It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK - Why Were People So Much Happier In The 1990's

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If your anything like me you would have noticed thing's are just not the same anymore and you often here people talking about the "good old days" which makes me think something went terribly wrong somewhere along the line.
If you think so too then where, how & when do you think it all went wrong? or do you think maybe our happiness has been slowly declining over the past century?

As shown in this link here.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by paulcottrell84

Good Ol' Days..?

The 70's seemed quite different than today...we used to leave our front door unlocked at night; a few different families in the neighborhood even knew where the 'hide-a-key' was.

As for anytime before that - I'd say the 30's and 40's seemed to have much more Social Capital than any other time in History...the concept of Community and Civic Mindfulness seemed to be at an all time high then.

That to me that is the Good Ol' Days...and you may find that each member has their own idea as to what defines that.

All the more reason to appreciate this site...

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It's just the common progression of a failed empire that has rejected the source of it's blessing, God the father, God the son and God the Holy Spirit. Once God is thrown out all of his blessings are thrown out as well. It's time to just sink into your violent impoverished islamic hell hole.

The process is repeating in the US and in most of the other Western nations. China is rising simply because it has a very large and faithful christian population, even if they are heavily persecuted. Of course the satanic influences of this fallen world will prevent most from seeing how God judges the world. Despite the obvious correlations, nations will ignore the fact that their fates depend on how they treat christians and jews.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Well i think it was when the government started clamping down on raves, warehouse parties and the like....

The youth suddenly had no other way of burning of their steam, apart from licensed venues, were people would all suddenly pour out the pubs at 2am and start fighting.....

The government began 'nannying' everyone as though they knew what was best for us. Little did they know that suddenly thousands upon thousands of people began feeling a tad oppressed and made to look like fools.

Oh and in the 90's 'reality tv' didn't really exist, so people weren't as glued to their televisions as much.

And we didn't have half as many CCTV camera's watching our every move, our calls and emails weren't monitored, we weren't bombarded with internet filth....

So many other reasons....

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
This one is easy and I guess I'm the most qualified to answer this question... so listen up...
1980- GB#1 was president while Regan slept for 8 years.
1990- Clinton America's Number One Drug Dealer for the CIA. So, he just continued the game plan to bring America to her knees...

1990's was when they opend the flood gate to put the world on a consumption trip after they crashed Japan in the 80's.

that consumption fueled the final chapter in computer development.
in 1999 for the first time in history we had a computer faster than a humans need for a computer goal was reached and perfected before the end of the tech bubble.

Exodus Communications was the sign post to keep all of the CEO's of the same page in Silicon Valley ... every day they drove by Exodus and Exodus liked changing their Logo color... when I first saw them they were green, after they hired me - I noted the logo was yellow and about 6 weeks before the tech crash was underway they changed their logo to RED. 3 months after that they were toast and so was the Tech Rally.

they took the 10 trillion from that crash and financed a global corruption campaign and it appears to have been successful. The Arabs enjoyed 150 dollar oil but they had to assume $80 a barrel was the norm -- we all know you cant by a tank of gasoline in America for $4 a gallon and some other counties gasoline was selling pennies a gallon.... so that got me investigating and come to find out this a British Empire issue -vs- a global energy crisis like we have been lied too... and well that plus the money from 911 .... well guys they are smart and we are dumb.
the only way for us to win.... is to REFOUND America.... unfortunately - they are the Captain and we are just the crew... we dont choose where we are going - because this is not a democracy under a republic... but a fascist state with a DICKtator.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by paulcottrell84

My first impression was confirmed in the article:

What comes top of the list are family relationships, close support, feeling of belonging, which was much more prevalent in the 1930s. And personal and spiritual values, these are very important.

A decrease in general family values, morals, and spirituality.

On a more scientific level rather social level, as a society we are less active, receive less sun exposure, and eat less healthily. Long term, any one of these can result in a feeling of unhappiness but since we're often faced with all three at the same time, it's bound to compound the problem.

Another portion of the article reminds me of an email that is frequently sent around:

"Nowadays people have a better health care system, they're earning more, 96% have a colour television and 98% have access to their own bath. But our expectations are greater."

The email goes something like, 'We have more food but we're hungrier for nutrition. We have more money but we're poorer in values. We have more family members but less intimacy, etc. (phrased more eloquently than what I am going from memory).'

Even though our lives have more gadgets that make life easier, we seem to have nothing but less time and a more hectic lifestyle. More distractions, more 'to-dos,' more chaos and stress. The technological advances that are supposed to make life easier can often times make life more harmful.

For instance, the microwave is a wonderful invention but that might possibly make one more prone to eat TV dinners instead of a home cooked meal. It's nice to toss our clothes into a dryer instead of hanging them out to dry outside but we lack that exercise and sun exposure to boot.

