MI5/MI6/SAS.

Don't believe the bull that the media is spewing, this is an attempt to gain support for the re-militarization of NI by the Army. Why would the base guards not fire upon the threat as they are trained to do? Why would they not fire upon the threat when it returned to rake the injured with more bullets? Because we are not being told the whole story.

Plain and simple. It was an inside job, just like it always is.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mkiii

Because ROE don't allow it I'd imagine.

Don't believe everything that goes on in your head.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
It's a proper crap fling by the media arm of the UK government.

Ireland has two things that both can trigger the proverbial false flag job in these times:

1) Successfully resisted the globalists push for EU ratification and exposed the bullcrap for what it was all while sticking up their middle finger at the globalists in the most public forums...

2) Have some of the smartest minds on the planet that are about to KILL the oil industry. Steorn / Orbo is seeming more and more like the real deal.

I can hear them say:
'Ireland is about to change the world and must be stopped before people realize how LITTLE they "need us".'

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Wow Delta9,

So you are telling me that the ROE for armed guards at a military installation do not allow them to engage active and hostile threats who are shooting base personnel at the gate?
I guess they must have changed something in the past few years.

Don't let that one get out to the terrorists. They'll have a field day with it.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
hello everyone. I have been a member of this forum for sometime and enjoy reading the various articles, but it is the first time I have posted. I am posting a reply as I live in Northern Ireland and it is very dear to me. the conflict here has always been between Nationalists/Republicans (who seek unification between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland) and Loyalists/Unionists who wish Northern Ireland to remain part of the Union of the United Kingdom. There is much more to this history, but this is the guts of matter.

The peace process brought much calm and understanding between the various political groups and paramilitary groups. However, there are those who are still republicans seeking re-unification with the Republic of Ireland who are intent on bringing an end to the peace process and our 'young' government.

In response to government collusion! This has always been an issue where the government colluded with both republicans and loyalists. Both of the terrible attacks that have occurred happened so quickly nobody could have defended quick enough. What everybody has to remember is the victims of these crimes were serving their country (the two soldiers killed were heading to Afghanistan). Collusion was not an issue here. The last thing we want in this country is a return to violence.

Today (11th Mar) at 1:00pm there will be protests held in several cities in Northern Ireland to express the unity of the people of Northern Ireland. I do not know what your personal views are, but please remember we are doing this to say NO to terrorism.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I too live in Ireland and this is my opinion on whats happened.

All deaths are deeply regretable but as Ireland history shows while there are british forces on our land of Ireland there will never be peace.

After ten years of peace there was no cause for british forces of occupation to remain in the north - while what the RIRA did was terrible, the actions of the british government to have occupational forces still remain in the land of Ireland has to be questioned also.

I have not once seen this issue brought up on this forum or on the media in general.

Why in a time of peace were british colonial forces still on the Island of Ireland. The peace process did not require or need them.

Shame on RIRA for what they did but more shame upon the british government for stationing forces of occupation to remain in the north where they was no reason. If the british continue to offer provocation through the stationing of british armed forces on the island of Ireland it will inevitably provoke an armed response as it has throughout the history of Ireland.

Many proponents of the armed struggle would have been told to give the peace process a chance and they did. Many of them have since become frustrated after ten years of peace to see british bases still on the island of Ireland - in many eyes this would have been seen as a failure of the peace process.

I'm not condoning the deaths of the british soliders and I feel for their familes but I think equal blame should be attributed to the britsh government as it has been to RIRA.

If you continue to wave a red flag at a bull it will eventually attack.

True peace in Ireland will be achieved through a full british withdrawal. This would allow the Northern government to rule itself and eventually lead to a united Ireland.

Remember this violence has happened before and will again - if we do not learn from our history we shall repeat the mistakes of the past in the future.

Some quotes from the past to prove my point.

They think they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think they have foreseen everything, think that they provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! - they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace". - Padraig Pearse, in oration at funeral in Glasnevin of Fenian Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa, August 1, 1915.

The british govt has no right in Ireland, never had any right in Ireland ,never can have any right in Ireland " James Connolly 1916

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
mkiii,

I have no idea (ROEs are secret) but I would imagine they would be even more strict than in the 'Ghan- where you can't even shoot the Jihadis/Taliban if they're "retreating."

