It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food, utilities, shelter, How are you doing?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I am interested in knowing from all of you, all over the world, that are working or not and see how the economy is affecting your households. I wasn't too worried but now it is really getting harder to even eat, first my husband had time cut from his work hours, now I have as well, we are struggling to pay our ever increasing utilities, we have cut down on use all we can, taking showers together ( that was a bonus!:roll
not eating out, we even turned our gas off and have been heating with the fireplace only in 20 degree and less weather, I can barely stretch what little we have left now after bill paying to cover gas and food for another week. If we loose any more time at work we risk not even being able to pay our rent, then what??? I have sold things for food, jewelry, coins, things I should never have had to sell just to eat, I work!! I don't see either of us getting our hours back at work anytime soon, we are facing the reality now that both our jobs are currently at risk of shutting down, our industry is sucking right now, it all depends on next month, whether or not it picks up. I hate it, but I don't think it will. How are you doing, or have you been affected at all by the economy?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I have been thinking about this all day today, I woke up out of a deep sleep with a sense that something was very very wrong, I checked my phone and the news to see if something bad had just happened, and for some reason the words ' ashes to ashes, dust to dust' just kept on repeating in my head. Well tonight I looked that up, I already knew it was Genesis 3:19, but I never got the real jest of it until now. We were 'cursed' to use our 'sweat of the brow' in order to feed ourselves, until we die and become dust again. Kind of a meaningless existance IMO, but that is essentially what 3:19 means. Just wanted to put that out there because I can't get it off my mind, it seems to be some kind of answer to what we are going through. I have read that things started to take a bug turn when we started paying others to feed us, instead of growing and raising what feeds our own families. Industrializing food, now many would need to be taught how to feed themselves, to 'sweat' for your food.

edit to fix silly spelling mistake.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by space cadet]

[edit on 10-3-2009 by space cadet]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I have been laid off for 3 months now. They say you make more on unemployment....I don't. My wife lost her job completly. I have 2 kids and I own my house and my vehicles and I am still struggling to survive. I have plenty of meat in the freezer as i am a hunter. But really the food is getting rationed pretty thin,
My power bill has went up about 50 dollars, which doesnt seemlike much but when you are struggling in the first place it hurts. I guess being home all the time makes a diffrence.
i have been stressing alot lately, but i know I am a little better than some. i can't quite get foreclosed or have my truck repoed.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by realboogyman

As a hunter you will be able to get through a tough time because you can provide meat, that is great. I think everyone I talk to has had an increase on their electric bill, not what we need right now, but I heard that even the power company is getting pinched, of course I don't think that is true, I think they are just kicking us while we are down! I wish you and yours the best.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It's happening all over, and that is why you can tell statistics and media are lying. Almost every company is laying people off, or firing and eliminating positions. Those that are lucky enough to stay get their hours reduced significantly.

I was laid off recently, and given the opportunity to stay with the company in a reduced capacity (but was fired 2 months later), for what I can say now appeared to be an attempt to avoid paying unemployment. The month I was laid off was the best month the company had had ever. Greedy bastards.

A year before this I was laid off from a company, after they were doing massive lay offs. My position wasn't in jeopardy until I asked why they were laying off all these American workers then bringing in foreign college students, and giving them a different title. Needless to say (it's illegal) I was laid off.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

That is something I am very concerned about, as we were both full time emloyees, my hubby has been at the same job for years, but with reduced hours he is now considered part time, hanging in there hoping to get his hours back as I am, but if we loose our jobs now, I am told we cannot draw unemployment! We would be homeless in less than 30 days.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
You can draw unemployment assuming you've worked there long enough, if you are let go for no fault of your own. Alternatively, if they cut 60% of your hours or pay the company is required to file unemployment for you as a retained employee unemployment claim.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

That is a relief, I have been on my job for nearly 3 years, I was in the tax industry, our stores were shut down because of the patriot act. They suspected we were up to no good because we did taxes for military and others who live in the US but were not here to file, it was done via the internet and was perfectly lawful, but a 2 and a half year wait for them to clear us and our business was more than we could sustain, we went out of business. I took this 3rd shift job in a hotel, it was all I could find at the time, and I have grown to like it, and the people I work with, so I stay.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
And all of this makes no sence to me. Mine was supposebly a "seasonal" layoff. i was told fbary I would be called back. nothing so I called them and i was told there is a Hiring freeze right now. I work for the city, i checked the newspapers and the net and they are hiring something like 25 part time police officers, 5 full time. Janitorial work in sevaral city buildings. How can they hire during a hiring freeze placed upon the city? police department i undertstand but janitorial work no not so much. i was forced into a termination when I started asking questions at my last job also. I won't go into detail but, i worked for the Department of defence as a civialian, I was hurt on the job and asked a few to many questions and was kinda forced to quit or face termination. So here lately i have had a few side jobs just trying to stay a float

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I lost my job back in November because I broke my foot and couldn't move around much. Havent been able to find good work since. Nothing that is worth it anyway. 90% of the jobs that are open are nearly half the pay I received in my previous job and are jobs I can not do for long periods of time without rest. (back and shoulder problems)

I have been lucky enough to have a large savings to live on, and it will last me for awhile longer. (My father passed away and left me almost everything)
The only problem I have at the moment is that I cannot remove my fathers assets from the bank it is currently in, some protocol mumbojumbo and if that bank goes under I will lose that money for living.

