It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possibilities of shared dreaming, continuity of dreams, etc...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I don't post very often but here I am, almost 4AM and I see a lot of threads in this here forum based on dreams, so I thought I would throw one recurring dream out there and see if anyone could help explain some possibilities or what the dream may mean, etc.

Some details on my dreaming: I am a very vivid dreamer. Most of my dreams are interconnected on some level. Example: The dreams I have on the same night, say when I first go to sleep until the time I wake up including the times I wake up to roll over, go to the bathroom, etc... are almost always continued. I'm not sure how to explain it besides equating it to a Broadway play. Act 1 takes place when I first go to bed, waking up and rolling over would be the intermission, and act 2 and so forth would take place when I go back to sleep. I find this a little unnerving as I have asked friends and relatives and the only person to agree with continuity of dreams would be my best friend. Everyone else says their dreams jump from topic to topic.

My other question at this time would be, is it possible to "share" a dream with someone else, eg: crossing over in to their consciousness/dreamland and experiencing what they dream or what I am dreaming? One specific event still haunts me to this day. (Also, can someone explain what happens or why you "wake up" in a dream, and then continue to "wake up" in real life? This scares the holy crap out of me!).

I am running through a disheveled house (one that I am very familiar with in the dream, as if I lived there prior), and something/someone is close behind me. I believe it to be someONE that I know, but do not personally know, if you understand what I am trying to say? At one point I slam through a door in to a sort of hallway with rubble cutting it in half more or less. Out of nowhere I "wake up" in a sense. Everything has a realistic tinge to it (sounds, smells, tastes, etc... Before this I never remembered so much vibrancy in my senses. I could smell the blood on my face and taste it!! Is that possible??). Hiding behind some kind of furniture is a girl around my age (25) who looks straight in my eyes, her eyes widen, and she says something along the lines of, "Who are you?! What are you doing here?!", and something seems to register in her and she shouts out something about getting the effe out of there with her, she doesn't know where she is or how she got there, but she thinks I'm in the same boat, etc. Most of the time I wake up sitting up in bed, sweating, at the moment she starts explaining things...

So, if anyone could explain the possibilities I have brought up, mainly sharing dreams, the importance of such, and continuity.

PS - I have dreams where I return to locations, EXACTLY as they were the previous time I "visited" them, though it is very rare for me to have the same dream twice or more. It's more like, I can visit a mansion, see it, and visit it again? I don't hear of this happening often with the people I have discussed it with. Any responses and help would be amazing
!

Edited the thread title for better description

[edit on 10-3-2009 by RcknShdw]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
For the most part I think it is possible to share dreams with someone else, I have had a few experiences in the past where at least two of my friends would dream up the same type of dream we had; Then again I don't know if it was indeed a dream or if it was projection at the time.

I don't know to much about continuing dreams, I'm sorry
. The only thing that was close to something like that is this spring break I've been dreaming of the same person every time I went to sleep (And I sleep at least twice 4~6 hours each time I lay down on my bed). I don't know if that counts, but every time I do close my eyes she seems different; yet the "area" about the dream feels the same (generally it feels as if the dream is in the same "dream world" and perhaps only a day or a few hours has passed since I have been walking about in wakeful conscious.)

Again sorry I can't be much help except for say that yes I do believe both are quite possible.

[Edit]
Just saw I wrote space instead of same. Whoops!

[edit on 10-3-2009 by Nurii]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I have repetitive dreams, in fact a mansion is one of them. I also keep dreaming about beaches and schools, probably because I attended about 16 of them during my childhood. Many of my dreams are quite vivid.

I rarely have dreams that continue after waking up.

I experienced a shared dream once, with my daughter. It was quite profound because we'd been interrupted in our sleep from a power failure that caused an alarm to go off (in a Hotel room) and the TV came on blaring very loudly, when we never left it on that loud. I didn't tell her what my dream was about and was stunned when she said "I'm glad I woke up, I was having a nightmare about ....". We had the same dream. It could be because we slept in such close proximity?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Yes Nurii! That's sort of what I was trying to explain
! It can be anything from a direct continuation of the dream to somewhere in the close future. Like a few hours or days as you have said! But it is always the same "dream world" as you put it, never deviating. At least in the same night, tomorrow might be something different.

The girl in my dream is always the same in appearance, voice. She never deviates from her constant look, which makes me wonder if she is a real person somewhere, and why our paths always cross in dreams at the most inappropriate moments (like running to find someone, or opening a door, etc). Our "meetings" almost always break the continuity of the current dream.

Edit: Some reason the reply to feature didn't work, this one is in response to Nurii

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

Violet, I'm not sure about proximity to another person, though I believe it's more of a personal proximity. Seeing as it was your daughter, you would have a closer personal proximity to her than a stranger sleeping in the next room at the hotel. I do not believe distance makes a difference when it comes to the metaphysical and dreaming. But then, that is my own take on it

The reason I say this is because my best friend sleeps on the other side of the room and I rarely dream of him in any way. But, there are people who have stepped in to my dreams that I know that live many miles away, but who I have shared much deeper personal connections to before I met my best friend.

I hope that explains my view on it for you. Please feel free to add your own opinions on the matter

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I don't usually remember any of my dreams but this is the second one about the same person I have had and it was such a clear dream that me and him were sitting in an old theatre but there was a coffin with an old lady in it.

He had his coat on and jeans on and he was really upset talking about a mother forgiving someone, then he burst into tears with his shoulders shaking up and down and all I do is put my hand on his chest (over his coat) tell him he will be ok and then I woke up in tears at 04:00 when he came in to work at 08:00 he looked terrible and really down.

In the afternoon he walked by and I asked him if he was ok. I had hardly said anything to him before that since May and he looked really surprised when I asked him and he smiled and said yes and asked why. I told him because he looked sad. He said he was ok and thanked me.

It actually freaked me out a bit. I have not been able to speak about it to him either as he works in one of the offices here. I don't know if it has anything to do with a bond we might have!

top topics

join