Furthermore, I'm not even sure the guards were military. Remember that a lot of bases around the world now employ civilian security guards to guard the outside of bases.

The idea the government itself performed the attacks is laughable, however.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by DeltaNine]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Irish Canadian . Give Ireland back to the Irish

Orange and Green can live without the British

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
A lot of other people that I talk to about this issue to Immediately jump to the whole Unified Ireland Get the British out argument but what they fail to realise is that there are quite of a lot of people in the north that want to remain part of the united kingdom, if Northern Ireland was returned to the Republic, and I'm not saying I wouldnt be glad for a unified Ireland I'm just saying that those who want to remain part of the UK would rise up, probably violently and we'd see the start of the troubles all over again, bombs and the like from the extremist of the other side this time.

It wouldnt work unless they held a full vote of whole of the population living in northern Ireland and got 100% Yes, even a small group of extremist terrorists with a couple of bombs can devastate lives....

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
This argument about British forces in Northern Ireland is one that Nationalists keeps on rumbling on and on about. The Republic of Ireland somehow has the right to have its own army (although the ROI is 'questionably' NEUTRAL). We in Northern Ireland also have the right to have an army, an army that can defend us against republican terrorists who cause such atrocities like we have seen over the past number of days.

In the early days of the troubles (early 70's) when Loyalist attacks were high, nationalists/republicans were on the streets pleading for help from the army. And the army came and defended those areas. The locals in nationalist areas would provide soldiers with food and drink, thing were okay. It wasn't long before the soldiers found rat poison in their tea and broken glass in their sandwiches.

A united Ireland is a long way off (if not impossible given the amendments made to the constitutional agreement), and if there are people who still want to cause murder and mayhem then I will always support the PSNI and the Army who have a very difficult job to do to keep ALL citizens safe.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
It has got absolutely NAFF all do do with the British Army in gaining peace in Ireland, NONE!!!

As has been mentioned above, it will take Irelands Population as a whole to come forward and make it " All Ireland Again "

And to think that Ireland has been going through a peace process in the last 10 years is being deluded. The war is still going on and will continue to do so until the Youth of today are educated enough to realise that the war they are fighting is, well, just plain wrong.

There will always be hate and anger in Ireland as far as religion is concerned. The youth's on both sides are being educated by there parents and what not to go out and fight and defend there country. Obviously im not talking about ALL youth's, just the ones that appear to live in Nationalist/Republican area's. Its THESE youth's that are keeping the fighting alive, thus preventing any kind of PEACE in Ireland.

Its these Youth's and there " Teacher Parents " that need educated and shown a new way of life, a life other than that of Hatred and cruelty to another person over a simple piece of land.

Ireland, the Emerald Isle.........Northern Ireland, the Paranoid Country.........will it ever unite?

Peace

IP

[edit on 12-3-2009 by InfoProvider]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by june3rd

What a load of rubbish - there is no such thing as a Northern Irish person - they don't exist - they are either Irish or scotch - The scotch are scottish lowlander settlers who planted Ireland to breed the Irish out under a cunning plan developed by the English royalty back in the day.

By the way the scotch settlers already have several terrorist armies (UDA, UVF, LVF, Red Hand Commandos etc) - not one of which has fully decommissioned in ten years of peace - just like the British army hasn't decommissioned.

If the scotch settlers were truly interested in peace they would have asked the scotch terrorist armies to decommission but they didn't. They would also have asked the British army to leave so they could allow the northern enclave of Ireland to self govern with their Irish compatriots but they didn't

Also how can you expect Irish people to trust the British Army who colluded with scotch terrorist organisations to shoot them, who had paratroopers massacre civilians (Bloody Sunday) and who also were involved in bombing the south (Dublin and Monaghan)

Leave the policing to the police force (PSNI) get the British army out and live in the real world if you want peace.

Paranoid unionists all over the place is what has kept the war going for so long.

The Irish North or South don't have any interest in killing you, repatriation or converting your religion - that has never been the agenda and never will be. All we would like is our country back, the settlers are welcome to stay and play their part in a new multi cultural Ireland. For example there are almost as many Poles, Africans and Chinese living in Ireland now as there are scotch settlers and the Irish don't treat them badly in any way. They are full citizens with full rights who stay out of their own free will.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by count66

we can talk about the future all we like, until we forget the awful past i.e. back in the day, thats all it ever will be....TALK!!
Easier said than done eh???

