It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MARCH 7, 2009 Cybersecurity Chief Resigns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

MARCH 7, 2009 Cybersecurity Chief Resigns

online.wsj.com

WASHINGTON -- The government's coordinator for cybersecurity programs has quit, criticizing what he described as the National Security Agency's grip on cybersecurity.

In reality, "NSA currently dominates most national cyber efforts," Mr. Beckstrom wrote to Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano on Thursday. "While acknowledging the critical importance of NSA to our intelligence efforts, I believe this is a bad strategy on multiple grounds."

He added that "the threats to our democratic processes are significant if all top level government network security and monitoring are handled by any one organization (either directly or indirectly)." That echoed the view of some privacy advocates who worry about a government agency having too much information on individuals.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Straight from the horses mouth. Interesting and troubling that they have issued not a single response to his claims. Equally disturbing is the fact that apparently this group, unlike most government entities had actually developed something useful.

Of all of the issues currently going and much of which is ably discussed, the issue that I believe links many together is a erosion of privacy. We are seeing it all over the world (Britain is especially bad). Now we have someone on the inside telling us that the NSA is at least in the center of a conflict of interest between the safety of the nation and the safety of our privacy. While I certainly believe that we need to do what is necessary to protect the nation, protecting our privacy is as important, as when that goes, so does our freedom

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Wow. NSA. I really think FEMA gets a bit too much attention. CIA sure. But there really much attention paid to the NSA and they run pretty carte blanche.
Consider NSA's parent is DoD ie DEFENSE. Formerly the Dept of War. hmmm...

this resignation reminds me of the guy who was the Secretary James Forrestal.
The first DoD director who basically had a nervous break down after his mind was blown from hot shnike and "fell" out of a window. Oops.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Obama is Lord of the Dropping Flies.
Seriously though, who goes crying to Napolitano? You just don't do that. I mean seriously.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moonsouljah
Obama is Lord of the Dropping Flies.
Seriously though, who goes crying to Napolitano? You just don't do that. I mean seriously.

Napolitano was his boss. He reported directly to her. It was in his letter of resignation.

[edit on 10/3/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Some Homeland Security officials said Mr. Beckstrom's criticism stemmed from personality clashes and an inability to adapt to the way business is done in Washington.

Department of Homeland Security spokeswoman Amy Kudwa said that the Department of Homeland Security has "a strong relationship" with the NSA. Homeland Security "continues to work in close collaboration with all of our federal partners on protecting federal civilian networks, and is fully engaged in the 60-day cybersecurity review," she said.

Ms. Kudwa declined to respond to Mr. Beckstrom's specific critiques. "We thank Rod for his service, and regret his departure," she said.

In other words... "phew, glad he's gone... now, back to business as ususal".

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Any updates on this?

line two

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Wasn't part of the 9/11 commissions reccomendations that there were too many agencies gathering but not sharing information timely? I would think putting Cyber stuff under one umbrella (NSA) would be better than having multiple duplicate efforts by many agencies.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Wow, they raided the former offices of the man he tapped to be his chief information officer, and another treasury deputy pick declines due to problems with the vetting process. Gee, the man really picks some winners.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
We are screwed. We should all just put on a slave band and just respond "Umm Yes Massa"

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

MBU- What up dawg?
I know, I know- "let me see your Papers!" or no, no "Let me scan your Chip!"

Your comment reminds me of this:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Reply to Moonsoulja

Hey Moon

Good video there. I think that the evidence is out there and people just dont choose to listen. We are slaves all of us. I officially give up on humanity. Im going to look out for myself and continue to educate myself and my family of how really is going down. Im sure the NSA is archiving my post as we speak and adding it to my "file" I already am pulled aside when I go to the airport for special searches....pfft.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moonsouljah
reply to post by mybigunit

MBU- What up dawg?
I know, I know- "let me see your Papers!" or no, no "Let me scan your Chip!"

Your comment reminds me of this:

Wow... ole what's-his-name was really upset with Nader for using the "racist term" Uncle Tom. Funny how the media are the ones censoring people.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I think his issue and one I agree with is that by having all of the cyber security activity under one organization, particularily within the national security umbrella, there is no civil check and balance to ensure that the privacy of citizens are protected. We've already seen the FISA statute taken pretty far, and some of that advance taken absent any judicial review.

As far as I'm concerned, national security with respect to electronic activity is a priority equal to that as the protection of individual privacy. Check and balance and if these folks can't work together, get folks in those organizations who can.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   
We all know what happened to the CIA when they got too powerful,branches broke off from the *official* CIA and worked on their own.The same will happen or has already happened with the NSA,thats what happens when you give a single entity too much control.Something about the NSA scares me even more than the CIA though..cant put my finger on it,something about them scare the daylights out of me for some reason.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Just another Minute Man uncomfortable with his role in Eagle Eye.

The Military Industrial Complex has completely usurped the Constitution in the US - and nothing short of Martial Law (or a new American Revolution) will remove this monsterous system from power.

It's not too late to do something about it - but the hour draws near when it will be - and the NSA is instrumental in implementing a Final Solution to the civilian problem.

Hey - you can't fault them for trying - but we have only ourselves to blame if we allow it to happen!

top topics

join