It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pupils think Auschwitz is a beer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Show me where a large amount of students cant find the USA on a map. I don't want to read about first graders either.

www.nationalgeographic.com...

In 2006, the National Geographic Society interviewed 510 young Americans -- people aged 18 to 24 -- about geography. Interviewers handed people a blank map of the world and asked them to identify various countries. "Nearly all (94 percent) young Americans can find the United States on the world map, and Canada (92 percent) and Mexico (88 percent) are nearly as familiar," the survey found.

Young Americans answer about half (54 percent) of all the survey questions correctly. But by and large, majorities of young adults fail at a range of questions testing their basic geographic literacy.

Only 37% of young Americans can find Iraq on a map—though U.S. troops have been there since 2003.
6 in 10 young Americans don't speak a foreign language fluently.
20% of young Americans think Sudan is in Asia. (It's the largest country in Africa.)
48% of young Americans believe the majority population in India is Muslim. (It's Hindu—by a landslide.)
Half of young Americans can't find New York on a map.

Also lets not forget that Miss Teen USA.

[edit on 3/10/2009 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

point taken ... but still i didn't title the article so don't complain to me

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

www.nationalgeographic.com...

In 2006, the National Geographic Society interviewed 510 young Americans -- people aged 18 to 24 -- about geography. Interviewers handed people a blank map of the world and asked them to identify various countries. "Nearly all (94 percent) young Americans can find the United States on the world map, and Canada (92 percent) and Mexico (88 percent) are nearly as familiar," the survey found.

My math may be off but 94% found the United States. 94% out of 510 is 479. So your "large amount of students" is really only 11 or 6%.

My God that is alarming.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

well most of the U.S. population knows that the slave trade happened ... it's just sad that some kids in the U.K. don't even know what Auschwitz is, let alone what happened there

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

quick google search, point being is well most young Americans aren't as smart as we would like to assume.

But if you REALLY want me to find some info on this and prove this point all I have to do is say watch tonight show on TV and you get your answer.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
My math may be off but 94% found the United States. 94% out of 510 is 479. So your "large amount of students" is really only 11 or 6%.

My God that is alarming.

i gotta say man I didn't learn anything in school other than math really
other than math, I learned nothing in school other than math and memorizing the periodic table

i was always interested in history or geography, i was self-taught in that
as well as biochemistry and astronomy, religions, economy

i learnt nothing from school.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
My grandfathers both fought... watched men they had known for years die, watched innocents perish in blasts, saw deaths in thier thousands so that we could live free of tyranny and oppresion . So that all men could one day be equal. They fought to destroy the greatest evil of the last two centuries. And no one seems to remember...

Lest We Forget

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
reply to post by jd140

quick google search, point being is well most young Americans aren't as smart as we would like to assume.

But if you REALLY want me to find some info on this and prove this point all I have to do is say watch tonight show on TV and you get your answer.

You claim a large amount of our American youth cannot find the United States. I asked you for a source to back up this claim. You gave me a source that stated out of 500 plus students 6% or 11 students couldn't find the US.

Don't make a statement if you cannot back it up and don't try and back it up with a silly article like the one you posted. It only makes you look like one of the 6%.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

One-third of respondents couldn’t pinpoint Louisiana on a map and 48 percent were unable to locate Mississippi.
Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.
Two-thirds didn’t know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.
Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.
While the outsourcing of jobs to India has been a major U.S. business story, 47 percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.
While Israeli-Palestinian strife has been in the news for the entire lives of the respondents, 75 percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.
Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.
Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world. Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

The most interesting thing is that no such study has been done since 2006, so do they really care?

After these alarming stats, no more stats?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
There are certainly many more important things for my 12 and 14 year old kids to learn in 6th and 8th grades. Having Auschwitz crammed into their brains isn't exactly going to matter much in the real world when it's time to get a good job. At what point in time, does a doctor or lawyer or accountant have to use the knowledge of Auschwitz in their jobs?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
this is ludicrous

Nobody talks about settler colonialism or the slave trade and all is good
Ohh but if we don't speak on how a U.S. ally's people were victims then ohh noooooo.

Come on man

That's a pathetic argument. They are not talking about the "Jews" but that History is not being taught to the follow along generations.

If it had happened to Purple Mountaineers from Zimbabwe and nobody was teaching it this American would still be saying the same thing!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by baseball101
reply to post by mr-lizard

point taken ... but still i didn't title the article so don't complain to me

I never said you did. I said The title... Not your title.

I jest. You're right some students are extremely stupid. On the other side of the coin some students are very bright.

I see no point in this thread. I wish to abolish it.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

....only just over a third (37%) knew that the Holocaust claimed the lives of six million Jews, with many drastically under-estimating the death toll.

Wow, that's an interesting turn of phrase..... sort of contrary to the 'spotlight' in the opposite direction of late. I'm not surprised, it is MSM after all.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join