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by count66

First of all, I would like to point out that 'Scotch' is an alcoholic spirit. 'The Scots' or 'The Scottish' are the people of Scotland. To say that the Loyalist paramilitaries are Scottish is rubbish. They are loyal to the crown, it just so happens that there is support for their cause in Scotland (and for the Republicans I might add).

Just one question. Why should the British Army decommission? It is the same army that is fighting in Afghanistan, and defending victims of persecution, torture, genocide and ethnic cleansing etc..

Also just one final observation. You talk of the Scottish settlers. It is true that Ireland is an island, right. So who exactly do you think the indigenous people are. Come on, the people of Ireland are a mix of British (Scots, English and Welsh) and Europeans (Vikings and Normans). Sometimes we have to ask ourselves just how much of our history we want to remember. I myself live in a part of Northern Ireland that has deep Ulster Scots history, however my family history stretches to the Republic of Ireland. I am not afraid or ashamed to admit it even though I identify myself as being British.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by count66

What a load of rubbish - there is no such thing as a Northern Irish person - they don't exist - they are either Irish or scotch - The scotch are scottish lowlander settlers who planted Ireland to breed the Irish out under a cunning plan developed by the English royalty back in the day.

Im a Northern Irish Person, at least thats what the British Goverment would have me believe by giving me a British Passport. If Ireland is divided into 2 countrty's......Northern Ireland and The Republic of Ireland then a person living in Northern Ireland can claim they are a " Northern Irish Person ". Though this is argueable because alot of Northern Irish people claim to be part of Northern Ireland with " SOME " rules from the British Monarchy. Not every LAW on the mainland makes it over to Northern Ireland so its easy to see that some people of the North claim Northern Ireland to be a country on its own.

Having said that, although i was born and raised in Northern Ireland all my life [ 36 years ] i dont consider my self British......at all, only my passport tells otherwise. Im Irish, have Irish Blood, my family are ALL Irish so therefor...........Im Irish. Just because i live in a country of British rule does not change my Irish roots, Irish Blood and Irish Beliefs.

To put it in laymans terms............In my eye's the emerald isle is called Ireland, both North and South, there is no Northern Ireland, Its Ireland and thats that!!!!!

By the way the scotch settlers already have several terrorist armies (UDA, UVF, LVF, Red Hand Commandos etc) - not one of which has fully decommissioned in ten years of peace - just like the British army hasn't decommissioned.

Scottish blood perhaps but certainly not ALL Scotish. Dont forget that as the Scottish settlers were making there first steps on Irish soil [ Ballycaslte ] the Irish were ALSO making there 1st steps on Scottish soil. In no way does your statement above make sense with Sottish/Irish history. The Scottish were NOT sent over to Ireland by anyone but themselves seeking a new way of life, or as we humans are bred to do and thats explore the unknown.

If the scotch settlers were truly interested in peace they would have asked the scotch terrorist armies to decommission but they didn't. They would also have asked the British army to leave so they could allow the northern enclave of Ireland to self govern with their Irish compatriots but they didn't

What Scottish Terrorist's? Are you talking about the UVF/UDA etc etc who are of Scottish/Irish blood and then therefore British under British rule and law?

Also how can you expect Irish people to trust the British Army who colluded with scotch terrorist organisations to shoot them, who had paratroopers massacre civilians (Bloody Sunday) and who also were involved in bombing the south (Dublin and Monaghan)

oh dear lord!!

Leave the policing to the police force (PSNI) get the British army out and live in the real world if you want peace.

Have you walked the streets of Belfast? Have you walked up and down the Shankill and Falls roads? Who do you think Policess these community's, the police? I think you'll find the Paramilitry organisations police there OWN community's.

Paranoid unionists all over the place is what has kept the war going for so long.

Sorry but your wrong. Its nothing to do with Unionists or any other goverment type people. As i have stated above, its cause comes from the YOUTH of today!!

For example there are almost as many Poles, Africans and Chinese living in Ireland now as there are scotch settlers and the Irish don't treat them badly in any way. They are full citizens with full rights who stay out of their own free will.

