It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myth: Alexandria library contained unknown secrets

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

These scrolls and papyri weren't kept in Alexandria, they were kept by the royal libraries.

Hans: Which were in Alexandria......

Knowledge is never lost.

Hans: Oh? Less than 1% of the written material of the Roman's has come down to us. The amount of orginal written material from 7th century Europe that survived would fit into a small cardboard box ......your conspiracy thinking is causing you to be somewhat unrealistic! When ever a human dies information is lost. Oh and the "elites" have everything huh? So where is all that stored and who, translated, conserved and cataloged it? ....How many thousands of tons would that be by the way......

And, appart from this ... The biblioteque was bulit partly because Egypt had stopped it's export of papyrus to Greece and Asia (Minor) and most of the ME which led to the invention of parchment in the Asian town Pergamon, and several attemts elsewhere to produce liable and lasting writing media, anyway, to do off with all the extra papyrus Egypt produced, most of it ended up in vaults like the Alexandria library in a gigantic national-economical effort to build up power and wealth, knowledge and intelligence -- control.

Hans: Not really parchment was known for centuries before but papyrus was cheaper. The rise of Roman bureaucracy and the establishment of large libraries not only in Alexandria but in Pergamun and many other cities led to a shortage of papyrus. As the shortage developed and the Library at Alexandria expanded. Export from Msir was halted and the use of animal skin expanded as it was now cheaper than rare papyrus.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

These scrolls and papyri weren't kept in Alexandria, they were kept by the royal libraries.

Hans: Which were in Alexandria......

Nope, they were in On or Aun or Heliopolis. Same place, different names. Alexanria Library was merely the storage of the customs police. No ship could leave the ports of Egypt before every book onboard was copied. If they found anything of interrest, it was brought to other storages. Alexanria was politics, On was THE library. Now where are those texts?

[edit on 28/3/2009 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic

Nope, they were in On or Aun or Heliopolis. Same place, different names.

Hans: Your ancient source for that?

Alexanria Library was merely the storage of the customs police.

Hans: Your source for that?

No ship could leave the ports of Egypt before every book onboard was copied. If they found anything of interrest, it was brought to other storages.

Hans: Earlier in the thread you seemed to have discounted the concept of ships carrying manuscripts so I'm not sure what your position is.

Link

Alexanria was politics, On was THE library.

Hans: There where three libraries the Royal Museum or biblioteke/Library used by scientists, researchers and royalty plus the two public ones, located in the Serapeum and Cesarion temples. These were damaged and burned at different times.

Now where are those texts?

Hans: You seem to think they still exist, okay so where are they? See unanswered question above.

Hans: You seemed to have forgotten to answer a question I asked earlier,

Question from my last posting..... Oh and the "elites" have everything huh? So where is all that stored and who, translated, conserved and cataloged it? ....How many thousands of tons would that be by the way......

[edit on 28/3/09 by Hanslune]

[edit on 28/3/09 by Hanslune]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Nope, they were in On or Aun or Heliopolis. Same place, different names.

Hans: Your ancient source for that?

On or Heliopolis was the City of the Sun or Ra. It was also the city of the royal scribes. Read the Papyrus of Ani and similar texts.

Alexanria Library was merely the storage of the customs police.

Hans: Your source for that?

I was told by a very wise old man whom I trust. And as far as I know you can find it in any authorised book on Egyptian history.

No ship could leave the ports of Egypt before every book onboard was copied. If they found anything of interrest, it was brought to other storages.

Hans: Earlier in the thread you seemed to have discounted the concept of ships carrying manuscripts so I'm not sure what your position is.

Link

I said the vast share of what was kept in Alexandria were ship logs and maps etc. Why would merchant ships carry unique manuscripts containing secret knowledge? There may have been a red herring here and there (which were plucked out and stored elsewhere), but most of what was collected in Alexandria was, though interestingly enough, writings like you would find onboard merchantships today, explaining what the ships carry, where they have been and where they are heading etc. Thus: Not exactly mysterious secret writings explaining the foundations of our culture and the meaning of life. The Egyptians wanted full control over what happened in the Med and the Red and the govs surrounding them, and through their policy resulting in the elusive library, they got it. Part of the reason Egypt could do such a thing was that at that time Egypt had a (known) world monopoly on paper, or papyrus. Some say that when the Egyptian rulers based on the intel gathered by their customs policy felt threatened by Greece and Rome etc., resulting in Egypt banning export of papyrus. This lead to the invention of Parchment in the Asian (Turkey) city of Pergamon soon after, which in it's turn lead to a renneisance in literature.

Alexanria was politics, On was THE library.

Hans: There where three libraries the Royal Museum or biblioteke/Library used by scientists, researchers and royalty plus the two public ones, located in the Serapeum and Cesarion temples. These were damaged and burned at different times.

