It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Saudis order 40 lashes for elderly woman for mingling

page: 1
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Saudis order 40 lashes for elderly woman for mingling


edition.cnn.com

(CNN) -- A Saudi Arabian court has sentenced a 75-year-old Syrian woman to 40 lashes, four months imprisonment and deportation from the kingdom for having two unrelated men in her house, according to local media reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Fahd told the policeman that he had the right to be there, because Sawadi had breast-fed him as a baby and was therefore considered to be a son to her in Islam, according to Al-Watan. Fahd, 24, added that his friend Hadian was escorting him as he delivered bread for the elderly woman. The policeman then arrested both men.


Just wow, she's 75, she gets 40 lashes and 4 months in a Saudi jail... And her crime? Having 2 men drop some bread around to her home.

She says that in the eye of the law the older of the 2 men is her 'son' as she breast fed him as a baby - and the younger man was a friend helping to deliver bread.

What kind of sick society gives an old lady 40 lashes for having 2 people who are not blood relatives but none the less well known and presumably trusted come to her house? We need more people in western countries poping round to see elderly neighbours! But In Saudi it's seriously the wrong thing to do.

What a world.



edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)



posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then
 





"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." Nobel Prize-winning physicist , Steven Weinberg


It is abhorrent , and a great many people people regard this as exceptable. An aspect of a culture can get locked into some ,fixed snap shot , of a zeitgeist long gone.
Once slavery/racism/sexism were exceptable to mankind , but the zietgeist of our age swept these out moded notions aside.
Anything anchored to an ageing book , does not have the dynamism to respond to our evolution as a social animal .



posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
And yet Saudi is a staunch US and UK (to a lesser extent) ally.

I hear and see a lot of people condemning terrorism (rightly) and Islam in general (wrongly IMO) but through it all, I rarely see any condemnation of Saudi.

Could this possibly be because western MSM chooses NOT to tell us about the darker side of this supposed ally in the mid east?

Is political expediency more important than the truth about one of the most repressive regimes in the world?

If the US and UK were to apply the same criteria to Saudi as they do to Iraq and Iran, there would be tanks on the streets of Riyadh right now.

the Saudi version of the Koran is the most radical version, with little or no tolerance - but of course we never hear about that.

And of course it has nothing to do with oil...



posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then
 


thats one low point of the way Saudi is ruled.


The womans like a mother to him as pointed out
for Muslims Heaven lies at the feat of the mother and father. (keep them happy and its their duty to help them,)





www.islamcanada.com...

O Messenger of Allaah! Who from amongst mankind warrants the best companionship from me. He replied: "Your mother." The man asked: Then who? So he replied: "Your mother." The man asked: Then who? So the Prophet replied again: "Your mother." The man then asked: Then who? So he replied: "Then your father." So this necessitates that the mother is given three times the likes of kindness and good treatment than the father.



posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I believe the answer to mankind is perception!

Untl we start looking at everyone in this planet as individuals we will always be in a state of hate/terror/war and so on.

this news is horrible, but corruption is corruption.
I hope this doesn't turn in into an anti-muslim thread(no i'm not muslim)

this is wrong, lashing an elderly or young woman for stupid religious reasons is wrong, police brutality against skateboarders is wrong, cops beating up cyclers in that critical mass event, or the teddy bear issue being called mohammed in sudan, these are all wrong.
though their reasons for being wrong may differ, they all need to be dealt with.



posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
We're allied to Saudi Arabia for only one reason - oil. Each country has it's own right to run itself it's own way, based on whatever religion and whatever laws it deems proper and necessary. It's not our place to tell Saudi Arabia that this is an affront to humanity and order them to stop, but we can show them that we disapprove by rejecting our oil partnership with them, no matter how badly we need the oil.

It may not be right for us to tell other countries how to govern themselves but that doesn't mean we have to approve of it, either. Of course, this would require our government to do the "right thing" for once.



posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Bastards.

To hit an old woman stoops a new low.



posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then



Fahd told the policeman that he had the right to be there, because Sawadi had breast-fed him as a baby and was therefore considered to be a son to her in Islam, according to Al-Watan. Fahd, 24, added that his friend Hadian was escorting him as he delivered bread for the elderly woman. The policeman then arrested both men.


Just wow, she's 75, she gets 40 lashes and 4 months in a Saudi jail... And her crime? Having 2 men drop some bread around to her home.

She says that in the eye of the law the older of the 2 men is her 'son' as she breast fed him as a baby - and the younger man was a friend helping to deliver bread.

What kind of sick society gives an old lady 40 lashes for having 2 people who are not blood relatives but none the less well known and presumably trusted come to her house? We need more people in western countries poping round to see elderly neighbours! But In Saudi it's seriously the wrong thing to do.

