It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The American Dream is OVER

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 04:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
I'm sorry to disagree with you, my friend. However, so long as there are still dreamers inside this great nation, the American dream will continue to live on. I refuse to accept that it is over, which is the reason I continue to fight against those who try to crush it. My only desire and my only dream is that my children will always be able to wake up from their big dreams and recognize that the abillity to reach whatever they dreamt about is in their reach.

Well this doesn't make any sense, if this kind of mentality is the one kids are following in America, then i guess it will actually be over soon.

Do you want to keep dreaming or not? you want your kids to wake up from their big dreams? so you want them to fail and instead turn to a lesser reality than the one they were dreaming to live on? and then you say the once they are awake, you want them to know the ability to reach whatever they dream is in their reach, which makes still less sense than your other sentence.

What i can see from most responses here is that nobody even knows what the "dream" part in "American dream" actually means, or what having a dream is all about, American dream or whatever else you are, people don't get what dreaming is all about anymore, it just sounds cool to say it.

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
"it came through"

Man, it was more on the line of "It came true"

And there on that sentence by the comedian, is what everybody seems to be missing here.

A dream is only a dream until it turns real life, then you are not dreaming anymore, it has come true, until then, it was only a dream, not real.

A dream can come true, or not, but until one of those things happen, it will be a dream, nothing more, you can work on making a dream come true, but you need to actually go and do it real, not just say, oh i have a dream, let's wait until it turns true, because you will wake up and realize it was only a dream, and you are not rich, beautiful and with good luck, that was the dream, you didn't work hard to make it true, so it didn't happen.

Get it?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by Rigel

How much of that will continue if/when the government is bankrupt?

Think about it.

Don't worry Dude... Europe will just Bail the USA out...

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Rigel

I don't know about that, today the US was insisting in having the UK fall for another stimulus bail out and it seems that the UK and European banks do not want to do it.

That will be the main subject of the Secretary of state on next weeks summit.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
You know, i'm on the fence about ppls attitude towards the current situation.

One one side, as a Non-American, you almost feel that if you hear the words "American Dream" once more you will vomit in disgust. No matter how bad it gets, you keep on waving that flag, chin high, proud as #ing peacocks, oblivious to how #ty things really are. But on the other hand, you gotta respect the hell out of the spirit that must take to pull off, hopefully the cliches' are true and America will always pull through.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The American dream died the moment we began to believe that we were innately great. See, the original signers of the document understood that what they created demanded vigilance and discipline to maintain. However, people began to say things like, "greatest country on earth", and this is where we lost our way. That statement is as true as a sports team saying, "we're the greatest team on earth". The moment they begin to believe that they are, by birthright, the best team on earth, is the moment they lose their edge. You have to practice, develop new plays, stay fresh and relevant. We did not.

We allowed ourselves to be deluded. "God blessed this great nation", what does this even mean? Just like your local sports team praying for a win.

When did the American dream become all about consumerism, decadence and over indulgence? I don't think that is what it was supposed to be about. I think it was supposed to be primarily about personal freedom and the right to pursue your own life without government intervention. When exactly that got changed into our current concept of the American dream, I don't know.

Free market capitalism is simply an economic system, not a guarantee of wealth for all nor is it a religion. It is simply the most fair way of doing business. But when big businesses are able to gain favor with government, it ceases to be free market. What you have now is nobility. A group of people who are not allowed to fail, guaranteed contracts, guaranteed positions, guaranteed life of comfort. If you do not wish for an end to this system then you truly do not understand what free market is.

Questioning our government and holding them accountable is a tradition in this country. There were those that questioned the Declaration of independence. We have always had the ability to question the wisdom of our leaders decisions. The fact that so many people now consider it unpatriotic to have grave doubts and reservations about what we are doing at home and around the world is telling about the state of our union. So many people now adhere to one political party or ideology and seem not to care about the ramifications such an adherence has on their ability to think objectively about what is truly best for the American people.

We need to stop thinking about ourselves as the crown princes of the world and start thinking of ourselves and our country as just another struggling entity. We need to realize that no one is guaranteed endless success without endless hard work, discipline and diligence. Inheritance is a curse, hunger is a blessing.

The son of a rich man is a nobleman. The son of a nobleman is a poor man.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hammanderr

Abe Lincoln just stood up out of his grave and saluted you.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Pause...Great Topic!

While the idea of the American Dream means differernt things to different people, I believe the central ideal of it did originate with The Founding Fathers..."life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness". In my opinion that is what the American Dream is all about. While it may have represented an opportunity to immigrants to achieve a quality of life to available elsewhere there is no seperating the freedom to pursue from the ability to earn. Show me a place where men can amass wealth and remain in captivity? It does not exist.

So while the dream maybe diminished...I think that as long as there are citizens willing to fight for the freedoms that made this Nation what is is...we still have a chance of keeping the dream alive.

But that is easier said than done. It sounds romantic does it not?
"The American Dream"

The men who wrote the Declaration of Independence were fighters.
They were willing to die fighting to be free! Question is...are we?

S&F!

"We must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"To contract new debts is not the way to pay for old ones," ~ George Washington

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkeye1717

The truth hurts.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I suspect that the USA has just spread itself too thin in it's ongoing attempts to be the World's Policeman. All these consecutive/concurrent Wars have taken their toll as the US has had to spend more and more, on Military Superiority over perceived enemy's abroad and on borrowed money from China etc. It was in a far better financial position years ago when it was a major manufacturing producer of quality cars, goods and machine tools, and just let the rest of the world Police itself.

Also, in those days Americans had a hard work ethic, and a desire to provide a better life for their families than the one that they had themselves.

IMHO, drugs for one changed all that, as it provided instant escapism from the dismal reality that slowly faced them. I personally see an American future where vast amounts of really wealthy Chinese people will buy up homes and businesses in the US at bargain basement rates,and rent them back to the homeless and employ the unemployed, who will be only to glad to accept whatever rents and pay rates are offered.

Sadly, the conclusion I have reached is that America, with it's short sighted and instant gratification culture will have to give way to the Chinese more long term view of world progression. " Blade Runner "comes to mind somehow.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Well I had to mosey on back here and add a little to my last post.
I am very sad about it, I think the America as we knew it is gone.
I dare say we have a sliver of a chance...to remain a sovereign nation...but after seeing so much in the last 3 weeks...

The end of an era...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join