What? Were are you getting this info from? At the top of your post your claiming that the Scots came to Ireland and bred with the Irish to wipe them out. If thats the case then what your saying is Ireland is primarely dominated by SCOTTISH people? If that is so, then if i was to walk the streets of Ireland i would see more Chinese/Pols etc on the streets? And Africans? Were on earth did you come to these conclusions?

There's no denying the fact that Ireland is a country with Scottish and Irish connections. However, claiming there are more Chinese/Polish and Africans dominating the country is, well, being very deluded and not getting out of the house much, certainly not enough to see what the hell is around you!!

So, the question the OP is asking............Is this the return of the IRA?

Personally i believe the IRA never went away, but merely went quiet long enough to educate themselves on future plans of bombarding Ireland and the rest of the UK.

As much as i dont like to see Ireland going through this all again, i cant help but wonder how long it will last. Hopefully not very long, for the sake of the Irish people.

What do you guys think, is this a return of the IRA for a long time to come or are they simly just making a stand to show they havent gone away and just doing this to proove a point?

Respect all

IP

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by count66
reply to post by june3rd

The Irish North or South don't have any interest in killing you, repatriation or converting your religion - that has never been the agenda and never will be. All we would like is our country back, the settlers are welcome to stay and play their part in a new multi cultural Ireland. For example there are almost as many Poles, Africans and Chinese living in Ireland now as there are scotch settlers and the Irish don't treat them badly in any way. They are full citizens with full rights who stay out of their own free will.

"Scotch"? Who the hell says "scotch" apart from North Americans?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by june3rd
Also just one final observation. You talk of the Scottish settlers. It is true that Ireland is an island, right. So who exactly do you think the indigenous people are.

What you are saying is technically correct but still just wrong. If you are going to get into that, then you might as well rub out all countries sovereign borders and give it all back to the original African hunter gatherers.

The fact is that the original problems arose and festered because the British wouldn't give back the north when Ireland won its freedom. You know this.. don't bother disputing it.

Come on ffs.. we all know the history and why the troubles started because of prejudice towards Catholics, gerrymandering and mistrust because of the placement of Scottish settlers in the north in order to cheat the democratic system. Thats undeniable fact and ancient history.

While many want a united Ireland and many want to stay in the Union.. the point that Count66 seems to be pushing is:
Why should the Republicans who have given up their arms and settled for a sovereign country in the form of Northern Ireland.. be ridiculed by the continued arming of loyalist groups and the continued occupation of the British army. Whatever about the loyalist groups.. the British forces should have been removed over the past decade.. then this situation may not have happened.

Whatever the arguement.. There is no need for what RIRA are doing now. They are not thinking about the people of NI.. just their own petty causes.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfoProvider
Scottish blood perhaps but certainly not ALL Scotish. Dont forget that as the Scottish settlers were making there first steps on Irish soil [ Ballycaslte ] the Irish were ALSO making there 1st steps on Scottish soil. In no way does your statement above make sense with Sottish/Irish history. The Scottish were NOT sent over to Ireland by anyone but themselves seeking a new way of life, or as we humans are bred to do and thats explore the unknown.

This is one of the things that I genuinely find bizarre about all this. These islands that make up the mainland all other the various islands around it have endured an incredible amount of cross-traffic over thousands of years.

Also, whilst it's difficult to stomach for a lot of 'plastic paddies' and people with a hard-on for some romanticised 2000-year-old technology culture, genetically the people on these islands have more in common with each other than they are different, with the bulk of them coming from Iberia &c. What little difference there actually is between the people on these islands isn't worth killing people over. #ing madness.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Republic of Ireland is no saint.

Ireland allowed Nazi war criminals to settle and sent condolences on hearing Hitler committed suicide. Taoiseach Charles Haughey supplied weapons to the Provisional IRA too.

Garda Síochána na hÉireann had a nonchalant approach to the border, openly allowed members of the IRA to cross back and forth. Secondly, under the Good Friday Agreement, the Irish government recognises Northern Ireland as British territory.

With a United Europe occurring within the next decade, there is no point of a United Ireland. It would merely be symbolic. Plus, due to different social and health facilities, the Republic of Ireland cannot afford reunification.

Irish Canadian . Give Ireland back to the Irish

Give Canada back to the Aboriginal people as well, and the whole of North America too. Hypocrisy, how beautiful.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by infinite]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join