And your source for this is (there being three different libraries in Alexandria, I mean)? BTW Biblioteque is a Fr./Lat. word meaning "house of books". Gr./Lat. Museum means "house of muses". The muses were the inspirational goddesses in Greek mythology traditionally helping artists and poets to bring their beauty into the world.

Now where are those texts?

Hans: You seem to think they still exist, okay so where are they? See unanswered question above.

It's what gives societies like the Masons and Illuminati and the kings and religions their power. Often hidden right infront of our noses. Knowledge, true or false, is power. It's what may turn a slave into a king or simpler a curious student into a professor with a PhD.

Hans: You seemed to have forgotten to answer a question I asked earlier,

Question from my last posting..... Oh and the "elites" have everything huh? So where is all that stored and who, translated, conserved and cataloged it? ....How many thousands of tons would that be by the way......

Societies like the Masons have a wide range of books in circulation. They often contain essoteric and/or mythical wisdom passed down through the generations from the most ancient cultures. These books are available only to the Masons, and most masons don't even know the very essence of the depths of these books until they reach a level where these ancient secrets are revealed through multifaceted keys or rosettastones.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

On or Heliopolis was the City of the Sun or Ra. It was also the city of the royal scribes. Read the Papyrus of Ani and similar texts.

Hans: Sorry but you failed to provide a source for this, saying, “go look it up” means you cannot support it

I was told by a very wise old man whom I trust. And as far as I know you can find it in any authorised book on Egyptian history.

Hans: Translation, “I made it up” or I can play the “I know another very wise old man who said your very wise old man was full of it” card too, LOL

I said the vast share of what was kept in Alexandria were ship logs and maps etc. Why would merchant ships carry unique manuscripts containing secret knowledge? There may have been a red herring here and there (which were plucked out and stored elsewhere), but most of what was collected in Alexandria was, though interestingly enough, writings like you would find onboard merchantships today, explaining what the ships carry, where they have been and where they are heading etc. Thus: Not exactly mysterious secret writings explaining the foundations of our culture and the meaning of life.

Hans: Then we are in agreement, however this doesn't seem to support your claim that the Egyptians were doing this to gain intelligence

The Egyptians wanted full control over what happened in the Med and the Red and the govs surrounding them, and through their policy resulting in the elusive library, they got it.

Hans: Considering their complete failure to do so and their conquest by Rome it would seem they failed. Show me the extend of Egyptian power prior to the development of the Library to the extent of the Library at the time of the first fire. This comparison shows what? Why wouldn't the libraries that existed in most Hellenistic cities and in particular Pergamun not counter this?

Part of the reason Egypt could do such a thing was that at that time Egypt had a (known) world monopoly on paper, or papyrus.

Hans: Incorrect, the Mesopotamians were still using clay, the Indians and Chinese bamboo strips and other materials. The Egyptians had a monopoly of papyrus yes but it didn’t affect the “world”.

Some say that when the Egyptian rulers based on the intel gathered by their customs policy felt threatened by Greece and Rome etc., resulting in Egypt banning export of papyrus.

Hans: Which ancient sources said this? You said above that the material from the custom policy would have garnered them ships logs and ‘maps’.

This lead to the invention of Parchment in the Asian (Turkey) city of Pergamon soon after, which in it's turn lead to a renneisance in literature.

Hans: As I stated before the use of parchment was popularized in Pergamun but not invented there. The use of animal skin was rather ancient

And your source for this is (there being three different libraries in Alexandria, I mean)? BTW Biblioteque is a Fr./Lat. word meaning "house of books". Gr./Lat. Museum means "house of muses". The muses were the inspirational goddesses in Greek mythology traditionally helping artists and poets to bring their beauty into the world.

Hans: Sources, The Vanished Library by Luciano Canfora, ISBN 0-520-07255-3. I used the term biblioteke, the Greek word. History of Libraries in the Western World (4th edition), by Michael H. Harris, 1995, Jean-Yves Empereur, Alexandria - Jewel of Egypt. There was the Royal library and the two temple libraries as noted

It's what gives societies like the Masons and Illuminati and the kings and religions their power. Often hidden right infront of our noses. Knowledge, true or false, is power. It's what may turn a slave into a king or simpler a curious student into a professor with a PhD.

Hans: So where are these libraries? How many books are in them? How would they compare to say the Library of Congress for size of the collection? Remember you said information is never lost so if you are including the documents of all past civilizations that must be an impressive total!

Societies like the Masons have a wide range of books in circulation.

Hans: Such as? How large is this collection? Who does the translation – or do all your mysterious power holders have the ability to read ancient languages?

They often contain essoteric and/or mythical wisdom passed down through the generations from the most ancient cultures.

Hans: Such as? Why would religious trivia of former religions be of use to them?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

We'll take that as "no comment", LOL

new topics

top topics