It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food, utilities, shelter, How are you doing?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

My husband and I are running in to the same thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Thank you all for your responses, although there is no safety in numbers, it does make us feel like we are not alone to know that others are in the midst of similar stuggles. I think growing our own veggies is a great idea, everyone should know how to grow a good pot of soup, and maybe consider what me and my husband are doing if you are at risk of loosing the home you are in now, which is that we are growing at his parents house, and we will all split the expense of the gardens. Some one suggested a site to find out all your city's resources for help, good idea, unfortunately in my city we 'make too much' to obtain assistance unless you are already homeless you are pretty much Out Of Luck.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

I'm really sorry that you and your husband are having such a hard time right now. I hope that business will pick up so you guys will get more hours.

In the meantime, have you guys applied for food stamps to see if your eligible? If you're not, then call some of the local churches to see if they have a food bank. There was a time when I was in college when I was totally broke. I was working 3 jobs and didn't qualify for food stamps and had very little money left for food because of college and medical expenses. I got some help from a couple of churches.

I know it's really hard to find a job these days, but one possibility would be to apply for a part-time job somewhere. I know that can be challenging, not only because of the competition for the few jobs there are, but also because you have to try to juggle your schedules when working two jobs. If you only have one car, then finding a way for two people to get back and forth to two different jobs each could be pretty challenging. It could work if your jobs were in close proximity.

As far as my situation, my husband and I are doing fine right now. We both work in the restaurant industry, and while we had a slow down for a little while this summer, we've been crazy busy since the first of the year.

We both have plenty of hours, and we both just got raises. How long all that will last...well...I just don't know. With the economy the way it is and so many people being layed off, I think it's just a matter of time before business declines significantly. But for now, we're fine.

Do you and your husband have family and/or friends who can help you? Would you be able to perhaps move in with family during this difficult time? If that's not possible, getting a roommate is something to think about. My husband and I had a roommate during the early part of our marriage because we were broke. It really helped a lot.

I hope you'll explore unemployment benefits too. I'd call and talk to someone there, tell them your situation and see if you qualify for anything.

Take care and hang in there.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to Space Cadet:

I just had one more idea I wanted to throw out there. I know places like McDonald's don't pay much, but if you can juggle a 2nd job and all that's available is something like McDonald's, it might be worth it to consider it. I know minimum wage isn't much, but when I used to work there, we got a free meal every shift we worked. So you'd not only earn a little money, but the free meal would be something you could count of every shift and help stretch the food you have at home. Also, back when I worked at McDonald's, they provided the uniform so there was so uniform expense other than shoes.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by cornblossom]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
in my lil town we have a jacks. And they have applications pouring in. My uncle who is use to making 80K a yea is down to minimum wage working there.
where I work I keep calling since my layoff and no luck at all. They had to sherrif positions open and over 250 applications.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
All great suggestions, I am looking for a second job, as is my hubby, we are a 1 car houselhold but we have help from family as far as extra transportation needs go. I did apply for food stamps, not eligible at this time, I have already made 2 trips since Jan to the food bank, they are running very low and for a family with no small children in the home what they give you really isn't much at all, to be honest I only used the rice and some can soups they gave us. I am not trying to be picky, I mean if your hungry you should be able to eat anything right? I guess I am not that hungry yet because I can't eat oatmeal or canned spagetti, my hubby liked the canned spagetti though. It is not going to hurt me at all to loose a few pounds though, not really my idea of a good diet ( the 'I'm broke and can't afford food' diet) but hey, it's working. Lost 6 pounds now. I just think it is awful that we both work, and we can't even afford to buy food that we usually buy, we have modified so much now to accomodate the changes to our income, food shouldn't have to be one of them, but it is.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I hate to hear all this. If I wasn't in my situation, Id be more than willing to lend a hand. I really wish i knew enough to help you out.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Due to 3 chronic illnesses, I am unable to work.I am on a small disability which is my fault for not paying much into the social security system. I had my rent go up a bit and the food prices are high also. I have become creative and frugal and I dont have much money but I volunteer at a food bank and get some fringe benifits there. I have 2 cats also and have managed to get some help with cat food a bit.

Im able to do ok,as its just me. I cannot imagine a family with true money problems. Ive worn the same tennis shoes for 2 years. They are good ones but in need of repacement soon. I will get some. I live on half of what is considered poverty level but Im happy most of the time. Its not what you have, but who you have around you that counts. I know this as Ive had lots of money before and I wasnt happy as I am now.

God Bless you all and I hope everyone manages well.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by tommyb98201

Tommy you are so right, it is about those you are with, and I thank my lucky stars every day that I have my husband, and that he is relatively healthy, I have a couple of medical issues, one which is begining to be of deep concern, I am thankful that we have a clinic here, funded by donations only, for folks like me who are not on disability and ineligble for medicaid or medicare, it at least is paying for my doctor visits and my meds. I do have some hope, albiet from a source I didn't want. I was run over, as a pedestrian, during our local fireworks last summer, it was a hit and run, I spent around 6 months in therapy and many folks turned in the driver of the car's tag #. I got an attorney and her insurance company has given a claim number up, and we are expecting to recieve a settlement soon, well, I hope soon anyway. I hate for misfortune like that to become a source of hope, but I went through so much because of that accident and if I get some money for that then so be it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join