It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Purpose Driven Life (Christians)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My church gave a copy of this book to the entire congregation several years ago and I have yet to read it though I have a rekindled interest.

Has anyone here read it and followed the 40 day program?

What did you get from it and was it a positive experience?

[edit on 3/9/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
My girlfriend swears by it, she loves it and lives her life by it.

Me on the other hand, I couldn't get past the first chapter. It seems this guy just has an opinion and proclaims it as fact. He basically gives his view of how God rules the universe and provides nothing more than his standpoint. It just seems like something that is based on all the things I hate about organized religion: Another person telling you how to live.

Its terribly vein and ignorant to write this way, in my opinion. It takes itself as the answer instead of letting the reader find their own truths.

I recommend The Third Jesus. I am in no way Christian and still found a lot of great views in this book.. But then everything Deepak Chopra does is revered by me. Far less preachy, although not really along the same lines.

I tend to be a little too preachy myself, however, in that I urge everyone to live their lives and experience God in their own way, as he speaks to us all in changing ways.

My 1/50th of a dollar.

ETA: Sorry, I know you weren't looking for people who didn't get through the book (or even a 16th of it) but I thought I'd offer my opinion. Hope it helps in some way!

[edit on 3/9/09 by SantaClaus]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply but it's a bible based Christian book written by a Christian for Christians....so as a Christian, I'm looking for a Christian point of view.

Christian, Christian Christian...had to get three more in. LOL

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I read it a couple years ago but did not follow the forty day program. I thought it was a good read and offered worthwhile insight into living as a Christian in today's world. I can't recall anything specific to relate, though.

Have you read "Experiencing God" by Henry Blackabee? I highly recommend it.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Have you read "Experiencing God" by Henry Blackabee? I highly recommend it.

No I haven't, I'll find it online and maybe pick it up. Thanks for the recommendation.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

This won't be of much help since I own two copies I haven't even read yet. However, the feedback I've received has been split 50/50 by Christians who either love it and advise me to quit stalling and read it and those who tell me not to touch it with a 50 foot pole.

After briefly skimming parts of it, it looked just fine to me but then there are those who say it is very 'the power of the self' oriented and consists of false doctrine.

HERE is an article on RR concerning the book. It's not very favorable. They have a few more articles about it, too. Then there are those who swear it changed their life for the better and they'll never go back.

I have no personal opinion since I've never read it in full or did the 40 days. All I know is after doing some quick skims, there was nothing bad about it. Most people who have issues with it claim it doesn't focus on prophecy enough but that's not really fair, IMHO. The genre isn't about prophecy. Sorry I can't be of much help. My reading list is a mile long. lol

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
When something like The Purpose Driven Life becomes such a massive best seller, it sends up a red flag for me. I hope that makes sense.

It seems today that everyone is looking for some sort of spiritual direction in regard to their life and walk. The problem I see with The Purpose Driven Life is that it is taking the initiative, by laying out a plan for everyone to follow, when in actuality, as far as spiritual growth is concerned, the Holy Spirit will not have everyone on the same course at the same time and very well works differently within each individual’s life.

As good as Rick Warren’s intentions may have been in devising this book, it is really placing trust in a man’s ideal in achieving what only God can bring about by way of the Holy Spirit. Rick Warren may tell me to go left and the Holy Spirt is nudging me to go right. Who do I listen to?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Has anyone here read it and followed the 40 day program?

I went through a 40 day program by Rick Warren two years ago.

Before going through the program, I knew nothing about Rick Warren, but after (and during it) I began to despise what Rick Warren teaches.

I still do.

I have no problem recommending him to people, though. I basically say, "Feel free to go through the course. If you don't despise what he is teaching, you really need to study your Bible more..."

I suppose it isn't so much what he "says", but it is what he leaves OUT (doesn't say).

I take that back...it is both.

2 Peter 2:1-2 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.

Rick Warren is very clever and his approach is quite subtle...but not undetectable by students of the Bible. Rick Warren mostly (it seems) appeals to those who carry a Bible to the local church house, but rarely study it.

If any of you would like some of the "details" of what I discovered about his teaching, feel free to ask.