Little things like that add up. That's not including the conspiracy theories like what exactly is placed in our food, medicine, cosmetics, water supply, etc., that could be interfering with our moods and wellbeing.

It's possibly a combination of social decay and lack of physical activity. Instead of right vs. wrong, we rally for criminal rights. Instead of taking a walk at sunset, we plop in front of the television.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Well, I don't know about the UK but in the US I don't remember the 90s as being a particularly "happy" time for most people I knew. Maybe some dot-commers were getting fake-rich on startup options and writing self-congradulatory articles and web-pages about how awesome life was, but I was never part of that scene and I don't think ultimately it touched that many lives. I got a sense of pessimism and insecurity in the 90s from most people around me. Much more so than the 80s or 70s, IMHO.

I think in the US, the 90s was when a feeling of long-term hopelessness and dispair about the future seemed to sink into the "alternative scene" and bleed into even mainstream culture for a lot of people. Job security became a lot flimsier, and the dismantling of the social safety net that began under Reagan really began to show. There were a lot more "tattered ends" apparent in society...you had scruffy drifters and bevis-and-butthead wastoids on display on a mass level. These days, of course, the wolf is really at the door and things are even grimmer for an even larger slice of society, but still looking back I don't see the 90s as some kind of golden age. More the beginning of the downward process that is currently going parabolic.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Well, I don't know about the UK but in the US I don't remember the 90s as being a particularly "happy"

I wasn't even born back then, not until 84 so the 90's was my growing up days that I miss so much.

I do here alot of story's about how fantastic the 70's and 80's and do love alot of music from that era and when I look at old video's from then I even feel that I missed out on all the good stuff. lol

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
p.s "lol" is one little word I can't stand' but I find myself using it for some reason. I find it funny how you can pic up on silly little thing's like that without even noticing. I remember back in the 90's when "lol" was something put at the end of a note to a loved one meaning 'Lots Of Love,' and then a few years later, all of a sudden it mean's 'laugh out loud'. why not haha

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I do not live in the UK, but I can answer your question. It all started when the Cameras came on every street corner and they took your guns.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I think it generally has to do with the stress we have to cope with today. Even if you dont think you are under any you would be amazed at how much you go through, thing is youve got used to it and accept it as the norm these days which slowly chips away at your genaral wellbeing almost hidden from you.
With employers pushing tighter schedules and for better efficiency from less people, increased production with smaller budgets, new health & safety laws, EU laws coming in its made the workplace one stressful place to be.

Simple answer is that people are taking this home with them & its causing us to become a nation of depressed, disatisfied folk & is causing all kinds of problems in society & the family.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Well i think it was when the government started clamping down on raves, warehouse parties and the like....

The youth suddenly had no other way of burning of their steam, apart from licensed venues, were people would all suddenly pour out the pubs at 2am and start fighting.....

The government began 'nannying' everyone as though they knew what was best for us. Little did they know that suddenly thousands upon thousands of people began feeling a tad oppressed and made to look like fools.

Oh and in the 90's 'reality tv' didn't really exist, so people weren't as glued to their televisions as much.

And we didn't have half as many CCTV camera's watching our every move, our calls and emails weren't monitored, we weren't bombarded with internet filth....

So many other reasons....

If I could I'd give you all the stars in the world for that because that's exactly how I see it. I remember the day when you could go and enjoy yourself at a good out-door rave without a care in the world, and now you'll be lucky if you find one, and even if you did ' you can guarantee the police will be there before ya searching everybody's pockets for drugs.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Why wouldnt they be happier? Its all about expectations.. Now you expect the best, the newest, the biggest to be given to you.

At the hospital or doctors office people expect alot, like beeing treated of course, but also expect a good experience while there, they expect them to smile at you and treat you like you're special. Before they were happy if they were lucky enough to even get to see a doc.

You expect your kids to go to a perfect school, with perfect teachers and peers, everything is supposed to be perfect.. this is the future talked about in the past, in commercials on black and white tv and magazines, right?

In the past kids went to school, and you were happy to leave it at that. They had SCHOOL
That was mayor... to get an education.
Now they gotta have cola dispensors and fries (at least) to have studends even concider attending that school.

They wanted to build something big, something good: our country, our new, modern perfect world. People were realy united, and if i know one thing, it is that if your given lots of love from everyone, you get happier. And there was no lack of feel good music, shows and movies either.. and that probably helped.

Well now we're here, in the world they built us.. crawing and crawing.. and complaining when we recive.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiredamerican
I do not live in the UK, but I can answer your question. It all started when the Cameras came on every street corner and they took your guns.

