It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Therianthropes: half human, half animal. Aboriginal cave paintings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
After reading the post on universal symbols found all over the world I decided to have a look for myself. I was unable to find any matches on the few Australian sites i visited but had to give this one a mention.
www.wsws.org....
There are 4000 year old cave painting on the outskirts of Sydney that resemble Egyptian gods. I was intrigued! How could a race of people cut off from the world have the same images as that of the ancient Egyptians, unless they were viewing the same thing.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by yhtomit]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Half human, half man?
Do the math.

Don't worry, I know what you meant. Half human, half animal myths are common. Centaurs, minotaur, mermaid....

[edit on 3/9/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Could that also be a representation of a Witch Doctor of sorts wearing an animal headdress. I don't think you could conclusively say that there is a connection to the Egyptians simply because of that. Now if it were a representation of Ra with the Egyptian symbol for Ra that would be different.

It seems to me that most tribal cultures had some sort of Medicine Man who wore animal headdresses or costumes or they wore them in dances or ceremonies before or after a hunt.

Anything is possible though, even me learning to spell headdresses

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
OMG! Half man. . . Half Human. What kind of freaks must they have been?

I am too afraid to look. Are they hideous? Are they monsters?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

I don't know. Being a Gorilla with a mans brain might be cool. 7 times the strength per pound of muscle or whatever it is. Look out Olympics.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Lets start with the Dreamtime.

"Dreaming" is also often used to refer to an individual's or group's set of beliefs or spirituality. For instance, an Indigenous Australian might say that they have Kangaroo Dreaming, or Shark Dreaming, or Honey Ant Dreaming, or any combination of Dreamings pertinent to their "country". However, many Indigenous Australians also refer to the creation time as "The Dreaming". The Dreamtime laid down the patterns of life for the Aboriginal people. "The Dreaming" was the time of creation.

Dreaming stories vary throughout Australia, and there are different versions on the same theme. For example, the story of how the birds got their colours is different in New South Wales and in Western Australia. Stories cover many themes and topics, as there are stories about creation of sacred places, land, people, animals and plants, law and custom. It is a complex network of knowledge, faith, and practices that derive from stories of creation, and which pervades and informs all spiritual and physical aspects of an indigenous Australian's life.

They believe that every person in an essential way exists eternally in the Dreaming. This eternal part existed before the life of the individual begins, and continues to exist when the life of the individual ends. Both before and after life, it is believed that this spirit-child exists in the Dreaming and is only initiated into life by being born through a mother. The spirit of the child is culturally understood to enter the developing fetus during the 5th month of pregnancy. When the mother felt the child move in the womb for the first time, it was thought that this was the work of the spirit of the land in which the mother then stood. Upon birth, the child is considered to be a special custodian of that part of their country and taught of the stories and songlines of that place. As Wolf (1994: p.14) states: "A black 'fella' may regard his totem or the place from which his spirit came as his Dreaming. He may also regard tribal law as his Dreaming."

One of the beliefs was that before animals and humans and plants were created, there were souls and they knew that they would become physical,but not know when. They then knew the time was right and they all one by one all said "we will do our very best to try to help the one that takes care of us all." Then they all became animals and the plants. Then the last soul became the human. That is why Aboriginal people respect the environment and want to be with the nature because they are their friends.

Traditional Australian indigenous peoples embrace all phenomena and life as part of a vast and complex system-reticulum of relationships which can be traced directly back to the ancestral Totemic Spirit Beings of The Dreaming. This structure of relations, including food taboos, was important to the maintenance of the biological diversity of the indigenous environment and may have contributed to the prevention of overhunting of particular species.

Source

The Aboriginal belief system was/is extremely complex, and varied across all the tribes.

Their drawings of ancestor spirits have been compared to Bigfoot, Aliens and, yes, 'gods' of other ancient civilizations such as the Mayans and Egyptians.

But in reality they were an intrinsic part of the belief system, and were created long before the aforementioned civilizations even came into being.

Could all the cultures have drawn the same creatures because they saw them with their own eyes? Possibly, but unlikely.

It is more likely a part of our subconscious that connects us with the animals around us. The Aboriginal people were in close communion with the land and it's creatures, so why not show as such in artwork?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

On the site they mention that its very rare for these paintings to turn up with birds heads. They also mention that the Aboriginals say these are ancestral beings (spirit entities from the early days of the world)

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Okay, let's look at the geography of Australia pertaining to other continents. What is directly south of Australia? Antarctica, that's what. And what famous non flying bird is native to that region?

A penguin ladies and gentlemen.
That is what the drawings immediately reminded me of.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by yhtomit

the bird-headed creatures are a very rare find in the Sydney area.

Here's a really, really early example from Lascaux
entertainment.webshots.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Ok so, this has to do with UFOs & Aliens how? I vote move this to another forum.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Combining the images of humans with other creatures is too universal to consider it is suggesting interaction or common heritage.

Consider the martial arts where various animals styles are explored.

The seperation of man from other creatures conceptually is a fairly recent idea. When all creatures were on an equal footing in mans mind, and the superior attributes of each were admired, as qualities of an equal, then it only makes sense that a man might wish to acquire the other creatures virtue, and fuse the images.

This is the expression of a deep mystical heritage. Appreciate it for what it is and you will find instant wealth as a human.

If you seek to tie this to something else. You will miss something of great beauty, which is your heritage. An insight into the nature of what it means to be human.

Once there was no such thing as one thing being "like" another. In the mystical consciousness there is no "like". Something either is or is not.
The spirit of the individual merges with the spirit of the totem when the attribute is assumed by the individual.

To the individual they are become part bird part man. Poor us, if we witnessed the transformation, we could not see it with our modern eyes. While any of them could clearly see the transformation. We have lost the magic.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by Cyberbian]

top topics

join