It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Owlman of Mawnan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I wish they would make a movie about owl man. And I wish they would make another mothman movie, one that more closely follows the book. I liked the movie, I just wish they would make another go at it.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni
I wish they would make a movie about owl man. And I wish they would make another mothman movie, one that more closely follows the book. I liked the movie, I just wish they would make another go at it.

Well, not only is Monsterquest going to be ding an episode about it for History channel, I believe filming has actually just wrapped for a new Mothman film.

Unfortunately I don't think that Owly will be making the 'big screen' anytime soon.

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Genus_Unknown

There was a sort of owlman fim called skellig the owlman based on a childrens book. The other mothman film was a syfi channel shocker (bad not frightening! )

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I remember this thread when it first came about and found the subject very interesting as it is so specifically localized ... it would be great to get some updates on old 'Owly' ... especially from any members who live in Cornwall (personal experiences / local stories) ... or indeed if anything similar has ever been seen anywhere else in the country.

I feel like this is quite the untapped cryptid as far as detail is concerned but has so much potential.

Woody

posted on Jun, 12 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Genus_Unknown

Interesting thread OP,s+f.I am a great owl-lover but seeing that thing at night would definitely have the same effect as a handful of Senokots

posted on Jun, 13 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genus_Unknown
Indeed this does appear to be a illustration from Native Amreican legend, but I put it up to show the similarities in description with both The Mothman and the Owlman of Mawnan, which would lead me to believe that both of those critters (and quite possibly the beastie in the illustration) could well be 'Tulpas'. If you remember, Mothman appeared in an area that was allegedly cursed by Native Americans, or namely Chief Cornstalk.

I think I may have to start documenting accounts of winged beasties with glowing eyes, and see what the correlation to them and their geography is *scratches chin thoughtfully*

And indeed, your avatar is most yummy. Needs Marmite tho

i don't belive The Mothman to be a Tulpa entity, there are recordings of creatures similar to him way before Point Pleasent. But it would explain what i saw when i was a child. The Mothman last sightign was aroudn two years ago back in Japan earthquake and Tulpas, or like called by paranormal investigators "Residual haunting' woudl knew a very strong belif and milions of people beliving in the entity for him to obtain such status.

I don't know what the hell booth are, but the Owl man and Mothman are obvilious connected, we just don't know what they are. I bet that they are in fact pagan gods like beelzebub doing their job.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Hi all,

nice to see that my humble thread is still generating some interest! I'm actually slowly writing a paper on the possible Mothman/Owlman connections (just for my own satisfaction really) at the moment.

I'm currently reading 'Mothman and Other Curious Encounters' by Loren Coleman. He makes some interesting comments about the Mothman, and does indeed mention that some odd looking avian critters had been seen in the vicinity of Point Pleasant way before 'Mothman' put in an appearance.

Anyhoo, I have been looking around the net for info on owls etc, as I do want to see if these sightings of Mothman and The Owlman could have possibly been misidentifications, when I stumbled across this rather interesting article:

Parts of Washington state’s Soaring Eagle Park trails remain closed after several people have been attacked by an aggressive owl, and there was a similar incident near Kirkland over the weekend."

Here is the link to the full article

So it's not a great leap of faith to consider that what was seen in the woods by Mawnan church was an aggressive owl. A quick search on the net will show you what some owls will do and look like when threatened, and to someone who is not used to seeing wildlife up close and personal (and angry!) could well scare them senseless. While this could satisfy some aspects of the Owlman/Mothman encounters, it doesn't answer all points. For example, the squealing/high pitched noise that often accompanied the Mothman, and the crackling sound allegedly heard in the trees in Mawnan after the Owlman took off.

Of course, one major aspect that turns up consistently in both stories is that the creatures both took off straight up, without flapping its wings...

Just some more food for thought!
edit on 9/4/2013 by Genus_Unknown because: spelling!

edit on 9/4/2013 by Genus_Unknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Genus_Unknown
Hi all,

nice to see that my humble thread is still generating some interest! I'm actually slowly writing a paper on the possible Mothman/Owlman connections (just for my own satisfaction really) at the moment.

I'm currently reading 'Mothman and Other Curious Encounters' by Loren Coleman. He makes some interesting comments about the Mothman, and does indeed mention that some odd looking avian critters had been seen in the vicinity of Point Pleasant way before 'Mothman' put in an appearance.

Anyhoo, I have been looking around the net for info on owls etc, as I do want to see if these sightings of Mothman and The Owlman could have possibly been misidentifications, when I stumbled across this rather interesting article:

Parts of Washington state’s Soaring Eagle Park trails remain closed after several people have been attacked by an aggressive owl, and there was a similar incident near Kirkland over the weekend."

Here is the link to the full article

So it's not a great leap of faith to consider that what was seen in the woods by Mawnan church was an aggressive owl. A quick search on the net will show you what some owls will do and look like when threatened, and to someone who is not used to seeing wildlife up close and personal (and angry!) could well scare them senseless. While this could satisfy some aspects of the Owlman/Mothman encounters, it doesn't answer all points. For example, the squealing/high pitched noise that often accompanied the Mothman, and the crackling sound allegedly heard in the trees in Mawnan after the Owlman took off.

Of course, one major aspect that turns up consistently in both stories is that the creatures both took off straight up, without flapping its wings...

Just some more food for thought!
edit on 9/4/2013 by Genus_Unknown because: spelling!

edit on 9/4/2013 by Genus_Unknown because: (no reason given)

There's always the explanation for misdentification with wild animals. Whomever kids stated to see this creature. I don't think kids would ever think on creating such an elaborated story just to end up being a owl. The similarities with the all bat-men cases around the world is stunning and i don't think that news like those traveled that fast back those days.

The Mothman was also described to pursuit cars at ridiculous speeds (over 80 mp/h) without even flapping it's wings. Some people who saw him stated him to circle the car ignoring totally the phisic laws.

My best bet is that they really saw something that they cannot explain.

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Frocharocha

I don't doubt for a minute that they saw something that they couldn't explain. I just like to explore all avenues of investigation to satisfy my curiosity. The problem that we have though, is that when a story like this gets out, anyone coming forward after the initial witness reports should be handled carefully, because you just don't know if they are jumping on the 15 minutes of fame bandwagon or not, which makes things tough for an investigator looking into such claims. I'm pretty sure that the initial eye witnesses were savvy on what an owl looked like, and even relatively certain of an approximate size. When you see an owl the size of a man, well, that's certainly food for thought! lol!

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
These beasts really do exist. I've seen one myself though it wasn't Owlman or Mothman.

It was Condor Man:

www.youtube.com...
edit on 1-10-2013 by Scorchio because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
There is a nuclear plant across the river from Point Pleasant. I was just there a couple weeks ago. Stopped and took a few pictures of the statue and talked to the locals. If you go there you find out the story is pretty hyped up. Very few people actually saw mothman, it was mostly a thing the teens scared each other with. Also the tv shows play it up like its still going on but mothman hast been seen since 66.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join