It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Show By Example

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
In my youth, he was my closest friend. Some people dismissed him as moody, sullen, and crazy. But that wasn't really the case. He was always thinking on a different level from the rest of us. I understood that, even back then.

The last day of his life, he came over to my house. It was late afternoon. The sun was setting, and we stood on my porch.

"I have found it!" he said simply. "And it was so easy. It is -- the answer -- to all my questions. So simple and obvious an answer! I can't imagine how I didn't see it earlier."

I humored him. "You mean the answer to the meaning of life?"

"Exactly!" He took me aside, speaking in a whisper, like we were conspirators. "So many mysteries, all revealed in a single moment. The full answer came instantly. It was like a shadow lifting from my soul. Incredible!"

"And what is this answer? Can you tell me? Or will you keep it to yourself?"

"Oh", he said. "I could tell you. It would take too many words. And you would need to ponder these words for some time before they made sense. And perhaps, unfortunately, no sense would ever actually come. That is the nature of the answer. You can see it clearly, but you have to study it. It exists like an optical illusion that shifts your perspective. I could explain with words, but I don’t think you would really get it."

"So there is no hope for me?" I asked wryly.

He was quite serious. "You are my friend," he told me. "I've come over to share this with you. I want you to know the answer, and to understand it fully, as I do. But I can't explain it. I have to show you."

The gun appeared in his hand. Before I could react, he raised it directly to the side of his head and pulled the trigger.

This all occurred nearly 50 years ago. Not one day has passed where that horrific image of gore, and the self-destruction of my friend, has failed to haunt me.

Over the long years, I've looked at what happened from every angle. And today, remarkably, I found a new, unexplored viewpoint.

Just today, I experienced that strange and spooky perspective shift, which my friend talked about all those years ago. And in an instant – it became crystal clear. It was so obvious! It was like a shadow lifting from me. It was the clear explanation of all mysteries. It was the answer to all questions.

My friend was absolutely right. I could try explaining it to you. But it would take too many words.

Instead, I've got to show you.

I pass this message on to whoever first finds my body: Consider what you see here. Look deeply, and beyond the blood and gore you see here. Ponder what has happened; this is much more than what it appears to be.

Seek understanding through my example.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Axial Leader

Just a weird story. I ask you -- what was the answer, really? I can't explain it to you, and I am not about to show you. You just have to guess

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Goodbye ! Have a nice afterlife !

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Ok.
That is not the meaning of life.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pandorashope
Ok. That is not the meaning of life.

Unlike my previous story, there is absolutely nothing funny about this one. It is very dark and depressing, not withstanding the smiley face I added as a postscript (to try to cool things down.).

I am sure it generates a lot of negative Karma, and it can drop down to the bottom of this forum forever as far as I am concerned.

If there is anything positive about this story, I hope it gives some comfort to people by suggesting that it is impossible for us to fully interpret and understand the meaning of life, including life's horrors.

Thanks for the comment.

new topics

top topics

join