I am also good to go in the fact I have no debt besides the credit card bills. I pay those the second I get them. I own my house and cars as well.

Most of my friends and neighbors arnt so lucky though...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I used to make a decent wage(about 500 bucks a week, working 48 hours a week). It wasn't alot, but it was enough to get by. Then my employer implemented this "incentive plan".

The basic tenants of the plan:
Cut your base rate by 3/hr.
Work less hours.
Somehow, the above two tenants are supposed to net you more money.

We renamed this to the "bonus plan." Just bend over and the owner will bone us.

So, my base rate was cut, my hours were nearly 1/2'ed. My income was actually cut in half.

I asked for a lay-off, because it's really sad that I can make more on unemployment.

My girlfriend was working two jobs. She got layed off from one.

That's both our income cut in half. We just moved out of our first apartment, broke the lease 10 months early, because they practically forced us to.

They towed my car, saying it was unregistered(it wasn't), and then didn't give me information on where to get it back, I called for 3 days straight. So that was an extra 430$ total(extra 250$ in storage fees)we had to come up with to get that back. Then they just up and tripled the late charge we had on our account with the apt complex. It literally went from 71, to 221. That is just the late charge, on top of the 835/mo rent we already were paying.

Yeah, seems like alot of little #, but it adds up when you're on a budget.

So we just moved into someplace I really don't care to talk about. We can't survive otherwise.

My mom is another story. She worked for a local company for nearly 10 years, and then was laid off. She had to take a job that was 1/2 of the wages she used to make. Try to pay your mortgage on half your income, and still eat.

She literally lives on soup and crackers. It's not great, but she survives.

When things get bad that's all we can do, stick together and survive.

Realize that there are no differences between the people. The dividing lines that do seem to exist between, cultures, race, religions, all those things are created by man, to separate us. Divide and conquer. John Lennon said it more articulately than I ever could.

John Lennon - Imagine
Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
How is it affecting me? Baaaad...along with most people I know. Not just a victim finiancally, but a victim of the rising criminal activity going along with all this BS

I'll try to sum it up short.

I'm 24, I've lived in LA for 6 years working for Hollywood. I work in the post-production side of movies and am a freelance contracter (I work out of my house, computer job) and work mostly for one company, but do fish out work from some several other studios.

Work has dried up, can't get unemployment (tried) and that main studio owes me money, they're on the verge of Ch 11. There just isn't enough work to go around to survive in this city at the moment! I'm a sitting duck, I'm going deeper into to debt so fast. Rent in LA is ridiculous enough, I pay $1000 rent alone!! Not to mention car insurance, utilities, student loans, etc.....
Money disappears here fast.

To top it off, I wake up one Febuary morning, to find my car gone!!! Out of my driveway, in my back yard!!! Not just that, but how they stole it, was first they broke into my house (prob around 4AM). Steal my roomates Xbox from the living room. And took MY KEYS RIGHT OFF MY NIGHTSAND NEXT TO WHERE I WAS SLEEPING...IN MY BEDROOM!!!

Thanks to OnStar I got my car back within 2 hours of waking up, no damage luckily. Also the people they arrested DID have a gun!! Imagine if I had woken up and tried to stop them...BANG...wouldn't be typing this now... That was a sign in my eyes to get out, get out... But wait theres more, I wake up this very morning, my car is there but my window isn't!!, its in a bunch of pieces on the ground. Somebody busted my car window and stole my ipod inside it. IN MY OWN BACKYARD DRIVEWAY...AGAIN!!! But it was different people. The people who stole my car the first time are in jail. Goes to show you how bad crime is starting to get. I don't even feel safe in my own damn home! I'm gettin the hell outta here!

So I'm now flat broke, eating nothin but oatmeal and cheap sandwiches. Hot pockets and Campbells are a luxury theses days. I'm In a sizeable debt (not too extreme, credit is still good, but is crumbling away as I type). I've gone past the breaking point. And now i finally have decided I have to move back home to the midwest and live in my dad's basement. Sometime in April.