Mate, you don't need a gun to be happy.
That sounds like American talk.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hi paulcottrell84, I live in Scotland and am 62 years of age. My personal view is that the years between 1960 and 1970 were the happiest. We had really good music at that time that was very slow and relaxing, and made you feel good with yourself. I personally find music since then to be too frenetic, and suspect that this causes a lot of the 'out of Pub ' fights we are all seeing in the UK at present as it seems to cause testosterone levels to rise and promote aggression. I could be however, just an old fart

Finally as an example to compare to today, in 1966 i lived in a small Village about 10 miles outside Glasgow. I owned a shotgun at that time and used to regularly shoot rabbits around 8pm to dusk in the summer, after consuming a few pints in the Pub before it closed at 10PM. I would skin and dress these rabbits and give them to elderly neighbours, who would make them into a nourishing stew the next day.

I am sorry to say that if I tried to shoot rabbits today in these circumstances, assuming I had got the required and hard to get Licence for a shotgun, I would be surrounded by the Armed Response Unit and have a Chopper circling overhead within minutes. In conclusion, we were happier because we were allowed to live our lives without Government intervention. That's my take on things friend.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Thank you for your views big gee, I agree on everything you said, its nice to see views coming from a good old fashioned Scotsman. haha ('
')
I think the hard house & techno days are long gone now -thank g-d- but now seems to have been replaced with so called "black music" that kids these days seem to love so much.

I would really have loved to have been around when people actually used real musical instrument to make music, instead of just knocking something up in 10 minutes on some stupid computer program.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by paulcottrell84]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by

Sorry wiredamerican, I have to agree with mr-lizard on this one, I personally can't recall any good time's involving weaponry. I agree with what you said about the CCTV though.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I also have to reference the music of the decades. I think popular music is a reflection of society to some degree. I was born in the 60's and grew up in the 70-80's. I see the late 60's into the 70's with lots of free love and colors, but an undertone of rebellion and protest, thanks to the vietnam war.

The peace/love music reflected this and was the start of the rebellion, which ended in the late 70's with the ultimate angry protest against the "man". Punk.

As always people got over it or simply got tired of complaining and along came disco. People started to have fun again and ignore the worlds problems. The 80's was a perfect reflection of that. Almost all of the music was "happy".

Disco, pop, funk, rock, new wave, romantic, dance etc. Even as metal started to gain popularity with the NWBHM it wasn't really angry music it was history, and D&D based(with the odd devil references for effect). And the glam was all about partying and girls and fast cars, along with the beginning of rap.

When the 90's hit, it was like suddenly we started to pay attention to the world again. The fun and good times music suddenly stopped. And people like Kurt Cobain emerged bringing back the negative outlook on society
and the "man" politics etc.

Rap continued this trend, reflecting the "projects" lifestyle or gun toting behaviour. No longer were people singing about going to a party and meeting sexy women. It was about killing cops and getting bling and of course ho's.

I feel we are now completely lost musically, which I believe is a reflection of the world currently. Our "hero's" are wanna be gangsters, Brain dead plastic people from hollywood, completely manufactured by suits in dark rooms, and corporate scum bags. Our society today is just one big seething pot of immorality and self gratification. This is feeding a desperate need for something to happen, something to save us from oursleves from our own self destruction......... enter internet conspiracy forums.

Sorry for the doom and gloom lol!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Heck yeah I miss the 90's! who doesnt?! if your like me and grew up in the 90's and early 2000s, you probably miss it. Just like the kids in the 70's miss those times.

But the music was a blast in the 90s and there seemed like there was something new and exciting around every corner. A technological revolution every 10 seconds!

here are some reminders of the 90s:

Sorry for so much Aqua!

www.clevver.com...

^ Dreams in Digital

Awesome video^

But this doesnt even scratch the surface! I am still finding GREAT songs that were made in the 90's! it was just a fantastic and exciting time.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
I agree with everything said here by everybody' except needing guns to have a good time, I suppose a day out up the woods shooting game would be fun, but that's about it. Not for protection!

I think people here in the UK generally trust the government, and I don't really see any real reason not to, to me, our government has always served the interest of it's people. e.g NHS, JSA, Housing benefit, Child support, Sure start, Tax credits, and much more, plus emergency services. All for free! That's if you don't pay any tax that is. haha, bear in mind if you haven't got a job how can you? exactly you cant but you still get it all for free!

Originally posted by PowerSlave
Rap continued this trend, reflecting the "projects" lifestyle or gun toting behaviour. No longer were people singing about going to a party and meeting sexy women. It was about killing cops and getting bling and of course ho's.

Dr Dre came str8 outta kompton [snip] lol

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 12-3-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join