It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Policeman shot dead in N.Ireland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Policeman shot dead in N.Ireland

news.bbc.co.uk

A policeman has been murdered in Northern Ireland just 48 hours after two soldiers were shot by the Real IRA in Antrim.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
So is this an unconnected attack to the two soldiers who were murdered? Or is this a rise of from people who do not want peace and stability?

Fingers crossed that these are only isolated incidents, and that all involved in these slayings get the full book of justice thrown at them for the murders of these innocents.

This is the first murder of a police officer in NI since 1998, so it does look like someone or some people are aiming to disrupt the peace.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Just in time for St. Patty's!
IRA ALL THE WAY!
At least when they hijacked planes they returned them in one piece! Hey!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moonsouljah
Just in time for St. Patty's!
IRA ALL THE WAY!
At least when they hijacked planes they returned them in one piece! Hey!

Haha yeah, and they were very nice enough to let the police know that the bombs were in place, even if they did occasionaly explode and kill a few children eh?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
People just can't live and let live can they?
What's the world coming to these days?
I thought we'd grown out of the Irish trying to kill the Brits and the Brits tryng to kill the Irish.
Obviously I was wrong, there's no profit in peace to be made.
And some people just can't get over it and want to fight and kill for the thrill of getting their names in the papers.

So sad of them

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

this is a disgraceful thing to say, we went through 35yrs of s**t in this wee country.. and for what, high unemployment,lack of investment ,infastructure delapidatd, skilled labour left on mass, yeah it was great pal

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by foxhoundone

I quite agree...my other half is from Belfast and grew up there in the 70's and 80's. The situation there, even historically, is not something to joke about, ever. I hope to God that this little flurry of attacks stops now, and leaves Northern Ireland to recover properly. Even living on the mainland, I can well remember the fear and panic the IRA caused, and would not wish for that again, no matter how justified they think their cause is. Murdering psychopaths will always find a reason to be murdering psychopaths.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by foxhoundone

this is a disgraceful thing to say, we went through 35yrs of s**t in this wee country.. and for what, high unemployment,lack of investment ,infastructure delapidatd, skilled labour left on mass, yeah it was great pal

I wouldn't get too annoyed about it. It's pitifully easy for people to cheer-lead from the other side of the Atlantic if there's no chance they'll get caught in a bomb blast or gun cross-fire themselves.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
My heart goes out to the families of those murdered. The people of Nothern Ireland want to live their lives in peace the same as all sane and rational people.

These brutal cowards need to be found and brought to justice. I sincerely hope that some civic minded people, who know the identity of these animals, pass their names and addresses to the authorities so that the good people of NI can carry on with life without living in fear.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Hugely insensitive. Apologies please. In the end, alliances to any group beg to be questioned and not joked about.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   

apoligy accepted

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
These are younger people who would of learnt of the IRA through their families and books. They will be more radical and violent than the old IRA and will try and force a resumption of British soldiers patrolling the streets. The British government MUST treat this as a criminal matter and not resort to army presence on the streets. MI5 nad the polices special services need to up their games and break up these groups and be on a constant survellience and harrasment operation.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   
We should send the SAS back to Ireland, and let them hunt down these scumbags with lethal force.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Continuity IRA have claimed responsibility

news.bbc.co.uk...

so two attacks by two IRA splinter groups in just a few days

I personally hope that this isn't a return to the old days but i suppose time will tell

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
as i mentioned before there are 4 `distinct` groups called `IRA

Provisional
Official
Continuity
Real

quick history

the provo`s split from the official IRA in 1969 after a disagreement over the direction to go , when discussing how to respond to the bogside riots in derry killing protestants (12-14 august 1969) and the retaliation riots in belfast killing catholics (13-17 ausgust 1969)

the para`s were brought in to actually defend the catholics in the belfast riots - but it was rather heavy handed and went wrong from there (weapons searches etc) , btw bloody sunday was 3 years later , and the brits have apologised over it.

