It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama bad for kids' health

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Obama bad for kids' health

www.stuff.co.nz

Indonesian children have been warned: Barack Obama may be bad for your health.

An Indonesian consumer watchdog wants children in the Javan city of Bandung to steer clear of a potentially dangerous new local snack called Obama, which sports a cartoon of the US president on its packaging.

The Indonesian Consumer Foundation is concerned the snack, believed to be homemade for distribution in local markets, could be harmful because the packets also contain toy planes that are not wrapped separately.

"A lot of children won't be able to tell that that toy should not be eaten," a foundation spokeswoman, Sularsih, told AAP.

"There was an incident with another product which came with a marble, and some children ate the marble."

The foundation wants authorities to ban the snack.

The snack's packaging shows a grinning Obama giving a peace sign with one hand and spinning a globe, like a basketball, with the other.

Obama is extremely popular in Indonesia, where he spent four years as a child.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I'm not going to suggest the man had anything to do with it-I find it so much more likely that someone's using his image without permission. But bringing this to ATS' attention in case of splash when the news gets picked up in the US.

Perhaps someone should be checking in Kenya and perhaps even Hawaii for something similar to show up?

www.stuff.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I'm sorry but that is purely hilarious!!!

I for one will be watching intently for the news to broadcast this, probably won't until the morning news.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is hilarious...

Obama is bad for your health?

That is true on many levels.

Don't take Obama in too many doses.
It might cause brain damage.

Hehehehe. That sounds hilarious.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Why would there ever be a snack anywhere that has the picture of any president on it?
Has this happened before?
Anyone remember any other president gracing the packaging of a snack?

This creeps me out.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
Why would there ever be a snack anywhere that has the picture of any president on it?
Has this happened before?
Anyone remember any other president gracing the packaging of a snack?

This creeps me out.

Obama is extremely popular in Indonesia, where he spent four years as a child.

Also, a quick google search turned up this:

It's a popularity thing. People like Obama enough to endorse candy with his image. People hated bush enough to endorse candy with his image.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

The bushy candy is hilarious.
Still creeps me out to have a president on the packaging of something.
It could be me.
This idol worship thing never did sit well.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Idol worship is indeed a scary thing, but in this instance I think its more of a case of national pride than anything else. Obama lived in Indonesia for a time as a child, so he was partly raised there. Thus, the Indonesian people probably view Obama as at least part Indonesian, and as a result are proud of his accomplishments.

You probably won't see Obama candy in the US until his approval rating either skyrockets or plummets. In the latter case he'll end up like our old friend Bush.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Its all pretty funny. I think it was also great marketing. To bad they screwed it up with the plane.

Love the Broc Obama avatar

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I'll try to find some of these snacks and upload some pics =)

I wonder what kind of plane is inside

new topics

top topics

join