It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool article about Atlantis and Lemuria

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by Hollywood11

Atlantis is proven many times over here.

You have proof of a bronze age culture that existed 6,000 years before the bronze age and was defeated by another bronze age culture 6,000 years before the bronze age (or, indeed, that named culture existed) and whose capital city was destroyed in an earthquake and the land around it was flooded such that shallow shoals now cover the site?

Or are you referring to a different Atlantis?

(There can, of course, be only one Atlantis - that as described by Plato. A bit like Narnia really. Only that described by CS Lewis is really Narnia)

btw for a really good read about Lemuria and Mu and such things I thoroughly recommend Ted Nield's book Supercontinent
It has a great chapter explaining how the concepts of such imaginary places evolved and how ludicrous they really are.

plato is not the only reference but besides that... atlantis belongs to itself. anything plato or anyone else said about it has no bearing on what it is. it is a happy coincidence that a structure physically as described exists so that there is no squabbling over an acceptable name.

and concerning the supercontinent fellow... has he proven he knows his geography? does he know that a sea filled the carpathian basin at the end of the ice age? if he doesn't know the simple facts of geography, he really can't comment on what is imaginary.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parta

plato is not the only reference

Plato is the first reference to Atlantis.

anything plato or anyone else said about it has no bearing on what it is.

Ah right. So that means it can be whatever you want it to be, wherever you what it to be, whenever you want it to be. How convenient

Atlantis is and can only be what Plato described.

Atlantis may however have been based/inspired by other places.

and concerning the supercontinent fellow... has he proven he knows his geography? does he know that a sea filled the carpathian basin at the end of the ice age? if he doesn't know the simple facts of geography, he really can't comment on what is imaginary.

Probably not because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject matter of his book

Anyway, it would have been a glacial lake not a sea
(not aware of any papers on the subject but I have no reason off hand to suppose such a lake didn't exist).

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Plato is the first reference to Atlantis.

no not the first unless it benefits you to get hungup on the actual usage of the name. its pretty hollow

Probably not because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject matter of his book

Anyway, it would have been a glacial lake not a sea
(not aware of any papers on the subject but I have no reason off hand to suppose such a lake didn't exist).

but essan you used him to explain why atlantis doesn't exist. why did you do that if it has nothing to do with his book? i challenge any opinion he has on any subject you could site as an argument against atlantis based on him not being able to separate reality from make believe in the first place.

... not a salt sea but the other definition of pelagos... a flooded plain on oceanus potamos...

re:Hungary sues Slovakia at the Hague... over the gabcikovo canal

"The environmental stakes in this case are very high: The wetlands involved are the remains of the only inland sea delta in Europe. This delta survived since the last Ice Age, when the Pannon Sea filled the Carpathian Basin. Some 400 unique species have survived from what used to be this Pannon sea delta, and what today is called the Szigetkoz ("the region of a thousand islands"--in Hungarian), where, since the rerouting, not a single island remains,--as there is no water."

Béla G. Lipták, listed in Who’s Who of American Scientists and Engineers, an ISA Fellow since 1973, and a past professor at Yale University. In 1995, he was invited to teach as a Fulbright Scholar.
more

i used to be able to get you to look at the 6th minute of the budapest episode of the history channel series "cities of the underworld" at youtube but the greek "owner" took it down.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parta

but essan you used him to explain why atlantis doesn't exist.

I recommended folk read his book with regards Lemuria and Mu

The book itself is largely about plate tectonics. You should read it

btw thanks for the quote re Pannon Sea etc. Also found this:

www.searchanddiscovery.net...

Not sure it has any relevance to 'Atlantis' either though since it seems to have existed 3 million years ago. Can't find any reference to any significant body of water existing in the Carpathian basin post ice age - it would appear to have been woods and grassland:

www.grasshabit.hu...

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
i lost my interest in plates back in university. geotechnical engineering was twice as fun as it sounds. mass sediment deposition in a cuvete turns my crank for some reason. really cool things happen.

it is the offical position of the hungarian and romanian governments [and the world court at the hague] that the basin was filling up AGAIN by 23kya [heidleberg at uivar] and dried up mysteriously sometime in the last 10ky [6250bc flood at padina/lepinski vir] with the last massive lakes [vovajde sea] disappearing at the hands of prince eugene of savoy.

it should be noted the royal society of geographers london published this prewar but unfortunately in was attached to a subject that became taboo.. alpine, nordic and meddy racial origins. see myres at jstor [u:cardozo/p:verdict]

cheers

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Parta

I find tectnics far more interesting than sedimentation

Anyway, looks like you know a lot more about this particular area than I do. Suffice to say it's not related to what I was saying before, and I'm assuming you believe that this may have been the location of a place which later came to be known as (or inspired the story of) Atlantis?

In which case it would better fits the facts of Plato's tale than any impossible sunken continent in the Atlantic!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
you are a fire person and i am a water person. there we go.

its a very simple and graceful solution. too simple and graceful for most to grasple. noone initially believes we are capable as a race of having such a a collective brainfart. the problem is that its nothing fancy nor weird just plain simple geology, geography, anthropolgy and good luck... followed by really really bad luck [and finally communism]

it is written about everywhere [in everyone mythology] and everything is still there just as everyone says. thank the sediments.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
the 'basin' could not have been Plato's 12,000BCE 'Atlantis'

source: www.hunmagyar.org...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUNGARIAN HISTORICAL CHRONOLOGY
© Copyright HUNMAGYAR.ORG

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE SETTLEMENT OF THE CARPATHIAN BASIN
5000 BCE

The first of several waves of Near Eastern settlers appear in the Carpathian Basin, the territory of Historical Hungary. The archeological, anthropological, ethno-linguistic and historical evidence indicates that the Carpathian Basin was settled in successive waves from approximately 5000 BCE by the Neolithic, Copper and Bronze Age peoples originating from Anatolia, Transcaucasia and Mesopotamia, followed by the Turanian peoples of Central Eurasia: the Scythians (6th c. BC),[...]

the evidence tell us that (mythic) Atlantis 12000bce & neolithic humans in the Carpathian Basin 5000bce- are 7,000 years apart!

I still harbor idea that the present BlackSea was once a tiny glacial lake with an advanced society living on a island...
until the area was inundated from sudden lake & river water from the n/w
and by the Mediterranian breaking through the Bosphorus during a 6 month period... near the 12000bce era... the folklore Atlantis may have existed for 100s of years & was incorporated into cultural lores of various tribes. the Sumerians story became the tale of Gilgamesh & the flood,
which the ancient Hebrews borrowed for their flood story

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Recent evidence suggests that this "major flood" was no more than a fifteen to thirty foot increase, and that over several days.
Link to Nat Geo story

Harte

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

as the basin dried out, it was repopulated bit by bit and well before 5000bce.

source

starcevo

since europeans at the time [12kya] could not eat wheat all in all, the type of "farming" one needs to look for is large cow pens... really large cowpens and on ground above the max water height.

[edit on 13-3-2009 by Parta]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join