It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Spain to Pull Troops out of Iraq ASAP.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
In a televised speech just hours after being sworn in, Spain's new Prime Minister elect Jose Luis Rodriquez Zapatero has ordered Defense Minister Jose Bono to do "...what is necessary for the Spanish troops in Iraq to come home in the shortest time and in the greatest safety possible."

Sky.com

Spain has approximately 1300 troops in Iraq.

This decision was expected as it was heavily campaigned upon in the run up to the Spanish elections in March, but the decision to make the announcement so soon was entirely unexpected.

Zapatero was elected in March, three days after terrorist rail bombings in Madrid killed 191 people. He promised to bring Spanish troops home if the UN did not take political and military control in Iraq by June 30th. With more than two months until the deadline, Zapatero explained the early troop withdrawal by saying, "With the information we have, and which we have gathered over the past few weeks, it is not foreseeable that the United Nations will adopt a resolution."

Related Stories:
MSNBC.com
News.com.au
BBC.co.uk

Related ATSNN Stories:
Terrorist Rail Bombings in Madrid

[Edited on 19-4-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
i can hear spain now " WHOS COMMIN WITH ME?"

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
And if it weren't for the bombing, Zapatero probably wouldn't have been elected. I imagine terrorists are patting themselves on the back right now thinking they've found a winning formula. Too bad it isn't so...

(edit)Too bad that isn't so, meaning, too bad they're wrong and they're going to get their asses handed to them anyway...

DeltaChaos

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Good for spain. They have are making themselves safe. I don't think the terrorist will bomb a place that is not messing with them.

If inly the U.S. can realize this. Sure we will be letting the terrorist "win" but we will have our safety. They are mad at us because we interfered with thier religous affairs. you should never mess with religios affairs.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
So place your bets now. What country do you think is coming out next? I think Japan

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Thank God Spain has a brain.

Iraq was a big waste of time and waste of lives and Spain finally realized it.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I think we will see Japan next with S. Korea pulling back all support shortly after.

In the end it will be us and a few British left.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie

In the end it will be us and a few British left.

Maybe that's what they want.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qraz A.K.A. MIlfort
Good for spain. They have are making themselves safe. I don't think the terrorist will bomb a place that is not messing with them.
You've missed their entire point, then. Their stated goal is to eliminate the infidels of the world, meaning anyone who doesn't believe as they do. Spain has just declared their subservience to the aggressors, and has set precedence for others to do the same. If America were to back off, we would still be just as much a target as we are now. They hate us and want us all dead, remember?

Originally posted by Vegemite
So place your bets now. What country do you think is coming out next? I think Japan
I think Japan's going to stick it out. They've been itching for a fight - ANY Fight! They were fierce warriors before we temporarily castrated them with the big ones. I think they're looking to re-earn their swords now.

DC

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaChaos

You've missed their entire point, then. Their stated goal is to eliminate the infidels of the world, meaning anyone who doesn't believe as they do. Spain has just declared their subservience to the aggressors, and has set precedence for others to do the same. If America were to back off, we would still be just as much a target as we are now. They hate us and want us all dead, remember?

They hate us us because we interfered and helped the Jews. Osama use to be our friend before we put military bases on his homeland.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The dumbest thing Spain could do is this... This will lead to more attacks in Europe because they then know that the way they tried worked... well I would have send more soldiers and went to the Security Counsil of the UN and ask Nato and UN soldiers to head into Iraq and take over command...

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Has bought itself a TEMPORARY repreive at best. IF we pull out and leave the Islamofacists to their devices, it will only be a matter of time before they begin making new demands upon Spain beleiving Spain has "seen the light".

At that point Spain will be in a stickier wickett than it is now. What will they do? Turn their backs upon the free world and join this band of thugs? I doubt it... The bombs and slayings will recommense double fold...

It amazes me how short sighted some of the world seems to be. These animals want total control of the PLANET. How many times do we need to be told that if we are not Muslim we are to be killed?

