It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This song shows how sick we have become

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I feel the intent here, is to reveal or show up the ugliness of our dumbed down consumerism, in otherwords its quite political. That being said, she didn't present it in a way that clarifies this to a younger generation perhaps, as its ambiguous and dry .

If she had really intended to educate something in the ending would have indicated her true nature, instead it left her hanging, almost helpless and asleep in the system. As an adult this is subtle, but a teenager is just going to hear the words. And words repeated, with cool sounding cuss words, set to music is a strong form of NLP. Or a kind of magic almost, if you will. So I can see this song serving a dual purpose. I think it seems to be a sophisticated statement actually serving a darker purpose.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by mystiq]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
I feel the intent here, is to reveal or show up the ugliness of our dumbed down consumerism, in otherwords its quite political. That being said, she didn't present it in a way that clarifies this to a younger generation perhaps, as its ambiguous and dry .

If she had really intended to educate something in the ending would have indicated her true nature, instead it left her hanging, almost helpless and asleep in the system. As an adult this is subtle, but a teenager is just going to hear the words. And words repeated, with cool sounding cuss words, set to music is a strong form of NLP. Or a kind of magic almost, if you will. So I can see this song serving a dual purpose. I think it seems to be a sophisticated statement actually serving a darker purpose.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by mystiq]

This is elitism at it's worst. Any teenager who actually uses their brain to think is going to get the sentiment behind it. It's not like adults are much smarter; they just have more responsibilities and spend all night drinking less often. People grow up to be less extreme, not necessarily wiser.

Hell, teenagers are very prone to that particular kind of empty, hopelessly discouraged anti-authoritarian sentiment that makes up maybe a quarter of all posts on ATS. This sort of song is MADE for them.

For that matter, it's seriously not very subtle. People don't expect all media to be like aesop's fables these days; you don't need a denouement where you spell out in plain speech exactly the lesson you were trying to convey; if they didn't get the message, they were probably not listening to the words at all.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by mdiinican]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Some teenagers, but awake ones are not amongst the majority. My ones are awake, but their friends could hardly be called that. This is NLP.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Fine example of how those wily bastards, TPTB, use an artist's sincere sentiment to further their own nefarious agenda [which includes more than making lodes of cash].

Look at the ubiquitous gangsta rap phenomenon [I was weaned on the stuff in 1980's Detroit, so I'm familiar with the concept]. Artists may claim to only be revealing a sign of the times, yet the youthful listeners [and older ones as well, at times!] parrot the lyrics in a fit of narcissistic "F it!" sing-alongs.

Flame on, deniers.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   
The fact that this Artist and her lyrics are being discussed is proof positive that the music has had an effect. I guess Lily Allen wants to put across, her observations on society, without sounding preachy to the youth. She has pitched it right and that's why her CDs sell.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Circle
The fact that this Artist and her lyrics are being discussed is proof positive that the music has had an effect. I guess Lily Allen wants to put across, her observations on society, without sounding preachy to the youth. She has pitched it right and that's why her CDs sell.

I'm not knocking the meaning or message behind this song... good on her.
But SERIOUSLY??

Her music and songs sell...because cheesy throw-away pop sells!!
It's been that way for a long time now... most decent music is either underground or made 15+ years ago...

Lily Allen is slightly better than the spice girls/pussycat dolls kinda crap....but only ever so slightly.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:15 AM
link   
"The Fear" reminds me a lot about another song, back in the 80s, called "Material Girl" by Madonna. That artist became huge on the music scene. It looks like its going the same way for Lily. You might call it "throw-away" music but that is why the song is so clever. It's meant to reflect our throw-away consumer society.

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Circle]

[edit on 11-3-2009 by Circle]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Does she write her own lyrics? If that's the case, a lot of commercial artists who also write are given "certain" liberties, as long as they don't write about politics or use strong symbolic words regarding death, blood, and other stuff.
She's a product targeted at teens "like her", so that song either written by her or someone else, is clearly just what their target want.
If she wrote it, it was convenient to release it, because what she feels or thinks has to do with her as a commercial product. Maybe she also writes about politics, but that would never be released.
To sum up: it's all commerce targeted on a specific market, so you can wonder whether it's a good message, or the message itself, however good it may be, just ends up inciting the very things it denounces.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Circle

No no.... i call it throw away music because it's rubbish and should be thrown away.
She can't really sing....her text-message type song titles and lyrics are annoying and her show...lily allen and friends.... OMG.... just awful.

It is a sad reflection of society.... that this talentless loser can get famous and make money.

I wonder if her dad wasn't famous....... would she be?
And i know....i know.... she did it all on myspace and has like a million friends on there... but come on, seriously??

It's no better than Britney Spears or any of the artist she claims to hate.
I have to say...i know music is a personal thing and I'm not trying to be rude or mean... but this is throw away pop....not just this song, but her entire back catalogue.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

This song is not shallow or crap, lets look at it as satire:

Lily Allen The Fear Lyrics:
[Verse 1]
I want to be rich, and I want lots of money
I don't care about clever, I don't care about funny

- an attack against people being judged on their wealth. It seems to be about money and not brains or talent.

I want loads of clothes, and ****loads of diamonds
I heard people die while they're trying to find them
And I'll take my clothes off and it will be shameless
‘Cuz everyone knows that's how you get famous
I'll look at the sun and I'll look in the mirror
I'm on the right track, yeah, I'm on to a winner

- Lily here is attacking judging people by outward appearances, either with their fine clothes on, or showing off a naked body. Not that either thing is necessarily wrong, but what about the inner person?

[Chorus]
I don't know what's right and what's real anymore
And I don't know how I'm meant to feel anymore
But when do you think it will all become clear?
‘Cuz I'm being taken over by The Fear

- Hit the nail on the head with that one Lily! I see a lot of youth (not all) walking around not knowing what is right or wrong these days. They have no role models - look at the shameful greed of our politicians, business leaders and religious hierarchy.

[Verse 2]
Life’s about film stars, and less about mothers
it's all about fast cars, and cussing each other

- Life is about entertainment and not about nurture it would appear. What can you do to amuse me? No,you can't entertain me - f@*@ off then.

But it doesn't matter, 'cuz I'm packing plastic

- reference to Credit Cuture on plastic or plastic surgery or both?

And that's what makes my life so ******* fantastic
And I am a weapon of massive consumption
And it's not my fault, it's how I'm programmed to function
I'll look at the sun, and I'll look in the mirror
I'm on the right track, yeah, we're on to a winner

- What are you programmed to do?

[Chorus]

[Bridge]
Forget about guns, and forget ammunition
Cause I'm killing them all on my own little mission
Now I'm not a saint, but I'm not a sinner
And everything's cool as long as I'm getting thinner

- there is more ways to kill people than just with guns. That's deep! People are killed off by a certain type of mind-set controlled by global business and greedy capatilists. How thin do we go before we die of moral starvation?

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The point here is that irony works both ways, on the just and un-just alike.

Lily Allen is a talent. Look into the lyrics of the newest Coldplay albums for more insight into subtextual Illumination.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Circle

Originally posted by blupblup
I'm not knocking the meaning or message behind this song... good on her.

I'll re-post what i originally said.... you clearly missed it.

I'm not arguing about it man....it's pointless.
I don't like anything about Lilly Allen.....from her crap TV show....to her juvenile rubbish music.

THIS song...is OK....not the music....not her voice but the lyrics.

You do like her and her music.....we will never agree so let's just not bother eh??

[edit on 11/3/09 by blupblup]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This song is a LEGEND! You think this is a plot? I'm sure that the NWO doesn not have THAT much time to put subliminal messages inside music videos

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join