It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank you Mr. President and.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
..Speaker Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Reid. Why!

The Friends of the NRA committee that I am on had a great banquet this year.

We made $7,750 more dollars for the youth shooting sports above last year.

Our banquet grew by almost 150 people in attendance.

Did you know that Obama and crew are the gun sales people of the year?

So another thank you to the leaders of the free world.

Roper

[edit on 9-3-2009 by Roper]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
You mean the same Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi that announced they didn't support renewal of the AWB?

Yeah, people have been making a lot of money stoking people's fears, I'm not sure that's something to be proud of

I've actually let my NRA membership lapse, I was sick of hearing scare stories about Obama. The NRA seems more interested in fearmongering, partisan political backscratching, and fundraising lately than they actually are in defending my Second Amendment rights, so I've stopped giving them money.

It's sad, because I'll miss getting my American Rifleman magazine every month, and I won't be able to shock people by showing them the ACLU and NRA cards side by side in my wallet anymore

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
You mean the same Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi that announced they didn't support renewal of the AWB?

How do you tell if a politician is lying? Their lips are moving.
Pelosi has tried for years to get more gun control. Why believe her now?

Roper

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Why believe her now?

Because she knows damn well she doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting it passed

It's not that she's become some kind of RKBA advocate overnight, it's simple political realism.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
What is needed is for people who value their gun rights, is to write their Congressmen and Senators and tell them to not do anything to take way our guns, or get voted out, or impeached, or worse. I do this all the time, I even write the Obama team. Why doesn't everyone do this? If we all stand together on an issue, what else can they do but go along with us?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Well that's exactly what people have been doing, and it's working, despite the scare campaign.

If you look carefully at recent Democratic gains, you'll find that many of the new Democrats are of the "Blue Dog Democrat" variety, and that most of them are gun control opponents.

This is not by accident, this is part of the Democratic Party's strategy, especially since Howard Dean (another pro-gun Dem) took the chairmanship of the DNC. The gun control advocates are becoming increasingly marginalized in the party, because without the gun control issue dogging Kerry (and his lame response) he probably would have won the 2004 election, it was so close that gun rights advocates probably made the difference.

Even Democrats who may be gun control advocates, like Nancy Pelosi and Joe Biden, realize that gun control is an issue on which they have lots of votes to lose, and few to gain.

The anti-gun lobby saw it's heyday during the Clinton administration, since then it's all been downhill for them, as most Americans are starting to wake up to the fact that gun control laws have had no impact on gun crime (except arguably to make the problem worse.)

The SCOTUS Heller case put the final nail in the gun-banner's coffin, IMO, because I doubt they will ever have the support to pass a minor law like the AWB, let what they really want: a total ban on individual gun ownership. Which, now that the Supreme Court has finally stated the obvious - that the Second protects an individual right - would require a Constitutional Amendment.

[edit on 3/9/09 by xmotex]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This doesn't scare you?

I couldn't find where this bill is at but come on. Bills like this and HR1022 can be generated in a heart beat. All that is needed is some mass killing (government black op)and we that own firearms will be the new demons.

Never take you eye off of the goings on in D.C.!

Roper

H.R. 45 (Rush): This bill would require a license for handguns and semiautomatics, including those currently possessed. The applicant must be thumbprinted and sign a certification that, effectively, the firearm will not be kept in a place where it would be available for the defense of the gun owner’s family. The applicant must also make available ALL of his psychiatric records, pass an exam, and pay a fee of up to $25. The license may be renewed after five years and may be revoked. Private sales would be outlawed, and reports to the attorney general of all transactions would be required, even when, as the bill allows, the AG determines that a state licensing system is sufficiently draconian to substitute for the federal license. With virtually no exceptions, ALL firearms transactions (involving semiautos, handguns, long guns, etc.) would be subject to a Brady check. In addition, the bill would make it unlawful in nearly all cases to keep any loaded firearm for self-defense. A variety of “crimes by omission” (such as failure to report certain things) would be created. Criminal penalties of up to ten years and almost unlimited regulatory and inspection authority would be established.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
HR.45 is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

Sure, it's a ridiculous, scary bill, but it's not going anywhere: it has no cosponsors, and it's doubtful it will ever even be voted on, let alone become law.

Gun control, at the federal level at least, is becoming a "loser" issue: nobody in their right mind wants to touch it.

Not even Nancy freaking Pelosi

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
My friend I hope you are right.

I don't trust'em.

Roper

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Well it never hurts to be vigilant: it's because of that kind of vigilance that bills like this get flushed down the drain

I am uncomfortable with some of the scaremongering on the gun issue, people seem to think the ATF is going to show up next Wednesday and raid their house for guns. That kind of fear is completely unwarranted given the current political climate IMO.

On the other hand, it's clear if people don't stand up for their rights - any rights, not just Second Amendment ones - some clown will take them away.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I've heard all of the rhetoric before and they still found ways to make ownership illegal or impossible; depending on which end of the spectrum you were on. Sure, the Supremes made ownership a Constitutionally protected right, but you can rest assured that they will attack ammo and such next. Remember... the Supremes only uphold the law and determine its Constitionality. Let the liberals rewrite the laws without making ownership illegal, but seriously difficult, and you have a whole new game - and a whole new game is exactly what they're trying next.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I would like to point out that at a Friends of the NRA Banquet there is no politicking going on. We don't bash the President or anyone. We just play games for firearms and hunting stuff, silent auction , a live auction and eat very well.

The money goes to the shooting sports, mostly youth.

The reason of my post and it could be taken different ways is simple. The people are wising up. Look at the gun sales, sky rocket. This wasn't the NRA scaring people, it was the people saying "not again". Firearm sales and ammo jumped right after the election, the NRA didn't have time to print a magazine to scare anyone.

Everyone saw and felt what the Clinton Adm. did and saw that it wasn't good.

NOT AGAIN!

If it's scare tactics, just watch the MSM every night.

Roper

top topics

join