anyway the IRA split in `69 with the provo`s wantin to fight back and the marxist offical IRA wanting to try a different approach - well we all know what happened over the next 33 years.

so thus was born 2 factions called IRA after a split.

a similar thing happened in the late 80`s and thus was formed the continuity IRA , and again another split in the provo`s in the late 90`s brought about the RIRA - that was mainly when the provo`s were disarming and some ultra extremists didn`t want to.

the last 2 groups are the ultra extremists - and yes if it served there end goals they WOULD fly planes into buildings

they nail bombed children at Omagh allready.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by SKUNK2
We should send the SAS back to Ireland, and let them hunt down these scumbags with lethal force.

Why do you think these attacks are happening?

THe REAL IRA are trying to get the British government to start putting soldiers back on the streets.. this will completely destabilize the relationship between groups and cause violent sectarianism again...

As long as the Northern Ireland politicians and British government can weather this without becoming too forceful.. there will be a chance to save the peace process.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
best way to deal with these idiots it to treat them as common criminals, and not glamorize their actions. Don't give them the respect of calling this anything else than what it is.....a brutal murder.
The reaction from the British government and especially the Loyalist gangs are paramount here to avoiding any more violence, and the decline into tit-for-tat killings. restraint is needed, let the PSNI catch the criminals and deal with them.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

First of all my sincere condolances to the families of the unfortunate victims.But something ,somehow ,does'nt seem right about this.The group that have accepted blame are one I have never heard of and I just cannot believe that after all these years,12 i believe,the violence in Ireland would rear it's ugly head again.

I just get this feeling that it may be a Wag the Dog? A lot of REAL bad news is going to be announced over the next few weeks and this story is taking up most of the news time at the mo.Hey I'm probably paranoid but now the seeds have been set for unrest in ireland, I just wonder if when some of the big SHTF stories that will break soon may be conveniently buried under another "IRA splinter group " attack but maybe on a bigger scale.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Some arrests have been made regarding the officer's shooting. It turns out one of those thought to be responsible was only 17-years-old.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

All deaths are deeply regretable but as Ireland history shows while there are british forces on our land of Ireland there will never be peace.

After ten years of peace there was no cause for british forces of occupation to remain in the north - while what the RIRA did was terrible, the actions of the british government to have occupational forces still remain in the land of Ireland has to be questioned also.

I have not once seen this issue brought up on this thread.

Why in a time of peace were british colonial forces still on the Island of Ireland. The peace process did not require or need them.

Shame on RIRA for what they did but more shame upon the british government for stationing forces of occupation to remain in the north where they was no reason. If the british continue to offer provocation through the stationing of british armed forces on the island of Ireland it will inevitably provoke an armed response as it has throughout the history of Ireland.

Many proponents of the armed struggle would have been told to give the peace process a chance and they did. Many of them have since become frustrated after ten years of peace to see british bases still on the island of Ireland - in many eyes this would have been seen as a failure of the peace process.

I'm not condoning the deaths of the british soliders and I feel for their familes but I think equal blame should be attributed to the britsh government as it has been to RIRA.

If you continue to wave a red flag at a bull it will eventually attack.

True peace in Ireland will be achieved through a full british withdrawal. This would allow the Northern government to rule itself and eventually lead to a united Ireland.

Remember this violence has happened before and will again - if we do not learn from our history we shall repeat the mistakes of the past in the future.

Some quotes from the past to prove my point.

They think they have pacified Ireland. They think that they have purchased half of us and intimidated the other half. They think they have foreseen everything, think that they provided against everything; but the fools, the fools, the fools! - they have left us our Fenian dead, and while Ireland holds these graves, Ireland unfree shall never be at peace". - Padraig Pearse, in oration at funeral in Glasnevin of Fenian Jeremiah O'Donovan Rossa, August 1, 1915.

The british govt has no right in Ireland, never had any right in Ireland ,never can have any right in Ireland " James Connolly 1916

top topics

join