It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion may be a product of our evolved brains

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I think some people on this thread are talking about religion, some about spirituality, and some about atheism. Then there is the philosophical discussion of consciousness and what that means to the individual.

To me there's a difference between a particular set of rituals, practices and beliefs that may or not require the absolute devotion of an individual-- that is, religion in its narrowest aspects --and the awareness that we are, or may be, part of a larger whole which may not be fully apprehended at this stage of human development--that is, spirituality.

The atheists are mostly talking about religion in its narrowest aspects.

IMO it is certainly possible that spirituality, like philosophy, is a characteristic of a highly developed human brain/society/consciousness.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Sunny I would like to add that I always enjoy reading your posts.

This is good and it made me think. It is obvious that religion has evolved and progressed to get to the stage that it is at now. It's has also been my belief that religion will phase itself out as humanity evolves.

However, this article opens up the idea that we could just be on the tip of religion. I am not talking about organized religion that has been tainted by man but more of a spirituality.

It reminds me of this movie I once watched called "Waking Life". Humanities past achievements up to this day have been cold and sterile. WE have focused on productivity and wealth. The achievements of tomorrow could focus more upon humanity. We could only hope.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join