It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you forget previous conversation with friends?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This is something that has puzzle me for quite a while now. It puzzles me how some people don't have the ability of remembering what they have said during a previous encounter. For example, I have a friend that he would tell me something over the phone on Tuesday, then will see on the weekend and would tell me the same thing again then a week later would tell me the same thing AGAIN! Evertime saying it as if he has never told me once!

Also given the nature of my job, where I have to see people for more than one time for appointments, I have also notice that many people suffer from that. And I find myself listening to the same stories over and over...am I the only one who has experienced this?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I tell the same stories over and over but often forget that I've said things before
=(
Memory loss second to certain medications for migraines. Bummer.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Well I was wondering if it is some kind of medical condition that causes that. Sorry to hear that's you case though...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
ok. This is a big one for me. I TOTALLY relate. You see I remember what people tell me most times. Sometimes even word for word. Someone tells me something I usually PAY ATTENTION. It actually hurts my feelings when they don't remember that they talked to me about it, because I actually sincerely responded... and put some effort into the conversation. I feel a little slighted by it.
I have asked why people don't remember that we had this conversation, and I have been told that they tell the story to so many people they don't remember who they have told it to.
I do the same things at times, but usually when I think I have something new to add, or that the subject needs to be addressed again and rehashed.
But yes. It bugs me.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I do this! I forget things my buddies tell me, and then later they try to bring that stuff up; and I have no clue what they are talking about. Now, this is pretty much only when we are drinking, so; i think that is understandable.
On the other hand; my grandfather will tell everyone the same story over and over. Each time he adds little details that we didn't hear in previous iterations; but nonethelss, it gets repetitive. I mean he has told me about his greaser past at least 15 times.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Now the elderly thing is a bit different. There is a stage at the end of life where they are trying to make sense of the story of their lives and feel they have something to teach and offer. But yes... it is annoying. My grandfather told the the same lumbermill stories over and over and over. Funny... I bet I couldn't tell you that story.... I filed it under "BS"

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
ok. This is a big one for me. I TOTALLY relate. You see I remember what people tell me most times. Sometimes even word for word. Someone tells me something I usually PAY ATTENTION. It actually hurts my feelings when they don't remember that they talked to me about it, because I actually sincerely responded... and put some effort into the conversation. I feel a little slighted by it.
I have asked why people don't remember that we had this conversation, and I have been told that they tell the story to so many people they don't remember who they have told it to.
I do the same things at times, but usually when I think I have something new to add, or that the subject needs to be addressed again and rehashed.
But yes. It bugs me.

It is exactly how I feel, and I have received the same response from some of the people I have asked why they dont remember they have told me something before.

I pay attention to every conversation that I have to the point that like you said I remember some of them word by word. Now what I do in order to save me fromhearing stuff over and over I respecfully interrupt and said something like: Oh yeah I remember you told me.... and proceed from that point on.

And I think that since it bothers me so much I dont do it to people, if I'm not sure that I have told something to someone I usually start off by saying: Did I told you?....then if the person remembers then I stop or if I have anything to add proceed from that point on...

I dont know if it is me being petty, but I find it annoying and somewhat disrespectful

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I don't think it is just you. I think it says "when I talk to you it doesn't really matter to me, I am going to talk to everyone I meet about it...so what you say to me is pointless to remember" something like that.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I am very good at remembering a lot of details, it always amazes me when people don't remember things....

Also I hate it when somebody tells me something that somebody told them once, and I stand there amazed, because it was ME that told them that thing in the first place hahaha.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
yep, that one too, and when they tell you what you said.. and you have to say "No... I said....." because you remembered it word for word.

new topics

top topics

join