It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No more ISP in SitX possibility.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
When or if SitX comes, and government breaks down, I am sure ISP's will breakdown and cease to exist. What is an average person to do for breaking news as our internet now is our main source.

I have heard of Seattle wireless Seattle wireless using peoples wireless routers and custom antennas as a network without being on the ISP gird. Could this be the future of communication after ISP's shut down in sitX ? .

If ISP's shut down I'm sure MSM AM/FM radio will shut down as well.
Would it be a smart thing to start our pirated wireless networks now ?

I often wonder what kind of state of mind the public will be in when the internet is gone and every internet junky is going through withdrawals.

Any tips or thoughts on the building of wireless networks in preparation of sitX. ?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I was rummaging in my father's attic the other day and came across some of his 2-ways and old CB gear.

It's the first time I've made a real mental note of what he has.

As for t'interweb, perhaps modem-2-modem over phone lines but I haven't really looked into it. I will when I'm not about to hit the hay.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
while out of power locally here a few weeks ago, i came to realise what a huge problem the loss of internet would be.

i know quite a bit about RF transmission and network connectivity. (my internet is provided over the air.) in a true SitX, i would have no problem going to the ISP hub and reconnecting it myself.

what i mean to say is that i believe communications would be re-established fairly quickly in such an incident. it is necessity.

edit to add:

OP is correct that an ISP is merely a convenience, as networks can definitely be started and managed locally. the internet will NEVER die (so long as resources are available).

[edit on 9-3-2009 by tgidkp]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Setting up an 'off the grid' wireless computer network sounds good but it would require the cooperation of a fairly large number of people. Generally, the wireless networks us normal people deal with are low powered and short range. You would need to coordinate all those involved to be able to have any kind of decent coverage. If it is you purpose to gather news, I assume you mean beyond your neighborhood. Otherwise you could just hop on a bicycle and go have a look yourself. Anything beyond would be difficult to maintain. Think of trying to get only 25 - 50 people to agree on something, then follow through with it AND maintain it. That would cover a few blocks, or a neighborhood. Then in a sitX, depending on the type, you would be dealing with any number of difficulties. Power outages, illness, fleeing people, etc...

Not to sound like a commercial for amateur radio but....

Study and get your amateur radio (ham) license. Get your tech license, learn a little then get your general. In a situation where the internet is taken down we would also see cell phones useless and probably the regular POTS phone system either down or severely overloaded.

CB radio is only reliable for short distance communications. A few miles usually. It is possible to reach farther but not reliably.

Handheld radios such as FRS, GMRS or business radios are only line of sight communications. A few miles at best. Pretty much any radios that operate at VHF or higher frequencies are not good for long distance communication. There are exceptions but the systems are set up for that specific purpose. Your not going to run around with a handheld talking to someone 20 miles away without some sort of infrastructure or repeaters supporting it. They are good for keeping tabs of what's going on in your immediate neighborhood though.

Amateur radio can fill the void when the other systems fail. You can reliably communicate over many hundreds, or thousands of miles. You can hook up a computer to your radio with simple interfaces and transmit data. Communicate through satellites, set up a positioning system to track each other, for whatever reason, etc... There is a lot you can do. Some people have the image of an old man tapping morse code in a cigar smoke filled room, and they are still out there, but there have been many advances.

The tests are pretty easy with a minimal amount of study. The equipment can get a little expensive but you can get inexpensive radios and shop the used market for deals. Learn enough and you can build you own radios for emergency, or everyday use. The antenna is really the important part anyway and much easier to build for very little. A so so radio with a really good antenna will always be better than the best radio in the world with a crappy antenna.

And to relate to the OP, the knowledge gained with ham radio would apply to any endeavor to set up autonomous wireless computer networks. Whether sending voice or data, the principles of radio communications are the same.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by Primordial]

top topics

join