But actually, I'm so excited and thankful for this blessing in diguise to get out of this rat race known as LA. Think of all the bad things that could happen to LA LA Land(Quake, riots, drug cartel, "terror attack"...the list goes on.) I don't want to be here when TSHTF. Now I will go back to my family who lives far from any city in the boonies, with hundreds of acres of land and tons of guns. Sometimes I wonder why I ever left in the first place. It was fun being a city boy while it lasted. But the ride is over, back to being a country boy again...thank god!

Much safer place, get to eat my parents food again, see all the ol fam n friends, go back to nature!!!

But then its back to the same question, with every other town, what to do for work there???....

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I feel you lucid* i finally got my break that I have been dreaming of. I actor/model in Atlanta Ga. last month. My dream finally called and said I could be placed in a commercial and maybe a photoshoot, i was so happy. Then they said I would have to meet them In Atlanta (the next day) to discuss somethings. But I am un unemployment, and I had just paid all my bills I cant make the trip. He said that if I turned it down it would haunt my career forever. So I missed out.
But in all i guess its a good thing. i get to sit at home in the country look across the yard towards a mountain, and dream. If ll this would have happened a year ago I would be telling a diffrent story I imagine

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by lucidwave

Why not start growing your own food? It costs very little for seeds and it pays for itself. Not only that if you manage to grow all the food for your family it's like having a job in itself.

I only have a small backyard but growing my own garden gives me such pleasure. I even removed the grass from most of my yard to have a full crop of corn this year! (Im extremely excited about that)

With all the trouble in the world today being able to provide for myself in this aspect is so satisfying.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by lucidwave

I live in the largest city in north Ga, we are not a metropolis, but industry was good here and kept people working, we have seen every major company we had here close. ALL OF THEM! Now we are all just scratching each other's backs, example: I work here, spend money at walmart, the drugstore, and 2 grocery stores, I see those employess in the same locations shopping, and so on... not good. No one is making any real money in this town anymore! I love my city, and I will go down with it before I move to Atlanta for work, I would rather live in a tent than take on that life again! Since I work in a hotel, I am exposed to many from other states that regarless of the reason for their travel ( these days it is all neccessity travelers hospital and family, no recreation at all) and I hear the same story about their cities. Sad.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Growing your own food is a great idea, and something that we do every year, but because we are not sure about our jobs we are also not sure about our rental situation, and have decided in case we have to move, we are going to plant a garden at my in-laws house this year instead, so it will cost us extra this time to travel over there and tend the gardens. I am not so sure it will work out for us.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
My husband has been with a company (lumber) for over 35 years. He's gone from 54 hours a week, down to 40.

A few years ago, I closed my cleaning business to take a job at my small town's grocery store. I was guaranteed 40 hours a week as a department manager. Suddenly there wasn't 40 hours a week in my department, so I ended up working in three others.

Then a few months ago, they said that all full time hourly employees would be cut to 38 hours a week, but would keep benefits. It was more like a 38 hour average over a 4 month period. Paychecks kept fluctuating and I almost lost my benefits.

Biggest mistake I made was moving to another department. I would be working 45 hours a week and be salaried! Nice guarantee of a stable paycheck, right? Well, I've been putting in 60 hours a week because the hourly employees in my department were cut and I have to cover the hours!

Now I have hourly employees that are upset with me because they used to have 30 hours and they're down to 15! They think I'm taking away their hours but it's corporate's budget that is restricting them.

While I should feel blessed at the moment, I'm not looking forward to putting up next week's schedule and explaining to my employees that their hours have been cut.... again. And I'll be covering them... again.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
If anyone is in need of help with these things, our ministry has a site where we offer assistance with locating local organizations in your area that might be able to help provide the help you need. It's called Arks of Safe Haven and the link is available in my signature below.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
We have had no change in our income, although we lost half the value of my husband's 401K (along with everyone else). Fortunately, he has never trusted the market and had comparatively very little there to begin with. We prefer to put our money into other assets.

I am not anticipating problems with income, but I am very afraid that the dollar will become worthless. Therefore, I intend to put in a good-sized garden this year and have begun purchasing staple foods/household items in bulk. I have also sharply reduced the household spending, cutting out almost all unnecessary expenditures, so that I can put that money to some useful purpose. Because of my husband's foresight, we already have some land and an excellent supply of weapons and ammunition (thank goodness).

Our main difficulty, as I see it, is that the property we currently live on is a recent purchase and is mortgaged. If things downturn sharply, it will be best to have zero debt. We have other, paid-for properties that we are trying to sell, but right now that is obviously difficult. I would like to have those funds available to pay off our current house quickly if things look like they are reaching a critical point. But we are luckier than most in that we will have somewhere else to go if it becomes necessary.

Although my immediate family is still doing well, we have many friends and extended family members who are beginning to struggle. The situation this country (and the rest of the world) is in is truly frightening.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join