It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our current society is one huge cult!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I was reading the links on this page www.freedomofmind.com...

You can alternately begin from here www.freedomofmind.com... and simply browse the pages. Warning! it's a long but otherwise, good read!

This isn't a conspiracy site but owned by Steven Hassan who is an ex-cult and has become cult researcher.

Based on the site, I've found that many aspects of our society is based on cult practices. Especially those found in a corporate environment.

Although not as extreme as some cults. Relatively speaking, our society speak subtly of this indoctrination, but strong at the same due to years of brainwashing. So subtle that it's almost impossible to notice. It's also become impossible to notice due to the extent of it's reach and power(backed by the biggest companies around the world)

I won't bother summarizing all the similarities, but one which is popularized by the media and entertainment - "If you ain't in, you're out, if you're out, you ain't cool!". Destruction of the individuality, simply put, is one of the core practices of a cult organization.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by ahnggk]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
You don't need to convince me! I completely agree that 'society' is riddled with cult behavior/practices. Is it any wonder the worlds in the mess it's in now.

IRM

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

In the sixth century BC, the historical Buddha said:

Rely not on the teacher/person, but on the teaching.
Rely not on the words of the teaching, but on the spirit of the words.
Rely not on theory, but on experience.
Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
Do not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything because it is written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.
Kalama Sutra (ancient Buddhist text)

after reading this little bit twice,and then thinking of what the (supposed) jesus had to say and then i knew right away what this fellow is talking about

things get distorted so much over the years, and now, anyone who strays from the mainstream is left to themselves, or the following links are just a sample of what happens when we choose to think rather then follow, and decide for ourselves what to think about

(this was posted before) -
Conspiracy Theorist: As a Mental Illness

(this one)
Are Conspiracy Theorists Mentally Ill

Fox host: 9/11 truthers are mentally ill

Climate 'denial' is now a mental disorder

of course even posting this might get me another label, and i already have two many

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
A lot of this extends from the study of psychology. We are (in a way) hard wired to form these groups (in/out, cool/uncool) from a very young age. I can see why it would be called brainwashing. We (as society) want to perform. When we examine the differences between individualistic and collective societies light is shed on this subject.

A prominent, yet unrepeatable, experiment pertaining to this: Milgram's experiment on Obedience (1963). After WWII, Milgram was baffeled by the way that Germans had gotten behind Hitler, and he began research into what causes this type of obedience. He set out to test the compliance of 40 volunteers who were instructed to administer "shocks" to the "learner". The "teacher" (subject) watched as the "learner" (control) was strapped into a chair and hooked up to electrodes. Then the "teacher" was brought into a seperate room where the (fake) "shock generator" was located, and as the "learner" made mistakes the "teacher" was instructed to administer increasing degrees of electric shock. Many subjects displayed signifigant stress, but 65% administered the maximum shocks requested by the experimenter, (if it had been real, people would have been injured). The findings of the experiment: there is little varriance in compliance between gender, there is higher rates of compliance when subjects are "gradually" exposed to the demands, if there is an authority figure ultimately responsible, compliance is much higher. Basically, the whole thing boils down to the fact that the situation you are in determins more about your reaction than the kind of person you are. But why?

We want to trust authority that says they are doing the right thing. We want to believe that someone knows what the hell is going on, and that they are taking care of it, because we know that we are not. You might assume that there is a correlation between compliance and collective societies as opposed to indiviualistic societies. Collective societies care more about the greater good, they expect to comply but not to hurt eachother, (hurting you is hurting me.) Indiviualistic societies: hurting you is hurting you.

While it is true that a prominent characteristc of cults is the loss of "self", this type of obidence is a form of escapism. "We" are not responsible once we "turn over" our individuality. This is a theme of organized religion (other cults?) as well.

To assert that America is a giant, brain-washed cult, is to say that all hope is lost, that our situation of obidence cannot be altered, and in a way, submit to those ideas. However, "we" possess a resiliancy and strong idenity. We break from your social norms and fight cult-like thinking. We may not know what will happen next, but I for one take comfort in the fact that I see my choice to participate in the best way for me. I can see that you do too. (HOPE is not an illusion).

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Great points and thread!
Consumerism is our religion and Walmart is God.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom

Consumerism is our religion and Walmart is God.

I had no idea! It all makes sense, now!

PS - The entire atomic & subtle Universe is a gripping Cult.

My advice, get the heck Out.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SS,Naga

For real? Or are you just giving me a hard time?

I'm pretty sure you mean well and agree with me.
If not, good luck with the new reality that is America.
BTW, I hear panama is nice!

www.survivalrealty.com...

P.S. I should of said:
Consumerism is our religion and walmart is OUR God.
If it helps you focus your thoughts, I am so glad!
It was designed that way! I am merely a vessel.

Remember, religion is of man, therefore influenced upon.
Spirituality is from God and is a gift to be appreciated.

Peace and love be with U

[edit on 9-3-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

I wasn't being derisive of your post statement...I even starred it!

I agree. My wife and I are devout Wal-Marters (martyrs).

Peace!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Even those of us who think we have it figured out, think we've got the drop on "them" --, even we were probably planned for long ago and they're one step ahead of us.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Frightening. Could be true, but then what is to be done? All that can be accomplished is to really try to live outside the "cult" mentality. Things are changing, they always are. The change in the "American mentality" is slow yet measurable. There can even be a "wild card" factor...for if THEY already know about "our" subversive, cult-sabotaging thinking, what are "they" going to do about the power in our eventual numbers?

I love a good theory.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I'd like to add that these cult also vary between age groups. No thanks to the media and entertainment.

This leads to one of the symptoms of cult influence >> broken/messed families. This doesn't actually need to reach physical separation of family members, it can be mental and spiritual. When you can no longer make any meaningful conversation to your teenage son and daughter, wife, husband or vice versa..

How to get out of this cult? Simply be yourself. Try to look back at the time before you tried copying every trend or everything popular. Pursue that old dream before you think that getting rich is what life is all about. Try looking back and appreciate yourself before society got a hold of your life. Be that person!

But I have to say that fighting for your individuality is full of pain. But it's a battle worth fighting for because you're actually fighting for your identity, you're fighting for what makes you, You!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SS,Naga

Thanks for the star! LOL
Walmartyrs? Thats a good one! LOL!
Peace be wth U 2!

P.S. Just dont get caught in the stampedes! LOL

[edit on 10-3-2009 by dodadoom]

new topics

top topics

join