Again, I want to add that if any of you are serious students of the Bible, then attending a Rick Warren course (they are something like 90 minutes, once a week, for 6 weeks, or so...) it is a perfect opportunity to:

Jude 3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Why? Well...verse 4 tells us:

Jude 4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

I guess I wouldn't go to one unless I was invited, but if I was invited, I'd go.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Most people who have issues with it claim it doesn't focus on prophecy enough but that's not really fair, IMHO. The genre isn't about prophecy.

That isn't my complaint at all.

I briefly skimmed through the article you linked to and the writer still doesn't quite "get it".

Rick Warren leaves no room for 1 Cor 5 (the whole chapter).
Rick Warren seems to CONTRADICT Jesus in the parable of the "Good Samaritan". (Luke 10: 25-37)
Rick Warren values "quantity" over "quality". (Matt 22:14 For many are called, but few are chosen.)

AshleyD, (others are free to participate!)
I have a quiz for you. (It's a fun quiz...don't worry...)

I am going to quote a Bible verse from the Rick Warren course I took. Let us see if anyone can find this verse in the Bible.

OK?

Here it is:
"Go after a life of love as if your life depended upon it--because it does."

Where is this verse found in the Bible?

Hint #1: It is in the New Testament.
Hint #2: It is the first verse in a chapter.

Let me know if anyone wants more hints.

:>)

[edit on 12-3-2009 by PreTribGuy]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PreTribGuy

Well, is it I Corinthians 14:1 ?

What do I win? Anything good? I hope so!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jdposey

Well, is it I Corinthians 14:1 ?

Close, but incorrect. I need you to be PRECISE!

:>)

(Oh, and extra credit for the "version" he used...)

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Okay, as for being precise, what, the whole verse? As for extra credit, I do not like the "Message Bible" but this seems to be a Message Bible quote.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jdposey

Okay, as for being precise, what, the whole verse?

(This is me being being sarcastic

You mean there is MORE to the verse? I am CERTAIN that Rick Warren insists that there is no more to that verse, at all!

He pretty much says that 1 Cor 14:1 says only this. I am not aware that there is MORE to this verse.

I can't believe this!

I am pretty sure that I quoted the whole verse. I'm looking RIGHT AT the book and it says that the verse I quoted is 1 Cor 14:1 and NOT 1 Cor 14:1A!

The book I have in front of me has this Scripture reference in two places on these two pages. There "is" no more (part "b") to this verse!

In both places, on BOTH pages he CLEARLY wrote that 1 Cor 14:1 (from the Message) says ONLY this!

There IS no part "b" of 1 Cor 14:1, otherwise WHY would he have told us there was a part "b" when he quoted THREE OTHER verses (on the same pages) as THUS:

1 Cor 13:2B
1 Cor 13:3B
1 John 4:16B

???

Can you EXPLAIN THAT???

(off sarcasm)

When I saw, in the very first meeting, that Rick Warren was being dishonest with Scripture (not knowing him) I immediately became suspect of him.

THANK YOU for participating in my quiz, jposey.

You "win" a "star"

For the "extra credit" answer, I will share a question we were to "consider" on page 47:

On page 47 of the course book I have, Rick Warren asks this:

"Will anybody be in Heaven because of you?"

Please note the subtlety he uses?

My (admittedly disgusted and sarcastic) answer was another question:

"Will anyone be in HELL because of you?"

Yuck!

I am just perusing through this guy's terrible questions and I'm still revolted at them.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jdposey

As for extra credit, I do not like the "Message Bible" but this seems to be a Message Bible quote.

Yes, you are correct.

I don't like "The Message", either. I try to read it and I go, "yuck".

STILL...I think that any Bible will do...in a pinch.

Psalm 68:11 The Lord gave the word: great was the company of those that published it.

posted on Mar, 20 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

This philosophy has been grasped at and is being used in the plans of the new world order to basically destroy Christianity. I see it being forced on my own church by its devotees. It has a record of dividing churches in the guise of creating harmony. It is a deception and is the most dangerous thing facing true religion at this time.

[edit on 20-3-2009 by jmdewey60]

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

hello

As Christians we should noty be interested in our lives in the respoect of what we can get out of it. I started this book after a friend gave it too me, she thought it was great. IMHO thebook wants us to adopt a selfish attitude and scripture was taken out of context all the time.

david

join