It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Highway robbery? Texas police seize black motorists' cash, cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Highway robbery? Texas police seize black motorists' cash, cars

www.chicagotribune.com

You can drive into this dusty fleck of a town near the Texas-Louisiana border if you're African-American, but you might not be able to drive out of it—at least not with your car, your cash, your jewelry or other valuables.

That's because the police here allegedly have found a way to strip motorists, many of them black, of their property without ever charging them with a crime. Instead they offer out-of-towners a grim choice: voluntarily sign over your belongings to the town, or face felony charges of money laundering or other serious crimes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-3-2009 by baseball101]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
what a crazy town ... i can see why i've never heard of this town before ... it's because no one wants to drive through it ... what would motivate them to allow this? at the top of the article it adds an interesting point:

A Texas senator aims to rein in search-and-seizure practices like those used in Tenaha, where scores have been targeted but never charged with any crime.

Just imagine if this went through in Texas? They say that they're not motivated to get more money ... but i beg to differ ... thoughts?

www.chicagotribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The seizure law is a great law when used PROPERLY! This looks to me that it could and will backfire on this small town and they are going to wish they didn't push their luck so much. They looked to have really bit off WAY more then they can chew!

EDIT TO ADD: When we seize stuff from criminals there is a TON of paperwork and steps to do so, you don't just take it..lol

[edit on 3/10/2009 by rcwj75]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
That town wouln't happen to be Vidor, TX would it?

Yea this type of stuff really chaps my hide........its never ending it seems

[edit on 10-3-2009 by 38181]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 38181

no it's happening in a town by the name of TENAHA, Texas

why has it happened there as well?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
They have been doing this in quit a few U.S towns.
On one town in the Midwest it made the news a year or so back.
While checking the only people who lost there cars and money where the poor who could not afford a lawyer!

Has it stopped anything? No in fact all has carried on just about normal. But what it has done is give another way for a City or state government to get cash that it badly needs.
To me this is just one more nail in what is going to start a war in this country!
When one cannot trust the government to do what is right then they the people will not trust law enforcement.

They make them sign over all the belongings , and then let them go. Now wait, if they did a crime then they where able to pay there way Out! This is just another scam that has been thought up while using the Drug laws to shake down the people of this country. And if you do not pay up then we will put you in jail.
Does this sound like justice to you?
Not long ago on this site there was a video of police robing a store and planting evidence to make it look like they have done a crime.
A 90 some year old lady was shot and then setup to look like a dealer in Atlanta Ga. The list goes on, I for one now do not trust any officer that comes up to me or anyone in my family. I will not tell them anything till I have had the chance to speak to a lawyer.
And this is not good to have to feel this way, and I know that not all officers do this. But I do not know who I can and cannot trust .

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
The same thing was going on in West Memphis, AR a few years ago. Only they didn't target blacks. They were supposedly trying to cut down on drug traffic tthrough the I-40-I-55 corridor.
They were pulling people over for minor traffic infractions, then searching vehicles. Since almost every peice of paper money in your possession probably has been in contact with drugs, they were getting hits, this confiscating the cash.
It all blew up when a guy who was driving across country to purchase a used corvette has over $10,000 confiscated. (He had it hidden under his back seat.) This guy decided not to roll over and play dead. It got an investigation launched, and while there were some legitimate busts, it turned out that not all the money was getting turned in every time. And a lot of innocent people were just plain ripped off.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It's all fair when its happening to someone else huh??

I was recently stopped at the American / Canadian border and told to return to Canada...... WITHOUT my truck.

Got a bill from Honda for the balance of the loan become the border gave my truck to a wrecker service and they sold it an ABANDONED Vehicle.

There is no justice for poor /working class people because it costs to much to fight a system designed to win.

And before you think it, there was no ILLEGAL drugs or anything like that, aside from me not having proper paperwork for me living in the US for the last 26 years.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by svpwizard]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
S and F to the op.

This post provides further proof to a thread I posted where the Mexican government claimed that the US was also a corrupt nation.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Happens in all small towms to all people of race.

Not trying to turn this into a drug thread just stating a personnel experiance.

When I was a teen I would get pulled over by a deputy every Saturday night and he would always find my stash, didn't matter how well hidden it was and he would take it and smoke it himself. How do I know this you might ask? Well every so often he would smoke a bowl with me and take the rest and if I had a cd he might like, that would go along with him.

What am I going to say? I can't turn him in, I would get into trouble, no 16 year old wants that. Luckily when around my 17th I stopped with the illegals(thats the lucky part) and the last time he pulled me over he tore my truck apart trying to find it, when he couldn't he wrote me a bogus ticket for going 70 in a 35 and took all my cds (thats the unlucky part).

It happens, nothing is going to change that, not in a small town anyways.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I live in East Texas and it isn't just minority people that gets hassled, but they do take more hassles from the Law enforcement yahoos. I had one hell of a bad week one afternoon on U.S. 59 outside of Henderson because a rookie deputy claimed that he smelled marijuana...... They wrecked the wiring under the dash of my car, ran a dog all through it crawled under it and had me standing on the side of the road in the intense heat for over two hours...... All I was doing to get pulled over was driving the speed limit and using my turn signals for lane changes and a turn. That is deemed to be suspicious behavior in East Texas..... This is why I like to go to Mexico to relax and enjoy my self.... I feel safer there and though I don't speak the language, I find that the people are easier to communicate with.

posted on Mar, 17 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by baseball101

soon as I read this, I figured it had to be east Texas. Sheriff out there was recently convicted of falsifying reports and evidence to get dozens of blacks and Mexican-Americans charged with drug offenses.

If you drive through the "piney woods," you'd better be slow and white.

Grand Dragon used to live in Vidor. (home of George Jones)

jw

new topics

top topics

join