It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intro/Religion/Aliens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I have been lurking on and off these boards for several years now... I have created a few user names in the past, but lets hope that this one stays active and is not deleted!!!

Anywyas, having to do mostly with aliens, and somewhat with religion, i was just watching a show on the history channel provided by comcast here in the US. They, again, brought up how ancient civilizations were describing aliens in there ancient texts. I have been thinking for a few hours about this, and have thought of a little experiment. If you were alive 2000 years ago, and I showed you something as simple as a bicycle, how would you describe the workings of my bike?

you are allowed to touch it, walk around it, move the levers and pedals. you are NOT allowed to ride my bike under any circumstances. You are merely allowed to examine my bicycle in detail. now describe what you see as if you were alive 2000 or 3000 years ago. how does it work, how would someone use it? what is it made of? what are the different parts...

I am in college in the US, and I am doing a research paper for one class... I would appreciate responses, although none are necessary for the completion of my research, I would just very much like to hear what all of you have to say about describing my bicycle 2000-3000 years in the future. I hope my directions are clear enough... basically i want you to pretend you were living 2000-3000 years ago... but lets be general... ( i will say anywhere from ancient egypt to modern christianity... to anything inbetween... 4000BCE to 1000BCE... whatever you can relate most to)... describe the workings of a modern bicycle. eg you can sit on this machine and go 5 times as fast as someone on foot, 2x as fast as someone on horseback. you can stop 4 times as fast as a horse, from 20 to 0 in the same distance as a horse from 10 to 0... etc. the bike needs no food, the horse is constant investment... etc...

just describe my modern bicycle in terms of 2000-3000 years in teh past... what vocabulary would you use, what verbs and nouns can you relate to... remember a bicycle is pretty mundane technology, a chain turns only ONE of the wheels, friction with the ground makes you go... the OTHER wheel steers you... what are wheels... why do these wheels seem to float on such think "sticks" (spokes), explain that... explain the most basic to the most detailed...

just keep the mindset of a human 2000-3000 years in the past... what accounts for foward motion? what accounts for wheels "floating" on shiny sticks (spokes), etc.

give it a shot, i would love to hear you explanations!!!

(PLEASE PLEASE keep in mind that your responses are NOT integral to the outcome of my paper... in fact, i have already submitted an abstract, and am due to lecture publicly on my paper in May. I would just LOVE to hear personal responses regarding my topic, regarding the perception of ancient cultures on modern technologies.)

Thank you all,
Oaney

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Interesting topic.

When it comes to UFOs from the present skeptics do not believe on a photograph without witnesses supporting the story. Make sense, doesn't it?

When it comes to UFOs from the remote past the accounts from the witnesses are regarded as nonsense by the same UFO enthusiasts.

Then you see comments like:

"They thought those were gods, but they were aliens".

So, they were morons.

But when you look at the monuments they builted, then it happens they were very clever mathematicians.

My point is, I do not think they were morons.

I think we should try to give some credit to those witness accounts because they are as relevant as the witness accounts from nowadays cases.

Perhaps like that we can get some new light into the topic.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by oaney

I don't think it would matter if you had a bicycle or a toaster for ancient people to examine.

In reguards to the program you mentioned, my feelings about ancient art is that by saying those people were putting into art, things they saw sort of upset me.

Being an artist, I sometimes creat works of art that have nothing to do with anything. I simply use my imagination. Sometimes my art is abstract, sometimes it is of everyday things.

In 2,ooo years, if somebody finds my work, do you suppose they will surmise that I had alien contact because it is something out of the norm for this time period?

Think about it, nobody knows what was on the mind of the artist at the time.

The only thing that I found interesting in the show was how some structures seemed to be similar, in the form of pyramids, which are all around the world.

To that I say, it could be some sort of mass consciousness.

new topics

join