How many innocent men, women and children have to die before ALL of us realize there is NO reasoning with these extremists? You can't reason with someone who wants you to convert or DIE.

A succint analogy of this situation is the Crusades. What chance did the Mayans, Aztecs and Incas have against the Conquistadors? NONE. They either had to completely relinquish their age old culture or be killed. In the end they were slaughtered for their gold but the point remains.

The Mayans could not reason with crusaders. There was no middle ground to be had. We can not reason with these crusaders either. They have no middle ground, we are the infidels and they beleive it is their duty to their trumped up prophet to exterminate the infidels. End of story.

m...

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Spain's withdrawal will only prolong the conflict in Iraq, and make things more difficult for those troops who remain. The terrorists and rebels thrive on division among the coalition countries - and surely, even those who opposed the war must agree that the reconstruction of Iraq should be the most important thing?

Zapatero has shown himself to be a small-minded man who won't hesitate to make political capital out of tragedy. Turning our backs on Iraq, or on Israel or Afghanistan, will not end the threat of international terrorism, and it will not aide the people on the ground. Those who would appease the terrorists - including Mr. Zapatero - will only strengthen their cause. Civilisation demands unity!

Ignorance and fear of our fellow man are, and shall remain, the most significant enemies, far worse than ten Bin Ladens.

Come on, people, we can do better than this!

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

If inly the U.S. can realize this. Sure we will be letting the terrorist "win" but we will have our safety. They are mad at us because we interfered with thier religous affairs. you should never mess with religios affairs.

May spain be run by Terrorists. Spain has shown that they will give in to demands if you kill people there. COOL, now every tom, dick, and harry who wants something from the Spanish people and government knows how to get it so taking over the country should be a cake walk. Anyone want 100 mil? Blow up a couple trains and than demand it, start kidnaping spanish citizens and do a little K&R. Hell with the president the spanish government set they now have a huge bulls-eye painted on their country. Good job? Whatever.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by StrangeLands
Spain's withdrawal will only prolong the conflict in Iraq, and make things more difficult for those troops who remain.

Huh????

I hardly see how the removal of Spain's 1,300 troops could prolong the conflic in Iraq. It's not like they had 30,000 infantry and 500 tanks.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

They hate us us because we interfered and helped the Jews. Osama use to be our friend before we put military bases on his homeland.
No, they hate us because we eat pork. They hate us because we allow our women to show skin. They hate us because we create and celebrate graven images. They hate us for everything we are that their beliefs say we should not be. THAT is an infidel, and that is the word they use to describe us. The only purpose for the 'Holy War' that they have, in fact, declared against us and the rest of the western world is to replace one religious ideal with another. Holy war is not declared to convince countries to reconsider foriegn policy or make a troop movement. It is to carry out the will of your God...

[EDIT] Fantasy land called. They want their Osama bin Laden comment back. Osama bin Laden was a tool for the CIA. He was one of the many who were used by them to ensure that our enemy (the USSR) did not control that region. You think Osama was our friend? He was a puppet. Oh, and by the way... Spain is in more danger now than they were before the election.

DC

[Edited on 18-4-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Remember, 91% of the Spanish people had opposed the war before it even started. There new leader is just giving them what they wanted in the first place.
And don't forget Aznar's spin for electoral gain claiming 'certain knowledge' that the massacre had been carried out by ETA. It was that barefaced lie that tipped the scales and lost him the election.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I m from Spain, and I can say that Zapatero is just a populist, in his electoral campaign his main propose was to pull back the Iraq troops, but what he didn�t say, is the reinforce of the Afghanistan troops whit more soldiers, and of course, the Madrid bombing terrorists said that that�s not enough and they will still striking us.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well good for Spain.

They kept their word with the terrorists.

A great victory for Al-Qaeda and a great shame for Spain. IMO

We have our own election in the USA soon, I am sure Al-Qaeda has something planned for us as well.

And who knows maybe we will be like Spain and give them another victory.

Hell in time maybe the whole goddamned' world will convert to Islam and kiss Osama's A$$

Gazz

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join