It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenage boys who eat fish at least once a week achieve higher intelligence scores

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Teenage boys who eat fish at least once a week achieve higher intelligence scores

www.eurekalert.org

Fifteen-year-old males who ate fish at least once a week displayed higher cognitive skills at the age of 18 than those who it ate it less frequently, according to a study of nearly 4,000 teenagers published in the March issue of Acta Paediatrica.

Eating fish once a week was enough to increase combined, verbal and visuospatial intelligence scores by an average of six per cent, while eating fish more than once a week increased them by just under 11 per cent.

Swedish researchers compared the responses of 3,972 males who took part in the survey with the cognitive scores recorded in their Swedish Military Conscription records three years later.

"We found a clear link between frequent fish consumption and higher scores when the teenagers ate fish at least once a week" says Professor Kjell Torén from the Sahlgrenska Academy at the University of Gothenburg, one of the senior scientists involved in the study. "When they ate fish more than once a week the improvement almost doubled.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I remember when I was a kid my Grandmother would tell me to eat my fish and she always called it "Brain food". Seems to me she might have been onto something.

I also read alot of sites about food supplements and I have noticed recently an increase in talk about fish oil. The question is then what in fish caused this increase in intelligence and is it in Fish oil?

www.eurekalert.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Certain fish are rich in phosphor which is needed for energy transmition in our cells, including central neural cells. Also their oil has certain types of fatty acids (like omega 3 family) which is needed for all construction/maintenance of all cells, including our central neural system.
Since that central neural system (brain and stuff) uses a lot of energy and often reshapes neural pathways (or creates new neurons) it is better to have those ingredients in our diet. Not a 100 percent wonder-medicine, like commercial machine is trying to present. Slightly beneficial and thus can be considered if money is not a problem.
By the way - it is not all types of fish. And also if you are interested - try to find good manufacturer that insures that oil is free from toxins like heavy metals and such. We polluted oceans a lot and those toxins are in fish too.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I guess thats why they call it brainfood.
Cough 2 lines.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
gotta love the fish

One liner

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Mmmm, mercury is delicious!
Just kidding.
I have never liked fish. I used to eat fish sticks when i was a young 'un; but i can't stand the taste now. So i will just be resigned to being less intelligent than fish eaters.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by floppynoodleson666
Mmmm, mercury is delicious!
Just kidding.
I have never liked fish. I used to eat fish sticks when i was a young 'un; but i can't stand the taste now. So i will just be resigned to being less intelligent than fish eaters.

You think fish sticks are made of FISH????? HAHAHAH.

Didn't you ever see that 70's movie with Charleton Heston?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Are you referencing Soilent Green?
"Soilent Green is PEOPLE! Its PEOPLE!!!!"
Hahaha.
Chuck Heston was a grand actor.

top topics

join