What a world.



edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)


Yeah well, go take that up with your political leaders and lodge a formal trial for human rights violation. Then again people tend to call America evil and barbaric, what a joke.



posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The part that has been skipped is this:


Al Watan obtained the court's verdict and reported that it was partly based on the testimony of the religious police. In his ruling, the judge said it had been proved that Fahd is not the Sawadi's son through breastfeeding.



According to the courts, she never actually breasfed him. Though I don't know how they determined all that.

So either party could be lying. She and the men could be lying to get out of trouble.

It is sad either way. But that is the rules of their society.



posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
The part that has been skipped is this:


Al Watan obtained the court's verdict and reported that it was partly based on the testimony of the religious police. In his ruling, the judge said it had been proved that Fahd is not the Sawadi's son through breastfeeding.



According to the courts, she never actually breasfed him. Though I don't know how they determined all that.

So either party could be lying. She and the men could be lying to get out of trouble.

It is sad either way. But that is the rules of their society.


Exactly what I was trying to say - it's not up to us to dictate how they run their society. What the U.S. can do, however, is dissolve our oil partnership in protest of such events on the basis that it violates basic human rights and civility.



posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
One more reason to fully oppose the spread of Islam and Shari law from leaving the middle east. Keep that export there please, the civilized world doesn't need to be reduced to such barbarianism.



posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Its just sad to see how the needs of countries like ours impedes from protesting this kind of treatments to any human beings. Hopefully ine day we our going to be able to stand on our own again so we can have more leverage when situations like this present themselves.



posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Whore!

Honestly. 75? Everyone knows that's a woman's randiest age, when she is an irresistible siren to men of all ages, races and persuasions.

Honestly, I don't know what the world is coming to when old women are allowed to mingle with young men!



posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Though I don't know how they determined all that.


I read that earlier and was wondering about that, too. Possibly due to other witness testimony like the man's biological mother or perhaps if the age differences between her and the man is extreme, she would not have been of the proper age to have breast fed him.

Either way, this is ridiculously stupid. They were taking bread to an elderly woman. To me that is not a crime but an act of kindness. What a screwed up society to violently prosecute them. What exactly is supposed to happen in the event elderly widows are living alone in a backwards country like this? Or is this the reason so many women were dying of starvation in the streets after Islamic extremists took over and the women were forbidden to work or support themselves.



posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   
What ever the case, if it wasn't for the oil these camel jokeys would have still been living in tents. I mean, how sick can a society be and were all discussing issue's of alien and ufo disclosure and its impact on modern society.

Has anyone informed those society's that the human race is on the verge of colonizing another planet, do they have the ability to grasp such a concept ?. Or perhaps when its finally revealed that we do have interplanetary relations they will commit mass suicide?.

Just makes sick to the core that these camel jockeys are in the U.N. due to their oil reserves. But hey as we all know, they only have another 25-50 years of oil reserves left. This is why they are turning that baron area into a tourist attraction.



posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
This is why they are turning that baron area into a tourist attraction.


Yes. Indeed. First place I'd want to go on my holidays: the Dark Ages!



posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

Originally posted by tristar
This is why they are turning that baron area into a tourist attraction.


Yes. Indeed. First place I'd want to go on my holidays: the Dark Ages!


Hi there, well i do fly into dubai about every 2 months for work related, i can tell you that those rules only apply to the illiterate and poor. The amount of wealth and lets not forget the tax haven this country is, is phenomenally unbelievable. Its why i always quote them as camel jockeys and when the oild does run dry, i can see that the Monarchy system will be over thrown.
I mean lets be realistic, this is the only country in the world who is named after a family name.



posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming
 


I lived in Beirut and saw a man come into a university dorm and beat his sister up in front of the dorm mothers and the female students. This was done to protect the family honor because she had dated a man without her family's approval.

Another woman had to drop out of school to marry a man her family wanted her to wed.

It was not infrequent that women would be killed to protect the family honor, little
or no sentencing would occur for the guilty party.

It was interesting to note that some contemporary Middle Eastern gals had their

(ahem! word DELETED!)

fixed to look like they were virgins, an operation I just had not heard of in the good ole
USA!



posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthShine
reply to post by YouAreDreaming
 


I lived in Beirut and saw a man come into a university dorm and beat his sister up in front of the dorm mothers and the female students. This was done to protect the family honor because she had dated a man without her family's approval.

Another woman had to drop out of school to marry a man her family wanted her to wed.

It was not infrequent that women would be killed to protect the family honor, little
or no sentencing would occur for the guilty party.

It was interesting to note that some contemporary Middle Eastern gals had their

(ahem! word DELETED!)

fixed to look like they were virgins, an operation I just had not heard of in the good ole
USA!



Not sure how i should react to this, although i have seen similar sh@t going on in Turkey. Honestly, its why all these people will do anything in order for them to reach a country such the U.S. Australia or U.K. or major E.U. nations. Seriously now, these society are not beneficial for the evolution of the human race. I am trying to imagine the scene of the girl being attacked because of honor, totally sickens me.



new topics

top topics



 
3
<<   2 >>

log in

join